2 boys, 2 bikes and 2 weeks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cable tie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
It is now one year later and finally I get to writing a report about a trip I will never forget. It started as a mate and I wanted to do some climbing at Spitzkoppe in Namibia. We decided to do a small detour  and opted to go via Botswana and through the Caprivi and then down the Spitzkoppe.  This was August 2008. We had two weeks for the trip and with the planned millage was on a tight schedule.
The bikes: 1x BMW DAKAR and 1x KTM 640.
We packed everything we will need and then even stuff we didn’t and then the climbing gear including a 60m rope! Nose in the sky, these two bikes were! I used the BMW panniers and top box and my mate had old alu( think hepco’s) panniers without a top box. Thanks to Adveturer for all the help with my Dak!
biketrip023.jpg

Day one. Very excited we left THE Boksburg at around 12pm and planned to get to Botswana(Palapye) the same night. Just about 100km from the house before the second toll gate on the N1 I realized my Duan didn’t come through the toll gate…checked my phone and saw a message from him saying HELP!! Turned back and saw his KTM unpacked already on the middle man. Bike just cut out and won’t start. Checked wiring and decided to bridge out a fuse…it worked, but when the bike almost went up in flames we realized we need professional help.
biketrip024.jpg

Called a mate in PTA to come and pick up the bike, from there we got in touch with a certain forum member we didn’t know called Runner. It was late when we got there and he was still operating from his house so the man was not short of words….as we now know him to be.
BotsNam082008532.jpg

biketrip028.jpg

Eish! What a start to the trip. We decided that night to just enjoy it and see how far we get! That changed the mood and we started to enjoy things with that frame of mind. Stayed at Emile’s house for the night. He rides a KTM 950.
biketrip027.jpg

Day two. Runner sorted the wiring by about 9am and we were ready to head out. Runner baie dankie vir jou hulp, goeie ou met n interessante “vocabulary”! So that night we reached Palapye only one day late. Stayed over at Camp Itumela in a canvas tent. Now the Holliday started.
BotsNam082008378.jpg

The next morning we headed for Kasane via Francistown. When we filled up the morning in town. The bikes were heavy and the KTM struggled to get onto the centre stand and eventually Duan dropped his KTM on a old rusty Cresida and left a nasty gash in the door. The driver smiled and R300 we fixed his mirror and rode to Francistown where we got Lunch.
biketripduan047.jpg
This chap was stiling his mini at our lunch table.
That evening we stayed over at a river camp(cant remember the name) in Kasane. The security tried to sell us a hooker and I must say that left a bad impression of the place, but besides that not bad. I guess the fact that he came to us must mean that some bikers has excepted the offer…EISH.

biketrip060.jpg
Sorry for the pictures, but it got better as the trip went on.

Code:
funacide - Edited Picture Links