The Lesotho Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So a month and a bit back i got thinking about doing a trip to Lesotho. Preferably something more adventurous than most Lesotho trips.

So i sent out a couple of invites with possible dates and got 6 takers to start with. As the planning went on so the numbers dropped, some with excuses about work commitments, others because they hurt themselves falling off their bikes, rather lame if you ask me :twisted:

The planning got well under way and a route was decided upon, with no real fixed itenary planned. We made allowance for 4 days:
Day 1 - JHB to Himeville
Day 2 - Himeville to Katse Dam via Sani Pass
Day 3 - Katse Dam to Oxbow via Kao Mine road :shock:
Day 4 - Oxbow to JHB via Phujiditaba Border??

Day 1
So the day finally arrives, Thursday 23 November.
3 of us, Adrian, RTR and myself meet at the BP on William Nicol at 6.00am to start the journey to Himeville.
Meet.jpg

Nothing special on the route, follow the N3 to Villiers and have a hearty breakfast at the Wimpy.
From Villers we followed the alternate route through to Harrismith and then turned off towards Sterkfontein Dam and Oliveirs Hoek pass.
Sterkies:
Sterkfontein.jpg

Sterk1.jpg

Top of Oliviers Hoek Pass looking into Kwazulu Natal:
OliveirsPass.jpg

Followed the pass through to Bergville, other places and finally to Mooiriver. The alternate route definitely serves a better road than the N3.

Stopped for lunch on Nottingham road at a fantastic spot, Bierfassel, for a well deserved lunch and then headed for the off road to Himeville.
Lunch spot:
Lunch.jpg

Time to hit the scenic roads. Having never been down these parts on a bike before, i suffered from sensory overload for the first few Km's, just such a beautiful valley and so much to soak in, very different perspective than from a cage!

Here are a couple of pics from the road heading to Himeville:
Nott2.jpg

Notting.jpg

be careful where you stop, you could run into a weirdo from another planet!
Leader.jpg

Plenty of bridges:
Bridge.jpg

Lots of rivers:
River1.jpg

River2.jpg

Just a couple of mountains:
View2.jpg

View.jpg

and a few open roads:
Road.jpg

So after a long day slog at a very easy pace, we arrived at Himeville and booked into a very charming B+B for the night.
Himeville.jpg

Mandatory ribs for dinner at Himeville Arms hotel and a brisk walk back to the B+B for a good night's sleep.
OH, did mention what good weather we had. Heard Jo'burg had a huge thunder shower
:D

Day 2 to follow.......