Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why the Hardly Able riders dont greet  (Read 618 times)

Offline Gee S

Why the Hardly Able riders dont greet
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:17:17 am »
I was listening to Los Lip on RSG yesterday afternoon when a biker called in and says he knows why guys on these big American cruisers dont greet.
According to him they are too scared to let go of one handlebar as they are affraid the other one will vibrate out of their hand  :imaposer: :imaposer:
This guy also said that they needed the leather thongs on the handles so that the movement in the air could assure them that they are actually moving :ricky:

All that wander are not lost

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Why the Hardly Able riders dont greet
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:26:29 am »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:37:54 am »
I saw a HD branded VITO bus in George today. On the back window it had huge lettering:

"CAUTION - MOTORCYCLISTS AHEAD"

Haha! Do the HD riders actually go that slow? ;D

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:28 pm »
Not necessarily HD riders but yankees.

A friend guided a tour with US customers and one refused to ride faster than 90km/h ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:49:35 pm »
I was listening to Los Lip on RSG yesterday afternoon when a biker called in and says he knows why guys on these big American cruisers dont greet.
According to him they are too scared to let go of one handlebar as they are affraid the other one will vibrate out of their hand  :imaposer: :imaposer:
This guy also said that they needed the leather thongs on the handles so that the movement in the air could assure them that they are actually moving :ricky:

First for even a Harly to have two handle bars... :P

Offline kathu

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »
It's not only the HD riders that don't greet. But im sure this has been discussed before so i won't go any further on this... :pot:

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »
Well just this weekend gone bye I went for a cruise on the Harley.Out of all the bikers i passed one greeted,some guy on a scooter.
Went passed a whole gaggle of BMW riders,looked like one of those tour group thingies on Marine Drive,with spray on mud the whole toot,not one greeted.
I greet all,if no one returns the greet,tough sh1t.....
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: That is really funny.  But true I have found many bikers who great and many mean okes who look straight ahead. :-\
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Biza

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW 1200 GS A LC
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »
This is also the case with most BMW riders, I ride one myself and always nod a head for any other biker.

Why do HD riders have bugs on the side of their helmets?
        Look sideways left and right and think . . . . wie kyk vir my!!!!

------UNASHAMEDLY  ETHICAL------

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 02:34:05 pm »
This is also the case with most BMW riders, I ride one myself and always nod a head for any other biker.

:laughing4:
 :thumleft:
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:35 pm »

I thought it was from when we fly bye your slow ass we actually have to tilt right around to greet,hence the bugs........
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:23:59 am »
Eish, I'm also one of the guys who don't greet.......
If a rider greets me, I will for sure say Hi back, but normally I'm too busy enjoying my bike, or hanging onto it, I don't have time to ride and wave at everyone. My arms will get tired.

Just like I don't greet all the cage drivers when I'm in my cage. Kark excuse I know  :imaposer:

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 11:14:44 am »
Once an ok passed me and shortly down the road I found him parked. His bike could not start.  I stopped and helped jump start his bike.  You teach them by example. :ricky:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline lightning1

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »
Whilst we are on the topic of generalising and bashing all riders who ride a particular brand, because of the conduct of one or two riders, let me tell you a story I found amusing.

Two weeks ago I went to Clarens for the weekend, which is a favourite destination of both adventure bikers and Harley (yes, that is how you spell it) riders. Could there actually be some similarities between the different riders? I hope not, as it would spoil hours of fun for the hardened bikers. Anyway, I digress.

I drove out to Golden Gate in my car, where there are smallish but tarred roads leading off the main road, that allow you to get to viewpoints and walks.

Just after turning off into one,  I came across three GS riders sitting on their bikes looking at a concrete dip that runs across the road, that had some water in it. They eventually decided not to go through, and turned their bikes around, to leave. I think they felt a bit sheepish when I drove through it in a low-slung Mercedes Benz CLK. It was quite obvious that the water would not even have reached the footpegs!
Loving the journey!

KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Gee S

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 03:07:20 pm »
To tell the truth I think the amount of riders not greeting is about equal between the BM's and Harley's. :pot:
I am also guilty of not always greeting, but then again somebody has got to be bashed. :imaposer:
All that wander are not lost

Offline zagser

• Just another
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
Whilst we are on the topic of generalising and bashing all riders who ride a particular brand, because of the conduct of one or two riders, let me tell you a story I found amusing.

Two weeks ago I went to Clarens for the weekend, which is a favourite destination of both adventure bikers and Harley (yes, that is how you spell it) riders. Could there actually be some similarities between the different riders? I hope not, as it would spoil hours of fun for the hardened bikers. Anyway, I digress.

I drove out to Golden Gate in my car, where there are smallish but tarred roads leading off the main road, that allow you to get to viewpoints and walks.

Just after turning off into one,  I came across three GS riders sitting on their bikes looking at a concrete dip that runs across the road, that had some water in it. They eventually decided not to go through, and turned their bikes around, to leave. I think they felt a bit sheepish when I drove through it in a low-slung Mercedes Benz CLK. It was quite obvious that the water would not even have reached the footpegs!

:imaposer:

L1, sometimes it CAN reach higher than the footpegs...
(And this crossing was actually done with a BMW)

/Hijack off

On this same weekend we met a guy and his wife who has actually done watercrossings with their Harley!