Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Top speed  (Read 3102 times)

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
Re: Top speed
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 11:15:28 am »
120 tar , once saw 100 on the gravel  :mwink:

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Gee S

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 11:29:25 am »
I once saw 310 clock speed on a Hayabusa. The adrenalin rush was awesome, I was shaking like a leaf when I got of.
That is also one of the reasons I ride a slower DS bike. I just cannot help my self when I get onto a superbike
All that wander are not lost

Offline JohanGPS

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 12:15:26 pm »
GS, wow I can think yes...but it would be nice.
Did I hear a few "pisskrieke" ?
Edgy and SH, i believe we will not be able to accuse you for dicovering gunpowder ?
This country suffers from cANCcer. If we don't have it cut out it will be terminal.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 12:25:30 pm »
Edgy and SH, i believe we will not be able to accuse you for dicovering gunpowder ?

Hoe bedoel meneer nou?
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline JohanGPS

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 12:33:57 pm »
hmmm, hoe sal ek dit nou stel......dit was minder slim kommentaar gewees, hehehehe
This country suffers from cANCcer. If we don't have it cut out it will be terminal.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 02:19:58 pm »
My point is that top speed means nothing,as opposed to how quickly a rider can get from A - B(not on the N1!) That takes skill not speed!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:13 pm »
My point is that top speed means nothing,as opposed to how quickly a rider can get from A - B(not on the N1!) That takes skill not speed!

Anyone can go fast in a straight line :)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:33:36 pm »

Exzacaly! ;D
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 02:42:56 pm »

both of you are a bit sanctimonious.
The question is not about the wisdom of the act or the skill it takes. It's about the engineering. JohanGPS is asking how fast can your DS bike go. He is not saying "Look at me, I'm awesome"

I have not ridden my X-challenge with a GPS on it so I can't comment on it's true top speed. I do know that it doesn't feel very lekker at the top. The bike becomes a little 'loose' and you worry that a instability in the road could cause a critical tankslapper.

I did have my GPS on the DR650 and measuered the top speed. I'll rather not post it for fear of embarrassing lecap and all members of the SSS ;D

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »
mine was 157,,,,

the worst was i wuz trying to keep up with some harleys,,,,
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:52 pm »
but if this thread is indeed a pissing contest then I can ad that I reached 280km/h on a mate's R1
the needle of my TL1000S' speedo ran off the numbers and got stopped when it lapped the pin! (it was obviously inacturate, but still spectacular ;D ) But I don't think a TL can actually run faster than about 270km/h (even mine which was de-limited by a power commander chip and aftermarket zorsts)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »

In that case I want to drive a funny car over the 1/4 mile ,that looks easy enough........ :pot:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 02:55:09 pm »
And for the interest of the topic on hand,I have seen 158 on my digital readout,so knock a fair bit off that.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:37 pm »
Talking about fast dualsport bikes....... :mwink:

On our recent Westcoast trip I reached 136 km/h on the GPS on my Suzuki Djebel 250 XC.

So the sum is: 136 divided by 250 =  0,544 km/h per cc.

So looking at topspeed in relation to cc of the bike, I'm most probably the fastest guy
around ...............and that includes the big Beemers and KTM's   :pot:

:imaposer:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:01:50 pm by Operator »

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Race Dog
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 02:58:16 pm »
Normaly if I push the DR a bit (Riding her hard) I get about 160/165km/h-depends on the wind and all. . .

But last week me and the old man went for a quick drive in the week out to malmesbury...that tar roads....

And he let his beast open for a while. . ,and soon I got the same idea,there were not realy wind,Or maybe from behind,cant remember,but I layed down and got the needle to just touch the 170km/h mark. . . So thats my SPEEDO topspeed I got on TAR!! (wouldnt do it agen,dont like to treat my bike like that. . )
Anyway,I have heard that the DR's give fals reading,or is a bit of.-So dont know if that was correct!?

On gravel roads on that trip we did to Infanta a while ago,at a stage we kinda pushed a bit. . .I realy cant remember,But we were almost flatout on tha gravel(cause of the time) and we did from 145-155/160? dont remember,and then suddenly you see sheep in the faak!ng road. . And you slamm the brakes,and realize you should take it easy. . . . Back to 120/130km/h. . . .  :thumleft:

Still want to get me a digital speedo. . .
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »
Still want to get me a digital speedo. . .

Even digital speedo's give overreadings...............you gotto go with a GPS.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »
My DR had both the original analogue speedo and a Vapor digital speedo plus a GPS on the handlebar

The Vapor was very accurate. It agreed with the GPS most of the time and only started telling porky pies at around 130km/h. And even at top speed it was only out by about 5km/h
The analogue clock was a different story. It started getting optimistic around 90km/h. By 120km/h (GPS speed) the analogue clock showed I was doing almost 140km/h. It got worse the faster I went. At top speed it would be out by about 25 knots

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »

On our recent Westcoast trip I reached 136 km/h on the GPS on my Suzuki Djebel 250 XC.

So the sum is: 136 divided by 250 =  0,544 km/h per cc.

So looking at topspeed in relation to cc of the bike, I'm most probably the fastest guy
around ...............and that includes the big Beemers and KTM's   :pot:

Hoeveel van daai CC's gaan jy bysit vir die slipstream ?

:peepwall:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ek moet sÍ daai Djebel het my impress.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »

So the sum is: 136 divided by 250 =  0,544 km/h per cc.

around ...............and that includes the big Beemers and KTM's   :pot:

Hoeveel van daai CC's gaan jy bysit vir die slipstream ?

:peepwall:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ek moet sÍ daai Djebel het my impress.

Hey!
ek het 124km/h gekry oppad outriders fest toe agter 'n 1150 so ek het mos eintlik die vinnigste bike?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
My DR had both the original analogue speedo and a Vapor digital speedo plus a GPS on the handlebar

The Vapor was very accurate. It agreed with the GPS most of the time and only started telling porky pies at around 130km/h. And even at top speed it was only out by about 5km/h
The analogue clock was a different story. It started getting optimistic around 90km/h. By 120km/h (GPS speed) the analogue clock showed I was doing almost 140km/h. It got worse the faster I went. At top speed it would be out by about 25 knots

Makes sense - the mechanical friction spring thing in the regular speedo can't be accurate - too many variables.

The Vapor counts the turns of the wheel, so if you have your diameter set up right it should be pretty close.

The 1200 gets its speedo from the rear ABS sensor, so it is pretty close as well - it just varies a little between a brand new Heidi and an old Anakee...

It was funny on this trip we were at - I was going 120 / 140 that one stretch  - then you hit a patch of corrugation and all of a sudden the speedo will jump up to 160 and back as the rear wheel loses traction and find grip again.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away