WC Dogs try the Tenere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossed-up

Pangaman
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Andy should be writing this as it was his show, but I'm going out and want to record a few things before I forget.

Garth from Linex CT offered Andy660R a ride on the new Tenere, and being the thoroughly good
sort that Andy is, he asked a few Dogs who had nothing better to do (and who still had working bikes :D ) to come along.  This included Camelman and his boet, Michael, Sack and Leftless (who, sadly declined a ride on the Tenere :D).

We took turns riding the Tenere and a new XT660R out along the back roads that Andy knows so well, circling Perdeberg and down the railway to Darling for breakfast and back via the scenic road down to Grotto Bay. 

I'm sorry I've no pics, but Andy and Camelman might post some.

My impressions (as if you haven't heard enough already)

It's a well made and well-sorted bike - no mistake.  It has enough go and enough stop to satisfy most people, myself included.  That well proven-engine is an absolute joy.  It had very street-oriented tyres on, but nonetheless handled gravel roads and semi-technical stuff very well indeed.  It has a reassuring solidity to most of the bike, except the tail area which managed to destroy itself on the back tyre - sorry Garth. :-[ 

I am quite sure that it is a perfect bike for the long road and for that purpose I couldn't fault it, and I'd unreservedly sing its praises.

BUT:  I also like to do a bit of more athletic stuff and it has one of those stepped saddles.  I found it annoying to be confined to one position in the saddle and when moving my body around and standing I found the stepped saddle to be a nuisance.  The other minor quibble is the fixed headlight that points where the frame is pointing and not the front wheel.  Again, when you're doing the odd tight turn in the dark this could easily become disconcerting.

The XT660R, however, I found to be a stunning bike, even after 5 or more years on the market.  It costs R10K less than the Tenere, has a nice saddle, sorted headlight and 15 litres in the tank.  I'm never going to do "Africa" so the XT660R would do it for me in spades.  I want one.

Garth, thank you so much for this opportunity.  I really appreciated being able to try these bikes in a real situation, and while I found the Tenere not quite for me it still think it's a quality bike of the highest standard.

On the way home, Leftless and Sack came with me to try some of the new tracks at the quarry.  Suffice it to say that neither the HP2 nor the 800GS are 100kg scramblers.  ;D :D :mad: ::) :p
Sorry guys, but it was fun, but I'm glad I didn't have the Tenere there.