Why do I ride, and what's my next bike ? ? ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I have promised myself a new bike when my car is paid – hopefully in 2-6 months time, but I have no idea what.

It’s not that my ole faithful KLE does not do the job – she’s done everything I ever asked her to - but sometimes I just want a little more, and something that can do just a little bit more – or so I think.

So it’s time for introspection and to work out why I like riding, and what is not that important. When I have done that I can hopefully start fitting a new bike to the life.

I know I love riding, but I don’t know why, so I made the following list as an attempt to determine why I look forward to the weekend and getting a bit of leg-over – over the bike that is

Is it getting out there ?

The sights. The smells of flowers, freshly cut wheat and cow-turds, Fruit trees, road-kill and the smell of pap cooking from the cultural villages.

The ever changing views. Looking down on and up to landforms and rocks. Trees an grasses, The perspective of the road ahead and the road behind. The sky that keeps changing colours, the rain that wets me, and the sun that dries me out. The road I have never ridden, or the one I have but that is different on a bike. 

The people that look at me strangely as this old guy with the serious boots goes by and nods his head. Sitting on a mountain top and sharing a cup of coffee with and old man or a herd-boy.

The places I can get to. The mountains. The passes. The waterfalls, rivers and dams.

Is it the riding ?

The surfaces. The way the tyres change note on the different tar and gravel surfaces. The sound of stones clattering in the mudguards. The wind on my face and the sting of cold air on winter mornings. The challenge of a tricky piece of road, and the pleasure of occasionally getting through without injury. The feeling of the power of the bike, and the adrenaline rush of sometimes pushing the limit of my capabilities. Learning how to ride better. The ever changing gravity as I go over crests and through dips. The  conversation with the machine, and thanking her after a ride well done.   

Is it the people ?

Watching the rear of the lady on the bike up front. Comparing war wounds and stories over a drink after a ride. Watching the dust trails of ten bikes on the road up ahead. The chats when the other guys need to stop for a smoke or repair a puncture. The cup of coffee at the fire to dispel  iBabelasi in the morning. Meeting new interesting people from different walks of life and backgrounds.

Is it the bike?

Tinkering, blinging and farkelling. Adjusting fixing and repairing. Making that what was broke un-broke. Squeezing out a little more from the machine. Chatting with the mechanics. Discussing different bikes. 

So what came out of my (probably wrong) analysis.

I allocate 10 points as follows:-

Getting out there. 5
The riding . . . . 3
The people  . . . . 2
The bike . . .  0
                --------------
………………10
                ---------------

Am I typical or different ? How different to you ?