Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik"?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
+1 on Mikedabike, the best salesman in JHB IMO, and not a bad guy either.... :biggrin:

True ;D
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
    • Mzee-Jaki
They only knock BMW because they can't afford it jelousy makes you nasty..

Maybe there is a point to this position but this is not helping the discussion.  Sorry mate.

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
    • Mzee-Jaki
I just have to shake my head......

If anybody says a bike is ""lewensgevaarlike"" then it means he/she the rider can’t adapt to the certain bikes handing characteristics. Even my legendary Africa Twin nearly killed me on two occasions when something broke and something went wrong. Did that made the bike “”lewensgevaarlik””? No.

Ettiene, for example,  had two accidents. Both on Hondas. Do that make a Honda a “”lewensgevaarlik”” bike? Nope.

If one keep in mind how many 800’s BMW sell then its no surprise that there are 2nd hand ones for sale as well.
Hmmmm some serious thoughts there.

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Crowley

My 800 has 42 000 km on the clock and I smaak it stukkend

I have had 17 bikes in the last 3 years, incl XT660, TT600, KLR650, 2 Dakars (one I still have), 2 1150 GS's, KTM 640 and 350 EXC. I have ridden many others too - more than a few 1200 GS's and GSA's , 950's and 990's, HP2, DRZ and some I care to forget cos I feel they were so kak

BUT

I keep coming back to my 800 because

1. It's like a sports bike on the road - I have three sets of wheels, one set shod with TKC's for dirt only and another with Anakees for the road and another special set n the making for the track - I have seen 220 on the clock on the road with the Anakees with NO headshake whatso-f*&^*-ever ! Headshake is 100% due to tyres in my experience - even my Dakar has picked up this very uncharacteristic trait since I put a Heidi on the front after running an Anakee since year dot.

The 800 handles great, has a super flat torque curve and stops well too. I am busy building a 17 inch front wheel to "motard" the thing and this should make it even more wicked on the road and eat some superbikes for breakfast at the next Killarney track day

2. Can pull monster wheelies - only the TT600 was better at this

3. Is great at off road touring with the TKC's on  much lighter and more responsive than my 1150's were and far more comfortable than my 640 ever was

4. Is good in technical off road stuff - I have ridden much better off road bikes - most notably a KTM660 Rallye at RAW this year - but they were dedicated off road racing bikes that could not do anything else

5. Crazy exhaust sound after the de-cat and with the Leo Vince pipe

6. Black and Yellow ones are definitely the faster and meaner option

7. Cos its mine and paid for

I fully intend to keep this bike for a while and have personalised it somewhat incl decatting and ceramic coating the exhaust, replacing std can with leo vince, taller kappa screen, scott oiler, pannier frames for soft luggage, home made rear luggage rack, three sets of wheels with different tyres for road, race track and gravel

I still get excited about this bike - all the other have left me bored and wanting after a short while

I have to disagree. Its BMW answer to the KTM orange, you just think that you are going faster because it’s colourful.

Get some rim tape then you will go even faster. :pot:

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
Crowley
if you put rim tape on your bike and start making it look like a Chatworth special we will disown you  :P
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)

But it just feels to me that you see far fewer F800s out there that you would expect from the sales numbers.

Mystery solved :-

Most are in the parking lot at Sandton City.
Some are outside the bungalows at Sun City after being trailered there.
One is out there on the gravel somewhere.

And that why I never see them cos my KLE is doing the REAL riding !  ;D  ;D  :pot:
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Cable Tie

GG, if your KLE is so great why are you looking for a new bike.... :pot:

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • No matter what you ride, it’s all the same wind
Re: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2009, 10:45:41 am »
Moet my nie skiet nie ek is net die boodskapper!   >:D

Die vee-arts hier op Lichtenburg, Dr. Stephen Rabe, het 'n 800GS. Op so 3000mk toe breek die voorwiel se as. Gelukkig het hy stadig gery maar hy het sy g@t af geval. BMW het die bike reggemaak en blykbaar vir hom 'n nuwe helmet gegee.

Hy ry nog met die 800gs maar het nie meer vertroue in hom nie.

Daar was 'n recall op die front axle. Van die 2008 modelle se wiele het afgemoer, maar hulle het ons teruggeroep en die ding vervang met een wat nie afval nie  :biggrin:
  :thumleft:
Ek sou regtig nie bekommer nie, hy kan daai fiets met baie vertroue rondjaag, hy sal niks oorkom nie!!
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound

Cos she's getting old.
I'm getting old.
I need to dispose of some hard-worked-for money  ;D

Offline mountain man

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Reality is for people who lack imagination...
As a second time round newbi who hasn't yet put on the km's to justify a properly experienced and informed opinion, the thing that scares me about the 800 is the rumoured 'LEWENSGEVAARLIK' tag but, it's all good because I'm now overly cautious, expecting the 'LEWENSGEVAARLIKKE' moment to kick in at any time !!

Took a looong hard look at ALL bikes and a few test rides before settling on the 800 and must say that besides my {very} rusty skills level, the bike is fantastic, especially on dirt where it's capabilities far exceed mine and have had a few heart stopping moments where it's stability alone pulled us through.

Not into the 200k speed thing but often top 160 on tar and 120 on 'good' dirt.

Why did I buy the 800 despite the rumour ?

Kids gone and want to explore - mainly off the beaten track on dirt and long distance but found the 1200 way too 'heavy' and other makes too one sided. This bike does most things reasonably well, has roadside assistance and maintains value.

Only problems experienced have been the side stand switch which is now 'shorted'

A good question may be - "Where does the tag 'LEWENSGEVAARLIK' origionate from ?

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
800 nie n werklike  GS nie.Geen boxer,geen driveshaft,geen tubeless tyres.Sal ons hierdie bike  na 10 tot 15 jaar nog sien????Hoekom word hy n GS genoem?Hy het geen gene van n GS nie.Sekere ontwerpte is ikone soos n 911 Porsche.Beide n GS en 911 is jare gelede ontwerp en het die toets van tyd deurstaan.Dis nie toeval dan beide lugverkoelde boxers is nie.Dis hoekom daar baie 800s in die mark is na maande vanaf sy vrystelling.

GS staan vir Galante Strade (onroad / off road) en dit kan die 800 met onderskeiding doen. Die 800 tipe enjin juis die verbetering wat gaan oorvat, lees Motorrad, en dan ook hoogs bekwaam off-road waar die 1200 bietjie swaarkry. Sal wat gee vir beide 'n 800 en 1200  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:27:23 pm by Wasp »

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound

The honest answer is I want a little more new bike.
KLEs are not made any more.
The F800 is one of the most similar bikes out there to the KLEs spec, ignoring power and torque.
Dimesrions and tyres are similar. Both 21in front 17 back . F800 is 40mm higher at the seat.
F800 weighs 6Kg more
Both are parallel twins
Both have 15L tanks, but the F800 goes 50% further

So if I could get a bike similar to the KLE with a little more grunt, with better suspension and handling, I would be a happy little puppy.

The F800 seemed a good choice.

The KLE does have "budget" suspension when compared with the new-gen bikes, and I feel it in the way I get left behind on rough surfaces
If I try to keep up I get I get testicle and tooth slap - not that having to keep up is that vital to me, but I get a bit jealous at the better ride the other guys seem to have.
The KLE, with me riding, does not hold rough or tar corners well.

I am aware that I am not the best rider out there - does not bother me much - but I can always hope that a bike that handles better will compensate a bit for my limitations.
But if that comes at risk of never meeting my grandchildren, then the deal is off.
Wishfull thinking ?   

Offline Cable Tie

GG, I think you should stop posting and buy a bargain F800 from one of the posers selling theirs! It is a awesome bike and "al wat LEWENSGEVAARLIK is" is the amount of time youl spend riding it! Kom nou maak skuld en kry kla!

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
As a second time round newbi who hasn't yet put on the km's to justify a properly experienced and informed opinion, the thing that scares me about the 800 is the rumoured 'LEWENSGEVAARLIK' tag but, it's all good because I'm now overly cautious, expecting the 'LEWENSGEVAARLIKKE' moment to kick in at any time !!

Took a looong hard look at ALL bikes and a few test rides before settling on the 800 and must say that besides my {very} rusty skills level, the bike is fantastic, especially on dirt where it's capabilities far exceed mine and have had a few heart stopping moments where it's stability alone pulled us through.

Not into the 200k speed thing but often top 160 on tar and 120 on 'good' dirt.

Why did I buy the 800 despite the rumour ?

Kids gone and want to explore - mainly off the beaten track on dirt and long distance but found the 1200 way too 'heavy' and other makes too one sided. This bike does most things reasonably well, has roadside assistance and maintains value.

Only problems experienced have been the side stand switch which is now 'shorted'

A good question may be - "Where does the tag 'LEWENSGEVAARLIK' origionate from ?

To be honest, I think one guy said something to that effect in a thread about the 800GS on gravel. Then it got beaten with a stick at the hands of some members, as a running joke, which it still is. This "lewensgevaarlik" tag was never meant to be anything more than back and forth joking by some of the more seasoned members on the forum. IMO

In one thread where they introduced the long range tank for the 800,  and amongst the remarks were, "It's way too lewensgevaarlik, how could they do that" and "Long range lewensgevaarlik"  :imaposer:

But IMO it all started very innocently in this thread http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=34660.0 I think if you read that you might agree.  :thumleft:

And then some more tongue in the cheek discussion on the "lewensgevaarlik" issue ensued in this thread. http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=34836.0

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:07:54 pm by RooiPhilip »
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
GG, I think you should stop posting and buy a bargain F800 from one of the posers selling theirs! It is a awesome bike and "al wat LEWENSGEVAARLIK is" is the amount of time youl spend riding it! Kom nou maak skuld en kry kla!

Poser then am I?  :biggrin:

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
12000 trouble-free Kms later I can just marvel at all the learned opinions from non-800 owners.

Just like any machine some elements could be better, but then it would be the perfect DS bike, and we all know that's just not possible; but it comes damn close. And like any bike I've ever ridden, it takes a while to get used to before riding it at full potential. So spend enough time with an 800 and you find that it just keeps getting better.

Every time I wash the dirt off after a ride I think to myself "I love this bike!". And that's good enough for me.

Offline mountain man

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Reality is for people who lack imagination...
The thread history puts things into perspective - thanx RooiPhilip, confidence levels are now up !

Plenty forums on this bike worldwide and lotsa discussion which is handy but, riding the 800 is reality, and for me - suits the purpose, feels right, definitely not boring...

'LEWENSGEVAARLIK' as in lifestyle threatening maybe ??

Offline Cable Tie

Poser then am I?  :biggrin:

Nog nie Philip, jy het mos nog jou bike! BTW ek dink ek gan volgende week my bitubo cartridges bestel!

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

:laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
this may be a wild rumour and I cannot prove,but the grapevine tells me that one of Donford's demo GS800's
were "written off" last Thursday after a possible tankslapper? And one of my friend's GS800's are standing
at Donford's with wheelbearing trouble[or perhaps axle?] Almost new bike!?
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.