Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik"?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
I would love to know the answer to this question as it really bothers me.

I am in the market for new bike, and the F800 topped the leaderboard for a long time, but now, after asking a lot of questions, I am not so sure.

There is definately the "rollerskate, vespa and Harley" syndrome reported above, but I think there is a little more, as quite a few riders whose opinions I respect have cooled to the bike.

One could say this was inevitable given the number sold and the hype pre-sale.

But if you are going to fork out 100KZAR for a bike and there is a nagging fear in the back of your mind that you are going to hit a patch of road, at the speed, with the tyre pressuire that your buddy did,. that caused your buddy to get a skrik and dispose of the bike, should you not look to a bike where no-one got a skrik?

But is there such a bike? Maybe not.

I have been to many dealerships, and had many long discussions with the salesmen, and they are all totally dismissive of any concerns I have, and that itself makes me even more concerned.  

The stock response was always:-

"The WDs have blown the issues out of proportion"
"If you are scared of a tank-slap then fit a steering damper"
"All bikes can get a tank-slap if the bike is not set up correctly"
"BMW are far too experienced to put out a bike with design flaws"

I always walked out of the dealership less convinced than when I walked in.

I really wish I knew Ettienne, I really wish I knew  :(  

funny i have been on many bikes and i have had many scary moments - never ever have i blamed the bike - lack of skills always the first thing i would blame when it comes to myself

i would never blame the bike - sure if they sell a bike and the bikes snaps in half and not just one but good % of the bikes then blame the bike

having read numerous reviews on the 800 i have not once came across a review that said "LEWENSGEVAARLIK"

cant even remember 1 review where a very dangerous head shake was mentioned ???

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
ole Blazes coined a term , it aint ever going to die (the term that is)  :biggrin:

i cant fault the GS800 , fantastic moto .... 1 thing put me off it though

1. i am still awaiting feedback from BMW on my offer to purchase one. Obviously my local dealer is selling too many moto's and could not be bothered to get back to me.  ::)  thats even before the sale is made and they ignoring me. I was also assured i was on the list for initial delivery of a gs800 when launched, guess what still waiting for that call to. As a potential customer i expect better service.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
ole Blazes coined a term , it aint ever going to die (the term that is)  :biggrin:

i cant fault the GS800 , fantastic moto .... 1 thing put me off it though

1. i am still awaiting feedback from BMW on my offer to purchase one. Obviously my local dealer is selling too many moto's and could not be bothered to get back to me.  ::)  thats even before the sale is made and they ignoring me. I was also assured i was on the list for initial delivery of a gs800 when launched, guess what still waiting for that call to. As a potential customer i expect better service.

i hear you  :thumleft:

had the exact k@k when i was looking for a dakar

got k@k service from hamman motorad so i went to auto atlantic - i wont go and buy a klr just cause the 1 dealer tuned me k@k

thats like cutting of your nose to spite your face  >:D

Offline nemodakar

I seem to agree with Bobnob . Its never the rider fault, hey. What I dont under stand is why he is in the market for a new bike . Your on the best.

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
IMHO this is a non-issue.

It is a good bike. It occupies a certain niche. It sold well (still does). Statistically it is normal for some to let go after some time.

Maybe some sellers are in financial shit. We are in a recession, after all.
According to latest stats SA shed 475 000 jobs the last year. Did you see how many luxury cars are for sale? And very nice houses.

Ever thought about that?

You know when the fever of your new shirt wears down, it become an ordinary shirt. You might even never wear it again.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
I've had mine for just over 3000km's and I love riding it, infact I cant wait to get back to JHB from PE(work) to go and ride it. I will be replacing the front cartridges though! This bikes suspension is not in line with the rest of the package and something I hope BMW will start taking to heart! It's like dating a girl and when you start thinking of marriage you relize there is something missing and can't live with it...I believe that something is the suspension. Well I'm sending my baby of to gym and when she comes back...yes please!

Yes the headshake is a irritating problem and needs to be dealt with, but like I said this is still a awesome bike! This bike isn't even 2 years old and has already done many trips across africa...how many sezuki's have passed the equator? :pot: yeah yeah I know.

The F800 is a superb motorbike and will get better and better as time goes by! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I will wait for the new one  ;D
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Steady

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Allot of people seem to be selling there beloved 800's, not even after owning them for a year.

I would have thought that the obvious awnser is "Because a lot of people are buying F800GS's" :deal:
Grammar... The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

Offline Gee S

I personally think the phrase "Lewensgevaarlik" did more damage to this bikes reputation than all the bad service or attitude from all the dealers put together.
Admittedly there are/were some problems that should have been fixed sooner or even before launch but then have there ever been an new model released that did not have some niggles or problems? I would bet that they were just much less publicized.
I think many people bought the 800 because of all the hype only to discover that it was too much bike for them + all the other factors already mentioned.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Da Tazzman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • An BMW Adventure is only scared of Schalk Burger!
I would love to know the answer to this question as it really bothers me.

I am in the market for new bike, and the F800 topped the leaderboard for a long time, but now, after asking a lot of questions, I am not so sure.

There is definately the "rollerskate, vespa and Harley" syndrome reported above, but I think there is a little more, as quite a few riders whose opinions I respect have cooled to the bike.

One could say this was inevitable given the number sold and the hype pre-sale.

But if you are going to fork out 100KZAR for a bike and there is a nagging fear in the back of your mind that you are going to hit a patch of road, at the speed, with the tyre pressuire that your buddy did,. that caused your buddy to get a skrik and dispose of the bike, should you not look to a bike where no-one got a skrik?

But is there such a bike? Maybe not.

I have been to many dealerships, and had many long discussions with the salesmen, and they are all totally dismissive of any concerns I have, and that itself makes me even more concerned.  

The stock response was always:-

"The WDs have blown the issues out of proportion"
"If you are scared of a tank-slap then fit a steering damper"
"All bikes can get a tank-slap if the bike is not set up correctly"
"BMW are far too experienced to put out a bike with design flaws"

I always walked out of the dealership less convinced than when I walked in.

I really wish I knew Ettienne, I really wish I knew  :(  

Can I put in a few facts to dispel some of the crap re this bike..................

It is still the best selling motorcycle in the country over 500cc (that includes all brands and all derivatives, i.e. road bikes, dual purpose etc. and is based on the AMID figures.)

It is the only bike to topple the R1200GS's stranglehold on this position for the last two and a half years.

I have ridden the F800GS under all conditions, all terrains, on the track, on the '22', with all varied types of setup and strangely enough have NEVER gotten a head shake let alone a tank slap out of it - so when I heard this discussion at the GS Eco 1000, I was amazed at it.
And if anyone who doesn't know me is wondering about my expertise or the way I ride I am sure some of the forum members on the Eco Challenge can testify to it. I kinda ride......well flat out everywhere!

We also had one of our sales guys on our F800GS ride it 2000 Kms on the Eco Challenge and he also had not so much as a head shake on it and the only set up that I did was the tyre pressures to 1.8 bar each side.

The last point I want to make is that since it's launch, I have only ever gotten 3 F800GS's offered to me for sale since they were launched and they didnt even last a week on the floor and sold pretty close to the new price anyway.

So in short - no not everybody is selling their 800GS's and those that want to I will take them and yes they are perfectly safe to ride!
If you don't have an Adventure - ya don't have a life!

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • No matter what you ride, itís all the same wind
I think the "lewensgevaarlik" tag is probably the thing that makes me want to keep it the most!!  :biggrin: Makes the lekker task of riding your 800 seem so very very extreme!!  :mwink:

But I do think, that the term is used mostly by people that have not yet had the privilege of riding/owning one of these. much like beemer oakes bash at KTM guys, without them ever have owned a KTM.  :pot:

I love this bike, I don't think I have said it enough. And if I were in the market for a serious dual-purpose 50/50 bike, I would look nowhere else. But it is what it is. A dual-purpose bike - probably the reasoning behind it having won the award for best dual-purpose bike  :thumleft: If you want to ride with the 1200s on tar and the Dakars in the dirt, then you buy a "lewensgevaarlik". Straight forward.

But if you could care less about riding on tar, and you want to kick dust in the face of the Dakkies - you buy someting that fits the part. No bike is a 450 in the dirt and a soopabaaik in the corners and a 1200 on tour. They don't yet makes those, so don't expect to buy one.  >:D

I very much agree with Da Tazzman on this topic!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:59:25 am by RooiPhilip »
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline Cable Tie

Tazzman, if you are looking for your first headshake experiance, come take my 800 over the 160km mark and buy me a beer afterwards. I understand the TKC is to blame for that though...

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • No matter what you ride, itís all the same wind
Tazzman, if you are looking for your first headshake experiance, come take my 800 over the 160km mark and buy me a beer afterwards. I understand the TKC is to blame for that though...

:laughing4:  :imaposer:

Yes that would be the TKC
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:02:56 am by RooiPhilip »
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
I'm willing to bet that come next year September.............you guys would still be sitting here talking about the hype surrounding the GS800 :peepwall:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:20:41 am by Operator »

Offline Da Tazzman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • An BMW Adventure is only scared of Schalk Burger!
I'm willing to bet that come next year September.............you guys would still be sitting here talking about the hype surrounding the GS800 :peepwall:

Yup you're right - but given the fact that it is the best seller in the country - that does stand to reason!
If you don't have an Adventure - ya don't have a life!

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)

Can I put in a few facts to dispel some of the crap re this bike..................

Thank you for the warm and friendly feeling I now have.
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog

Yup you're right - but given the fact that it is the best seller in the country - that does stand to reason!

BMW have very good marketing plans........
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
A bar of soap can also be "lewensgevaarlik"....

Just drop it in the showers at gym in Cape Town (or jail...) and see. You can even die in your own shower if you slip and hit your head.....

I don't buy this "lewensgevaarlike" bollocks for one second.

Offline plonker

GG you really know you want it.So instead of listening to all and sundry go organise a serious demo for a day or two.If no demos are available for that length of time maybe you can hire one.
Then test it till your hearts content.But be serious are you going to take it through thick sand every weekend.
Then I ask a simple question.....why does every good rider in possesion of a KTM 990/950 have a Scott damper ??????????
And lastly IF  IT IS such a P.O.C then why are they selling so well.At the American launch one journo commented that in sand he had a bit of a head shake but said it was nothing serious at all.The first time I hit deep sand on my Dakkie I nearly shat myself because of the steering shaking,the answer was simple I stood up,looked up,opened up and moved back on the bike to take weight off the front and carried on. :ricky:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:32:07 am by plonker »

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?

Hype =

exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
. a swindle, deception, or trick.

As per www.dictionary.com

As a dealer , Tazz , u may want to edit yr post a bit
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
mmmm.......

Interesting comments !!!

If I had the spare cash - I'd buy one RIGHT NOW !!!!  - and for one reason only:

The Black and Yellow one is very very sexy.

Is that not maybe the problem ?? Some people buy cars and bikes because they look nice or sexy and not how they perform or ride. Maybe these are the people selling them now ???
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work