Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik"?  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
I wish people would stop buying this bike...  I hate it to see so many others on the same bike!  What colour do I have to make it next to keep it unique? ???   :P

http://bmwclubs.heavenforum.com/north-f52/kyk-noord-t1074.htm

:thumleft: :thumleft:
:thumleft:

Offline WildChild

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Look ma, no hands!!
Today, let your heart dance.
You will find no shortage of dance partners, as your feet join in.
And your eyes.
And your smile.
And every part of your body and your feelings.  Let your heart dance all day long.

Offline PeterHSA

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Not sure exactly what is behind the "lewensgevaarlik" tag that the F800GS has in South Africa - would appreciate if someone could post the link to the original source.

From what I have experienced the bike is rock steady with the factory fitted Battlewings (at least here in Aus) up to 200km/h (must let you know that if I get caught doing that speed here "Oorgepoliesieered land" they would lock me up and throw away the key - so did it in the name of research!!)

But with Karoo's on the front I do notice a slight weaving above 180kph so I think it is due to the knobbies.

Having said that, we have had a very sad case someone dying after a fall on the F800GS in soft sand, and there is a general view that steering dampers are necessary when riding on soft sand, but perhaps that is true for all bikes.  However in this case the passenger footpeg struck the rider on the chest when the bike fell on him rupturing his aorta.  Could happen to anyone with any bike.

See report of the accident at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497872

Offline lecap

What's next?

Someone in Kyrgyzistan electrocutes himself with his toaster.

Someone else posts it on the internet.

Then we all know that toasters are lewensgevaarlik (I even know how to spell this word correctly, see where we are getting?) and prepare our breakfast with insulation gloves ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Kaiser Soze

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
    • http://www.enduroworld.co.za
Check out next months Enduro World Magazine and see what an F800 should look like  ;D
more mexicans use panado than any other toothbrush

Offline lecap

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
I contacted ACME scrap yards in Gauteng to find a rim to replace my dinged one. And The 800 is sooo lewensgevaarlik that they DO NOT EVEN HAVE ONE that has been written off yet. :ricky:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline plonker

Sadly peeps die on all types of bikes, even Vespas and nobody calls them LG.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
I contacted ACME scrap yards in Gauteng to find a rim to replace my dinged one. And The 800 is sooo lewensgevaarlik that they DO NOT EVEN HAVE ONE that has been written off yet. :ricky:

I've seen 3 standing there already.......
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog

Then can you ask them for some parts for me!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog

Then can you ask them for some parts for me!

The front ends were 'tired'. :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
I WANT A REAR RIM. ;D

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • No matter what you ride, itís all the same wind
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Adventurer, a front and rear for me too please.  :biggrin: ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:25:21 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Dik Geluk

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
    • www.zuluoverland.com.
I have done 64 000km on a Africa Twin, 25 000 on a 950KTM and currently am at 8000km on
my 800. I have done two trips in Namibia with it and there is NO problem. In fact i am enjoying the bike more and more. The hipe in this thread reminds me of the opposition in parlement, even
if they don't have anything to say, they have to.
Work it out !!!!!!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
No, it's true!  Diss the 800!  sell your 800 quick and cheap!

how else are we KLR owners ever going to afford an upgrade?

;)

Offline Gee S

Not sure exactly what is behind the "lewensgevaarlik" tag that the F800GS has in South Africa - would appreciate if someone could post the link to the original source.

From what I have experienced the bike is rock steady with the factory fitted Battlewings (at least here in Aus) up to 200km/h (must let you know that if I get caught doing that speed here "Oorgepoliesieered land" they would lock me up and throw away the key - so did it in the name of research!!)

But with Karoo's on the front I do notice a slight weaving above 180kph so I think it is due to the knobbies.

Having said that, we have had a very sad case someone dying after a fall on the F800GS in soft sand, and there is a general view that steering dampers are necessary when riding on soft sand, but perhaps that is true for all bikes.  However in this case the passenger footpeg struck the rider on the chest when the bike fell on him rupturing his aorta.  Could happen to anyone with any bike.

See report of the accident at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497872

There is no substance to this. I dont remember who started it but he must have been bored out of his mind and started this shit story.
I think he was aiming for the stirrer spoon and he should get it
All that wander are not lost

Offline rubiblue

I have done 64 000km on a Africa Twin, 25 000 on a 950KTM and currently am at 8000km on
my 800. I have done two trips in Namibia with it and there is NO problem. In fact i am enjoying the bike more and more. The hipe in this thread reminds me of the opposition in parlement, even
if they don't have anything to say, they have to.

Yip I Agree, never had an issue with mine, love my steed, have loved every bike i have ever owned. I say leave them (the naysayers) to it, they will bore eventually.
PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80, DT50, KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS, KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline plonker

Lewensgevaar.There's a total recall on all the bikes' :imaposer:...........................riders,they have to go for more training in the sandpit  :imaposer: