Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik"?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
Take it leave it colour surely in the overall picture plays a part. :peepwall:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Steady

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Take it leave it colour surely in the overall picture plays a part. :peepwall:

Probably why a good number of KTM's are sold. Riders automaticaly assume that buying orange will give them off-road credibility.
Grammar... The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

Offline Odie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Great bike!!! End of story!!!! :mwink: :thumleft:
1990 - HONDA MTX 50
1993 - HONDA VF750F
2005 - YAMAHA THUNDERACE
2008 - HONDA XL700V (NEW)
2009 - BMW F 800 GS (NEW) 2011 - BMW R1200 GSA (NEW) 2012 - BMW F 800 GS TROPHY (NEW)

Offline pap snoek

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Tazzman, if you are looking for your first headshake experiance, come take my 800 over the 160km mark and buy me a beer afterwards. I understand the TKC is to blame for that though...

I regularly take the tkc on my bike to over 200km/h,no headshake,no damper,no problem.I tell you it's NOT the tire :mwink:

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
    • Mzee-Jaki
I have heard quite a bit about the TKC but is really the tyre that has this problem?

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline pap snoek

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
NO

Offline Mikedabike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
I'm willing to bet that come next year September.............you guys would still be sitting here talking about the hype surrounding the GS800 :peepwall:
Yup you're right - but given the fact that it is the best seller in the country - that does stand to reason!
BMW have very good marketing plans........

Interesting comment K....what plan stands out for you?
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
And a year or so back they slated the Toyota Fortuna as a death trap,but I doubt sales dropped on those either.......
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • No matter what you ride, its all the same wind
I am thinking that Etienne is looking for the spoon!!  :biggrin:
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)

Was thinking the exact same thing :biggrin:

Certainly chose the right topic and seemed to hit a nerve.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
And a year or so back they slated the Toyota Fortuna as a death trap,but I doubt sales dropped on those either.......

But that is because the fortuner is a bakkie and should be drive as such on the dirt. Similar situation to DS riding.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:36:38 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog

Was thinking the exact same thing :biggrin:

Certainly chose the right topic and seemed to hit a nerve.

Could not have chosen a better one!   :biggrin:
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
I have heard quite a bit about the TKC but is really the tyre that has this problem?

NO

With all due respect pap snoek - if you haven't ridden an 800 with a TKC at the front, you really can't diss the oakes (and there quite are a few) who say it does cause a weave on the 800. And the fact that it doesn't happen with a Karoo T (also a knbbly) at the front seems to support that fact.

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
    • Mzee-Jaki
So what is the verdict about the TKC?

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
So what is the verdict about the TKC?

Speak to Wolweseun - he knows fair bit about the topic

But from what I have read, and with experience, I can almost without doubt say that the TKC causes a weave at the front on the 800. Especially when brand new. Evens out after a couple of thousnad km. I can now safely take mine up to 180 without the weave.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
I'm willing to bet that come next year September.............you guys would still be sitting here talking about the hype surrounding the GS800 :peepwall:
Yup you're right - but given the fact that it is the best seller in the country - that does stand to reason!

Not a plan as such, what I meant was one of the reasons BMW sells so well in SA is because they have an awesome marketing/advertising plan/drive, whatever you want to call it.
Take the GS for example, advertised as 'unstoppable', with this whole macho adventure theme attached, would attact a lot of buyers just for the image, everyone that sees him on the bike thinks he's this tough adventure rider, see what I mean?
It doesn't sell so well because it is the best DS bike around, (which it isn't) it sells because of the reknowned BMW infrastructure, resale value, roadside assistance, and naturally the whole 'aura' which has been created around the bike and the brand.
Nothing wrong with this, big  :thumleft: to BMW for being so successful at selling the lifestyle and the products, but for some people to think they have the best bike in the world is a bit bit short-sighted, there is no 'best DS bike', it's what's best for you.
My issues have never really been with the bikes, it has been with certain people behind the bikes.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
RooiPhilip is right, is it the TKC? YES, buts its not bad IMO. If you want to ride at 200 all the time fine, but its not recommended anyway for other reasons.

And if you can ride your KTM without a head shake fine, but thats got nothing to do with this topic either. It pisses me off that we have all these brandbefokd "experts" who dont have 800s telling us how kak they are. Its like me saying KLR or KTM are kak...Hang on... >:D ;D

The 800 is not a bike for posers, its not that easy to ride if youre not used to a big bike or dont have the skills, and that is why is described as "lewensgevaarlik". Mine hurt me a few times till I learnt to respect it. Its big bike. Too big almost. its 200kg and is not a toy. So I fully understand why some people have preferred to go for something else after having realised this mistake. IMO for the kind of riding I do, I find it better than the 1200 and less expensive to drop! To me the 1200 is more for the long cruising trips with pillion mixed in with some dirt.

It is a great bike to ride dirt on, it is very reliable, the suspension is not all that bad but could be better I suppose. The throttle response is BRILLIANT and I really enjoy this bike on the technical stuff.

GG, I would say give it a test if you are unsure, but really, looking at your RRs and your type of riding, that bike is <edit>perfect. something you should seriously consider getting seeing that you liked the bike in the first place. <edit off>

If you want a good dealer, speak to Mikedabike, his service was excellent, I never knew the guy before he sold me an 800 and weve become friends since then.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:39:13 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog

Not a plan as such, what I meant was one of the reasons BMW sells so well in SA is because they have an awesome marketing/advertising plan/drive, whatever you want to call it.
Take the GS for example, advertised as 'unstoppable', with this whole macho adventure theme attached, would attact a lot of buyers just for the image, everyone that sees him on the bike thinks he's this tough adventure rider, see what I mean?
It doesn't sell so well because it is the best DS bike around, (which it isn't) it sells because of the reknowned BMW infrastructure, resale value, roadside assistance, and naturally the whole 'aura' which has been created around the bike and the brand.
Nothing wrong with this, big  :thumleft: to BMW for being so successful at selling the lifestyle and the products, but for some people to think they have the best bike in the world is a bit bit short-sighted, there is no 'best DS bike', it's what's best for you.
My issues have never really been with the bikes, it has been with certain people behind the bikes.

Could not agree more!!  :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
....but for some people to think they have the best bike in the world is a bit bit short-sighted, there is no 'best DS bike', it's what's best for you.

+100
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
+1 on Mikedabike, the best salesman in JHB IMO, and not a bad guy either.... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!