Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik"?  (Read 4674 times)

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
They only knock BMW because they can't afford it jelousy makes you nasty..

Offline DeonDj

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bethlehem
Re: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2009, 08:15:12 pm »
Nee nog ni reen,hopelik more,kort elektroliete en dekstrose,of n gepotesieerde trimetropien vir al die tankslapper diarree gemors,het jy iets in jou tas?
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur

:lamer:

Offline Scalpel

Re: Why is everyone selling the 800GS's? Are these bikes really "lewensgevaarlik
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »
Nee nog ni reen,hopelik more,kort elektroliete en dekstrose,of n gepotesieerde trimetropien vir al die tankslapper diarree gemors,het jy iets in jou tas?

Al wat ek in my tas het is 'n stywe dosis BMW F800GS!! Steek hom Steyntjie!! :ricky:
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir

:lamer:

Lyk my Etienne werk vir die Stirrer spoon!!!  :patch:

Offline ZAR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
Moet my nie skiet nie ek is net die boodskapper!   >:D

Die vee-arts hier op Lichtenburg, Dr. Stephen Rabe, het 'n 800GS. Op so 3000mk toe breek die voorwiel se as. Gelukkig het hy stadig gery maar hy het sy g@t af geval. BMW het die bike reggemaak en blykbaar vir hom 'n nuwe helmet gegee.

Hy ry nog met die 800gs maar het nie meer vertroue in hom nie.

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty!

A dubious plan decisively executed is more likely to succeed than a very good plan tentatively executed.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.               - Thomas Aquinas (1225 – 1274) -  2013 -  Suzuki DL650 2007; 2012-2013 Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed; 2009-2012 Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold; 2009-2012 PGO G-MAX 125cc 2009 Sold; 1990-1990 Suzuki GSX750 1982 Sold; 1988-1991 Suzuki RG50F

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Dinosaur
Moet my nie skiet nie ek is net die boodskapper!   >:D

Die vee-arts hier op Lichtenburg, Dr. Stephen Rabe, het 'n 800GS. Op so 3000mk toe breek die voorwiel se as. Gelukkig het hy stadig gery maar hy het sy g@t af geval. BMW het die bike reggemaak en blykbaar vir hom 'n nuwe helmet gegee.

Ek wil net die quote voor iemand dit delete

Offline jpvdwal

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
800 nie n werklike  GS nie.Geen boxer,geen driveshaft,geen tubeless tyres.Sal ons hierdie bike  na 10 tot 15 jaar nog sien????Hoekom word hy n GS genoem?Hy het geen gene van n GS nie.Sekere ontwerpte is ikone soos n 911 Porsche.Beide n GS en 911 is jare gelede ontwerp en het die toets van tyd deurstaan.Dis nie toeval dan beide lugverkoelde boxers is nie.Dis hoekom daar baie 800s in die mark is na maande vanaf sy vrystelling.

Offline lecap

"All bikes can get a tank-slap"
"If you are scared of a tank-slap buy a Citigolf"

Fixed! :biggrin:

I never realized you were a BMW rep  :biggrin:  :biggrin:
Volkswagen rep :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:08:53 pm by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Race Dog
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
Moet my nie skiet nie ek is net die boodskapper!   >:D

Nou weet ek hoekom dit die Lewensgevaarlik genoem word! ! !

Ek wil net die quote voor iemand dit delete
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
I asked the same question about KTM 990's a little while back (without the lewensgevarlik bit)
Seems alot of the newly bought bikes are getting sold for cheaper options... next, it'll be raining KLR's dude (god help the economy!!!)   :biggrin:
Etienne - If you get the 'wooden spoon', bring it with this w/e to fry up the eggs  ;)
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Dinosaur
I asked the same question about KTM 990's a little while back (without the lewensgevarlik bit)
Seems alot of the newly bought bikes are getting sold for cheaper options... next, it'll be raining KLR's dude (god help the economy!!!)   :biggrin:
Etienne - If you get the 'wooden spoon', bring it with this w/e to fry up the eggs  ;)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
Porsche 911 is, like BMW Boxer, at the end of the line.Further development very difficult under
enviro.laws,so watercooling must come. I love simplicity,sad to see everything go F.I.,etc.
The latest GS's not long-term bikes i.m.o. because of electronics.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
My 800 has 42 000 km on the clock and I smaak it stukkend

I have had 17 bikes in the last 3 years, incl XT660, TT600, KLR650, 2 Dakars (one I still have), 2 1150 GS's, KTM 640 and 350 EXC. I have ridden many others too - more than a few 1200 GS's and GSA's , 950's and 990's, HP2, DRZ and some I care to forget cos I feel they were so kak

BUT

I keep coming back to my 800 because

1. It's like a sports bike on the road - I have three sets of wheels, one set shod with TKC's for dirt only and another with Anakees for the road and another special set n the making for the track - I have seen 220 on the clock on the road with the Anakees with NO headshake whatso-f*&^*-ever ! Headshake is 100% due to tyres in my experience - even my Dakar has picked up this very uncharacteristic trait since I put a Heidi on the front after running an Anakee since year dot.

The 800 handles great, has a super flat torque curve and stops well too. I am busy building a 17 inch front wheel to "motard" the thing and this should make it even more wicked on the road and eat some superbikes for breakfast at the next Killarney track day

2. Can pull monster wheelies - only the TT600 was better at this

3. Is great at off road touring with the TKC's on  much lighter and more responsive than my 1150's were and far more comfortable than my 640 ever was

4. Is good in technical off road stuff - I have ridden much better off road bikes - most notably a KTM660 Rallye at RAW this year - but they were dedicated off road racing bikes that could not do anything else

5. Crazy exhaust sound after the de-cat and with the Leo Vince pipe

6. Black and Yellow ones are definitely the faster and meaner option

7. Cos its mine and paid for

I fully intend to keep this bike for a while and have personalised it somewhat incl decatting and ceramic coating the exhaust, replacing std can with leo vince, taller kappa screen, scott oiler, pannier frames for soft luggage, home made rear luggage rack, three sets of wheels with different tyres for road, race track and gravel

I still get excited about this bike - all the other have left me bored and wanting after a short while
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:17:05 am by Powerflow Justin »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
My 800 has 42 000 km on the clock and I smaak it stukkend

<snip>

I still get excited about this bike - all the other have left me bored and wanting after a short while

Now THIS is good feedback - experience, and all makes sense.

A different class of rider to me, and someone who prolly rides for different reason, but thank you.

So maybe the trick is to have 16 bikes, and then you have no problems with an F800 as no 17  ::) Darn! I still short 13 bikes.
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
And another little niggle..  . . 

I think I am out there quite a bit (Took bit of a break with wek and bike issues)

But it just feels to me that you see far fewer F800s out there that you would expect from the sales numbers.

Maybe in absolute numbers there is catchup to do, but you sure see plenty of Dakkies KLRs

So in the words of Enrico Fermi "Where is everybody?"

[ You don't know who Enrico Fermi was? !! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi

Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Gee S

And another little niggle..  . . 

I think I am out there quite a bit (Took bit of a break with wek and bike issues)

But it just feels to me that you see far fewer F800s out there that you would expect from the sales numbers.

Maybe in absolute numbers there is catchup to do, but you sure see plenty of Dakkies KLRs

So in the words of Enrico Fermi "Where is everybody?"

[ You don't know who Enrico Fermi was? !! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi

I certainly see a few 800's on the road every day.
I think many buyers are weekend warriors like the majority of super bike owners.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Gee S

800 nie n werklike  GS nie.Geen boxer,geen driveshaft,geen tubeless tyres.Sal ons hierdie bike  na 10 tot 15 jaar nog sien????Hoekom word hy n GS genoem?Hy het geen gene van n GS nie.Sekere ontwerpte is ikone soos n 911 Porsche.Beide n GS en 911 is jare gelede ontwerp en het die toets van tyd deurstaan.Dis nie toeval dan beide lugverkoelde boxers is nie.Dis hoekom daar baie 800s in die mark is na maande vanaf sy vrystelling.

Hoeveel is "baie"? Gee n bietjie getalle dat ons kan sien.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
I just have to shake my head......

If anybody says a bike is ""lewensgevaarlike"" then it means he/she the rider can’t adapt to the certain bikes handing characteristics. Even my legendary Africa Twin nearly killed me on two occasions when something broke and something went wrong. Did that made the bike “”lewensgevaarlik””? No.

Ettiene, for example,  had two accidents. Both on Hondas. Do that make a Honda a “”lewensgevaarlik”” bike? Nope.

If one keep in mind how many 800’s BMW sell then its no surprise that there are 2nd hand ones for sale as well.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
I'm willing to bet that come next year September.............you guys would still be sitting here talking about the hype surrounding the GS800 :peepwall:
Yup you're right - but given the fact that it is the best seller in the country - that does stand to reason!
BMW have very good marketing plans........

Interesting comment K....what plan stands out for you?

Not a plan as such, what I meant was one of the reasons BMW sells so well in SA is because they have an awesome marketing/advertising plan/drive, whatever you want to call it.
Take the GS for example, advertised as 'unstoppable', with this whole macho adventure theme attached, would attact a lot of buyers just for the image, everyone that sees him on the bike thinks he's this tough adventure rider, see what I mean?
It doesn't sell so well because it is the best DS bike around, (which it isn't) it sells because of the reknowned BMW infrastructure, resale value, roadside assistance, and naturally the whole 'aura' which has been created around the bike and the brand.
Nothing wrong with this, big  :thumleft: to BMW for being so successful at selling the lifestyle and the products, but for some people to think they have the best bike in the world is a bit bit short-sighted, there is no 'best DS bike', it's what's best for you.
My issues have never really been with the bikes, it has been with certain people behind the bikes.

What adventure is talking about is called the psychology of marketing.  It has happened with bear, cigarettes, name always dipicting that those who drink or smoke a certain brand are successful, are real men and women, etc, etc.  Adventure makes a point of saying that people are lured by aggressive advertising. 

In my experience every time I bought something because I saw it advertised, it invariably failed for me.  I buy stuff because I have done my research and that the stuff meets my expectation.  A good example is the current bike a ride.  At the time I bought it I could have bought a KTM or a BMW but I did not go by the sway of my heart; it was more of reason, facts and only then my heart. ;D

BMW know the weakness of the human heart and take advantage of it.  Of course there is nothing wrong with what they do.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere