Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEFORE YOU BUY A 1200GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS.  (Read 23036 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
BEFORE YOU BUY A 1200GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS.
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »
before you buy any 1200 make sure you go through the bike properly.

Please add to this thread if you know of something that is of importance to a prospective buyer.

Most common things:

*Feel rear wheel for play, take 3 and 9 o'clock and 6 and 12 o'Clock to feel for play, it's easy just get the bike onto the centre stand. Also spin wheel by hand and listen for rough noise while wheel is turning. possible huge cost implication.
*In the same time pull rear wheel from side to side to check for swing arm play. not too expensive to repair.

* Remove rear wheel and check flange for cracks, problem most 04 and 05 models. expensive repair.

Check where the gearbox and engine casing join for a thin line of oil on the outside, it is a sign the gearbox input shaft seal might be leaking, meaning oil is getting through the engine onto the clutch.  bike to be split to be repaired, expensive fix

*Behind the front wheel, look out for corrosion, it's not a big problem take the cover off and remove the foam padding. Possible problem is the belt only get replaced every 60000km the bolts holding the cover might be corroded and will break when loosing them. expensive repair cost to take out broken studs

* Check for play in the top yoke bearing. Hold front wheel straight dead centre, pull handle bars back and forth there must be no movement. relativity expensive to repair, labour cost, bearing cost minimal.
*On the throttle side remove the panel and check for small hairline cracks on the fuel feedback flange, connector. Expensive replacement part.

*The first day you have the bike home loosen the FD and check the pinion shaft for play, and check if the shaft is lubed. relatively expensive repair.

any thing else?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:38:44 am by michnus »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: BEFORE YOU BUY A 1200GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:14 am »
My alltime favourite......CHECK THE FRONT DISCS!
Ride the bike and gently apply the front brakes, ANY trembling and the discs may be warped, an expensive repair.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Sherman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:51:49 pm »
My alltime favourite......CHECK THE FRONT DISCS!
Ride the bike and gently apply the front brakes, ANY trembling and the discs may be warped, an expensive repair.

What does this cost to repair? what's involved?
God determines the quantity of our lives, we determine the quality.
So lets ride!!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:03 pm »
About R6K,cheaper and better to buy Wunderlich discs tho.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »
* Remove rear wheel and check flange for cracks, problem most 04 and 05 models. expensive repair.

Check where the gearbox and engine casing join for a thin line of oil on the outside, it is a sign the gearbox input shaft seal might be leaking, meaning oil is getting through the engine onto the clutch.  bike to be split to be repaired, expensive fix

was at the local bmw dealer at the start of the month and they had one of those lying on the counter - i recognized it from your photos - and each and every one was also cracked

Offline Bull Grackle

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »
You mentioned the 04 and 05 1200gs's as having flange cracking problems. Are the potential steerhead bearing, final drive, pinion shaft and rear wheel bearing problems you mentioned confined to those model years as well? Or are they spread across all model years? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Offline Boertjie

• The older I get, the faster I used to be!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:05:27 pm »
You mentioned the 04 and 05 1200gs's as having flange cracking problems. Are the potential steerhead bearing, final drive, pinion shaft and rear wheel bearing problems you mentioned confined to those model years as well? Or are they spread across all model years? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Are these problems related to age/mileage, neglect, riding in water/mud/sand...? Are there any telltales in the application/use of the bikes?
Dagaty!!!
Boertjie weg.

BMW R1200GS, Honda Varadero XL1000V

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:38:13 pm »

Flange seems localized between 04 and 05, rest is across the range to check.

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05:23 pm »
Check area below where the driveshaft enters the motor for oil leak. Could indicate a seal needs replacing. Cost me just under a klip with labour included. Check forkseals as you would on any bike. About another k +/-.
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Duke916

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:44:10 am »
Check the main stand taper bolts , the bike is wobbly when on the main stand .The bolts snap off and you can loose the stand if you dont notice it in time! 32000 k's one side snapped and the other side about 3/4 loose . The bush is expensive .
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline SkidVicious

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. Wish I had read it before getting a 2005. Just that others know, I had that corrosion issue on the gear box cover (front cover behind the front wheel) which set me back about R2500 for the part, then the 16 bolts (which I am told have to be replaced every time the cover is pulled off) plus labour. Pretty pricey.

Offline TransAlpie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:56:56 am »
*The first day you have the bike home loosen the FD and check the pinion shaft for play, and check if the shaft is lubed. relatively expensive repair.

[/quote]

Please can you give some more info, what is the FD and where is that photo taken from, the back,front left right? I can see a disk on the left but have know idea where this is on the bike?
thanks
B

Offline Janneman

• Dankbaar
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 10:07:14 am »

Please can you give some more info, what is the FD and where is that photo taken from, the back,front left right? I can see a disk on the left but have know idea where this is on the bike?
thanks
B
[/quote]

ai ai jai jai jai :o   :imaposer:

his is when you drop the wheel out, loosen the stabilising arm on the final drive and then the final drive drops down!!!!

Thsn you will see this picture :mwink: :mwink: :mwink: :thumleft:,

im glad my bike doesnt look like that the whole time, hahahaha

Lifes a journey, so ry die kak uit hom uit!

Offline TransAlpie

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:42 am »

thanks
B

ai ai jai jai jai :o   :imaposer:

his is when you drop the wheel out, loosen the stabilising arm on the final drive and then the final drive drops down!!!!

Thsn you will see this picture :mwink: :mwink: :mwink: :thumleft:,

im glad my bike doesnt look like that the whole time, hahahaha ; tjp

[/quote]

Thanks that makes a bit more sence  :laughing4:

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »
Cam chains will need replacement at 150 000kms max. Cannot find any info on lifespan of the chains.

My experience is that the motor will need a major rebuild from 150 000kms onwards. Engine needs to be split for cam chains, so good time to change all bearings and seals.

Big end bearings and small end bearings do wear as well. Depends on service intervals and type of riding I suppose. But big ends fail before small ends, before main bearings.

DIY it will cost you about 10k in parts.

HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline boss freddy

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Life is to short to travel the same road twice.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:48 am »
I bought a 2009 GSA with  26000 ks on the clock when i checked  it i noticed the thin line of oil between the gearbox and the motor is this something i can fix on my own or would u recomend me rather take it in to the agents ,i have all the tools and the time ,would it save n bit of tom doing it myself.
* Go where there is no path and leave a trail *
GSA1200/TENERE660/ON.ROAD.KLR600/OFF.ROAD.KLR600//YZ250/RT360/BENELI50/GREEN.AR50/RED.AR50/OR50/XL185/IT250.

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 11:34:06 am »
I bought a 2009 GSA with  26000 ks on the clock when i checked  it i noticed the thin line of oil between the gearbox and the motor is this something i can fix on my own or would u recomend me rather take it in to the agents ,i have all the tools and the time ,would it save n bit of tom doing it myself.

Your crank seal is most likely leaking.

The main tool would be the BMW REPROM DVD. If you have time and space, print each page of the procedure, and put the parts on the seperate pages as they come off the bike. You will have to remove the back end of the bike. Reasonable bit involved and you will need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

Nothing too complicated, the manual is very comprehensive.
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline marmite

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:18 am »
Is it safe to buy a late 2007 GS1200 with 53000km on the  clock?? Anything i should be on the lookout for??
Suzuki Djebel - Sold
Kawasaki KX 250 F - Sold
Yamaha WR 450 - Sold
KTM990 Adventure

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 05:41:35 pm »
Centre stand bolt snapped last week! Bike was pretty wobbly between front and back wheel when on the centre stand during the last few days! Easy fix. Went off to EL Nut and Bolt and bought 2 new bolts for      R 8.25 total.

Wonder what BMW would charge for these bolts?
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline T Rex

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 07:40:58 am »
Subscribe