Race to Dakar just screened the first episode in Oz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaqhama

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Well we've all just seen the first episode of Race to Dakar on ABC TV at 8.30pm tonight.

You don't want to know what the majority of riders on Aussie bike forums are saying about old Charley. :lol:

Here are a few of the more humorous comments...

Charley and Matt = Fat.

Race to Makars (McDonalds).

Hey I like this show, it makes me look thin and fit. As opposed to a fat old git. (And I feel like a much better rider now as well!)

How not to prepare to Race to Dakar.

If Greenpeace saw Charley with no shirt on, they'd tow him back out to sea.

Etc etc.

I've got to say that watching Charley and listening to him talk about entering the Dakar it's quite obvious he just isn't prepared for it.
He's just got no confidence in himself at all.
Many of us would look forward to it as a great adventure, he plainly seems terrified of the idea.
And his level of fitness in this first episode is just awful.
It's affecting his riding, his staying power and is, probably, the reason he keeps hurting himself.

The other rider Matt is little better. Did they have a "Fat Man does the Dakar" contest in the UK that we don't know about?

Aussie Simon Pavey is going to gain cult status amongst Aussie riders for his part in the show however.
People have already commented that's it's the only reason they will continue to watch the program.

And one poster asked if Charley stops complaining as the show goes on?...and the response from someone who already has the DVD was...No, he gets worse.
Oh dear.