Thump & Paul's PE to KZN Wilddog Bash trip Day 1 to Day 9 (complete at last)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thump

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
A few months ago, there were rumblings of a possible KZN Bash near Underberg. :ricky:
I was immediately keen and chatted to a few friends who also liked the idea.
The Plan was, take a week off ride up the higher Eastern Cape with the fly rods, maybe do a bit of Lesotho and then the bash. Riding a bit and starting and ending the days flying for trout.

But as we got closer to the time most the guys who were keen couldn’t make it. :xxbah: Times are tough in the EC economy at present. But I had booked and was going what ever. Luckily my mate Paul had also committed.

From a business point of view it ended up a bad time to leave for a week, but I had committed to Paul so said nothing,  just ignored my concerns and went.
When chatting afterwards I found that he had the same problem, only going because he had committed to me.
Ain’t life great?
We’re both glad we went.

After much posting and asking for advice we settled on this planned route.
(This is a great forum https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=38141.0)

ridetoKZNbashnback.jpg

The only accommodation booked was at Silverstreams resort for the Bash.
We agreed to ride and although we had approximate daily targets we would decide on route depending on how we felt as to where we would sleep.
The preliminary sleeping spots were Barkley East, Ramabanta, Katse dam, Silverstreams(3 nights), Rhodes, Stutterheim.

But all good adventures start with the plans being changed as you go.

Day 1 - Sunday 20th Sep 2009
PE – Alicedale – Riebeck East – Adelaide – Winterberg – Balfour pass – Queenstown – 430km

After a week of sorting the bike out, fixing everything and packing I was ready to go.
Checked that Paul had checked everything, especially the battery water. This tends to evaporate suddenly when you least expect it (I’ve got some distilled water thanks to Fugly)
All fine so Sunday I meet Paul at his place. All ready to go.
IMG_0001-2.jpg

When I try to start the bike.. Nurring. Battery flat. (I’d left the ignition on while waiting for him)
So there we are trying to push start a loaded bike but it’s not playing with.
I use his bike and go fetch jumpers at my place. I decided to take them with to prevent problems on the gravel.
Never needed them again

Great start to our ride. I just new we were in for an adventure.
Finally we’re off. This is the route we did for the day, deciding to stop over in Queenstown when we got there after 4pm. My Garmin charger wasn’t working properly and I wanted to try get a new one in the morning.
day1.jpg

Most of the pics and Videos below were taken while riding, so excuse the lack of quality.
I also haven’t edited anything.

First bit of dirt on the gravel highway to Alicedale.
IMG_0003-1.jpg

Alicedale to Riebeck East via Burchells game reserve. I’ve ridden this route often so not too many pics.
Area is very dry at the moment. We saw very few animals in an area normally teeming with wildebeest and buck.
IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

We veered off the road to look down the valley to see if maybe they weren’t down at the river.
Nurring
IMG_0009-4.jpg

From Riebeck East to Adelaide we also went through some game reserves and a few gates but only saw a few buck in the distance. But the roads were fun.
IMG_0016-5.jpg

Trying for the artistic shot
IMG_0020-3.jpg

Intersections with memories of previous rides entertainment. (Hey Bakkie?)
IMG_0023-5.jpg

Animals in the distance
IMG_0027-7.jpg

And our first sign of a potential water crossing
IMG_0028-5.jpg

Adelaide was basically closed.
Just bought a chocolate and coke for lunch. Didn’t feel like the take away’s on offer.
IMG_0029-6.jpg

Then into the Post Retief, Winterberg area.
I used to work in this area 20 years ago but don’t remember the roads much.
It was definitely greener back then. I still have fond memories of our  4x4 adventures in the rain and mud all part of the job. Good days.

Adelaide’s dam
IMG_0032-3.jpg

Sheep must have thought I’m Australian. See how they run. I’m always scared of sheep as they don’t have much logic. Often crossing right in front of you instead of staying where it’s safe.
IMG_0033-3.jpg

Some wildlife again. Note the albinos.
IMG_0035-3.jpg

Left or right? Lets go the long way.
IMG_0036-5.jpg

Stopped at this bridge to see this little chap sun tanning below. Paul tried to get it to move to watch it swim but it took a lot of persuasion. Was not scared of anything. He was well over a meter from nose to end of tail.
IMG_0037-3.jpg

The bridge
IMG_0038-2.jpg

Some more along the route. Very nice roads until just before the top of Katberg pass where there are a lot of round stones making things a bit tricky.
IMG_0043-3.jpg

IMG_0046-2.jpg

IMG_0050-3.jpg

Then we joined with the top of Katberg pass, on to Devil’s Bellows Neck.
Paul had lost his petrol can so we turned around to find it. When we stopped his bike had it’s first rest.
IMG_0051-1.jpg

Luckily paul's a good sport
Pics with a frame around them like below are videos

Then the road got prettier with some greenery for a change.

Then on to Wittlesea.
IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059-2.jpg

Wide open roads
GS country
IMG_0060-1.jpg

We spent the night at Roydon game farm. Great place with very friendly and helpful staff.
We practically had the place to ourselves.
IMG_0084-2.jpg

The cottage (Each had one to our self)
IMG_0066-2.jpg

The soap. I nearly managed to get Paul to think it was fudge, but he held it under his nose too long while talking and got the smell. Eish, I wish he’d shut up and eat.
IMG_0067-1.jpg

The tame animals.
IMG_0068-4.jpg

IMG_0070-1.jpg

IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0090-2.jpg

And the braai.
IMG_0094-3.jpg

All in all a great start, Just was a bit worried about my Garmin Charger.

Day 2 to follow.