KAROO GEM,WHAT A MAGICAL PLACE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat b

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I love the outdoors ! Always have , always will ! When lifes stresses get to much nothing restores my sanity more than hitting the open road ,and if it's the road less traveled all the better !
The karoo has a special kind of magic about it that is as addictive as any drug ! Just spend five minutes on your back staring at the stars and you're hooked ! Just spend a day exploring the back roads and you're hooked ! Just breathe the fresh air or converse with it's friendly people or eat it's food and you are hooked ! Big time !!

I needed this drug and decided to re aquaint myself with a place I had been to a long time ago ... Tht Gamkapoort Dam .

There are two routes to the dam , the more well known route is to go down the  Seweweekspoort and then down the Bosluiskloof .but the route that my friend Grootvoet ,his son Boesman and I were to take was the less traveled route from Prins Albert.

Time was of the essense as I was working till one o'clock on saturday and it's quite a way from Mossel Bay to Prins Albert.
I left Mosel Bay and rode directly to Oudtshoorn where I was to rondesvous with Grootvoet and Boesman.From there we hightailed it to De Rust ,now that place is a mystery to me because every time I arrive there I always end up staying much longer than I want to , this was to be no different ! Suitably "fortified" we hit the road to Prins Albert via the majestic Meiringspoort and  the Hamlet of Klaarstroom.

On arrival in Prins Albert it was already getting quite late , so we decided to fill up ,deflate our tyres and chase the setting sun ,literally we would be riding with the sun setting right in front of us !

Approximatly 45 km of hard riding through drifts , sand , gravel , twisties and straights we finally arrived at our destination just as the sun was setting!
DSC04906.jpg

Grootvoet
DSC04907.jpg

We found a suitable camping spot.
DSC04908.jpg

We were really surrounded by a amphitheater of beauty.
DSC04909.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

We were treated to a stunning sunset.
DSC04911.jpg

DSC04917.jpg

We were treated to another full moon as well.
DSC04918.jpg

It was such a lovely night I decided to sleep outside .
My sleaping quarters.
DSC04919.jpg

DSC04920.jpg

I had a truly brilliant all be it sleepless night , between the moon and stars , I felt totally and completely happy ! Exept for those fucking mozzies ! they almost sucked me dry !!!
I was up bright and early and had a nice walk next to the dam ,man that was invigorating !
DSC04924.jpg

DSC04925.jpg

The alternative accomodation .
DSC04926.jpg

Grootvoet stoking the fire.
DSC04927.jpg

We dicovered this sign a bit late I'm afraid !
DSC04928.jpg

Truly awsome to wake up to this !
DSC04929.jpg

Me wrestling with my sleeping bag ! I really hate having to pack up the morning after the night before !
DSC04932.jpg

I tried to ride out to the waters edge and almost got stuck in the mud !! Be carefull !
DSC04938.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

DSC04940.jpg

Time to hit the road. The road winds around this wierdly shaped dam ,do yourself a favour and follow the road all the way around the dam till it ends , you won't be sorry !
DSC04942.jpg

DSC04943.jpg

DSC04944.jpg

DSC04945.jpg

Nice twisties!
DSC04946.jpg

DSC04947.jpg

This road has it all , long fast straights , rocky twisties , sand glorious sand ,and ofcourse the natural vistas!
Abandoned farm house.
DSC04948.jpg

Plenty of corrigations and sand , I had a few nasty tank slappers!
DSC04949.jpg

Great bike ,great place!
DSC04951.jpg

Thick riverbed like sand, with lots of gravel.
DSC04952.jpg

DSC04953.jpg

Wide open spaces.
DSC04954.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04956.jpg

Drifts , these are great when it has rained and for those who love water crossings , go after it has rained ,you won't be sorry !
DSC04957.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

This trip is just what the docktor ordered ! Good friends great bikes, awsome nature !
DSC04960.jpg