Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Train from CPT to JHB  (Read 1038 times)

Offline supertorro

Train from CPT to JHB
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:46 pm »
Salaam

So who has taken the train from CPT to JHB or vice-versa? I need to be up in JHB on a monthly basis, but don't want to be stuck without transport, and hiring a cage leaves me stuck in the traffic all the time (not to mention lost because there's no mountain!).  So I'm thinking the best solution will be to take the train through and load the bike on the train.  It's just an overnight trip so it works out quite nicely.

Now who has had any experience with this?  I can imagine it'll be fairly dull, but is it a viable option????

thanks

Offline ThomTom

Re: Train from CPT to JHB
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:19:52 pm »
Train trip possible but is not overnight; take longer.  bike on the train is not a problem but will also add time as you need to there 1 to 2 hours before departing.  Actual train trip; I have done both the normal train as well as Premiere Classe this year, both fine.  cost; i think bike now extra R 650 one way?

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »
In a couple of weeks, we'll have a range of Suzuki's to hire in Johannesburg as well as Cape Town. Our fleet is being expanded to include Suzuki VStrom's, Boulevards, DR 650's and Bandit 1250's.

A Vstrom will cost you from as little as R790.00 per day, so 2 days rental equivalent to one-way cost of taking your bike to JHB by train.

Cheers

Lawrence
Longway Moto
www.longwaymoto.co.za

Offline supertorro

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:25:15 pm »
Thanks for that guys.

As I'll be staying for about 7 - 10 days at a time, renting a bike quickly becomes quite expensive.  Once would be fine, but every month, pretty quickly adds up to a very good 2nd hand bike.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • MobiBins
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:50 pm »
I have done the trip a few times and if you are not in a hurry then yes. But it is going to put a lot of extra traveling time and with cheap flights these days I don't know how practical it will become.

But I have a special place for the train. Nothing like sleeping on one....

Oh, and almost 90% of the times we have done it we had a breakdown somewhere in the Karoo that delayed the train for hours.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:34:56 pm »
Oh, and almost 90% of the times we have done it we had a breakdown somewhere in the Karoo that delayed the train for hours.

LOL

I haven't been on the Transkaroo for ages but I remember those breakdowns.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • MobiBins
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:45:03 pm »

LOL

I haven't been on the Transkaroo for ages but I remember those breakdowns.

Ja, not so 'lekker' when it's in summer....

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
Our Zimbabwean landscaping engineer recently told me how he gets to Zim and back to visit his family now and then. Train from CT to Jhb, then another train to Polokwane (I think) and then a taxi to Beit Bridge.

I was impressed by how quickly it takes to get to Jhb. If you leave here today, you're there the next morning. But apparently it gets quite cramped in the economy classes - towards the end there's only standing room left. And then you also have to contend with fellow passengers stealing your stuff if you look away.

But I've had some epic train rides. Booze, sex and guys climbing out one window and into another at night while train is moving. Blame the apartheid SADF.   :biggrin:
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann