Lesotho Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
There will no doubt be a couple of reports posted on the same trip, so I will keep the commentary limited where possible.

Left Hilton at about 12h30 to meet up with Shark at 13h00 as arranged.

Bikeparked at Notties, all packed and ready to go, probably too much kit, but you have to cater for all eventualities.

DSC00216.jpg

Left for Himeville and the SA Border Post on my own as Shark sms'd me that he was running an hour late.

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Arrived at the SA Border post at about 15h30 and waited for Shark, who arrived at about 15h59.

DSC00228.jpg

From there had an easy and uneventful ride up the pass to the top.

DSC00229.jpg

Shark showing his happiness at his first visit to Sani Top Chalets

DSC00233.jpg

We then set about trying to deplete the lodge of their supplies of Maluti Lager while enjoying the last of the late afternoon sunshine on the deck overlooking the pass

DSC00236.jpg

Ben from Texas and Mel from Ozz who kindly shared their meal with us that evening at the Backpacker's Lodge

DSC00237.jpg

After a great breakfast we left Sani Top at about 9h00 for our trip across Lesotho. We had no unpleasant incidents whatsoever, just lots of waves and big smiles from all we encountered.

It was a really stunning ride, done at a fairly laid-back pace, which suited me just fine.

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

We had been a bit concerned about the river crossing where 2 GS's had drowned the week before. But the fact that we were on KLR's meant we cruised the river crossing. Possibly the fact that the river level had dropped to such an extent that we didn't get our tyres wet helped to some extent.

DSC00250.jpg

Arrived at maseru at about 17h00 that afternoon and made our way to the Maseru Sports Club, which was a hive of activity. The club is a lovely old colonial sandstone building. Here we met up with SGB and the others.

DSC00254.jpg

Craig and Peter from Durban with their KLR and 640 Adv

DSC00251.jpg

Had a laid-back meal at the Club that evening and got to bed fairly early, which was just as well as the plan was to leave for the start at 05h00 the next morning. The long ride through Lesotho meant my little inflatable mattress worked like a bomb as I had no problem falling asleep.

Day 2 to follow.

Jon