Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ride reports - videos & pics  (Read 411 times)

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Ride reports - videos & pics
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:26 pm »
Hi
After my recent RR http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=38766.0
I got to wondering about people's preferences re ride reports.
Firstly Videos
I took some along the way and posted on photobucket and included in the report.
This took a long time and used up my allocated GB quite quickly and the quality was bad when replaying them.
I'm not likely to do that again, although I sometimes enjoy other guys videos.

so what do you think?

Then the pic vs writing.

I'm very lazy when it comes to typing and so often keep it short even though there's a lot more I could say on a photo or experience. But I notice some guys really enjoy reading all the stuff, whereas I glance through the writing and enjoy the pics, sometimes reading onlly when a pic grabs me.

But once again there's the downloading and up loading that takes time and MB.

And that brings us to
long with lost of info vs short reports route and odd highlight

Please post 1 vote in each catagory

:deal:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Big H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Ride reports - videos & pics
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:22 am »
I think people can easily overdo the pics. In my opinion the pics should cover the highlights and only the best ones should be selected for the RR.

Take my last RR for example. I took over 750 pics on the trip, less than 200 made it to the final selection, and for the RR I only selected 5 pics for each day.

On the other hand, I'm sure that other people like to see a pic of each and every area that was visited during the trip, and there is definitely a place for that too.

The only thing that gets me (and that's when I usually stop reading and/or waiting for all the pics to download) is when there is not enough variation in the pics. I mean, how many photos do I really want to see of the same dudes on the same bikes doing the same thing.....?

:bueller:

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
 :deal:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »
I like a good mix between the writen report and pics. A pic or two of each rider in the group and pics of the ride always make it worth while to read for me. But then a pictorial is also very good too, if the pics are good and show the scenery of the area. Pics of bikes at t-junctions can be boring at times  ;)

Offline Dustdevil

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:08:47 am »
Hordes of pictures of hordes of guys and girls at the campsite drinking and poking fun at the camera is only of interest to the guys that were on the trip. For the rest of us reading the report we could not care less about the drunken debauchery. Add this at the end or best leave these stories as it ruins a good ride report.

If you have a good story about some interesting and little known area it is nice to see more of the trip but if it is a common or well known route throw up one or two of your best pics and say you had a good ride. KISS- keep it short & sweet.

When doing a long report on some awesome adventure ride full of eventualities and interesting locations, be selective and post the best image of each location or event. If you have a knack for writing and are good at descriptive language and can add humor and drama to the events you are describing then it is worthwhile to write longer reports. For the rest it makes more sense to let the pics do the talking with a short descriptive one liner.

Videos is great but they must be edited, show only the interesting clips. Clip lengths is often not longer than a few seconds at a time. The shorter they get the faster the action appears to happen.

Every trip is special in it's own right but the report must be done in perspective and should focus on sharing the adventure and not make it look boring.