You know when ... DAMN, that hurts!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
You know how one sometimes does things automatically, without giving it much thought?  Sometimes we do things without giving it any thought at all.  Like leaving the house, riding down the road and then wondering “Did I close the gate?”  Then you promptly make a U-turn and go back home, only to discover “Yes, I did close the gate!”

I have developed one of these habits that have been hanging around looking for an opportunity to get me into trouble.  Today, well, let’s just say the planets all lined up and the setup was perfect.

My riding pants are rather hard and so rather uncomfortable after just getting onto the bike.  It seems to want to pull up into my crotch like it’s on a mission to prevent me ever having more kids.  So what I usually do is stand up briefly after pulling away to let the pants settle and get rid of all the creases.  This has become the habit that caught me out today.

I have the luxury of an underground parking in one of the buildings where I work.  I love it!  Ever heard a Dakar with a vdLinde pipe being blipped in an underground parking garage?  :biggrin:  Anyway, today I had to dash off to my other office so, jumped on the bike and was just pulling out of my parking when 3 or 4 other cars came down the ramp to my level.  So I carefully navigated around them all, up the ramp onto the upper level and turned right toward the exit boom.  Now that I was free and clear of the traffic I stand up to settle the pants and BAM!!  Next thing I’m flat on my back on the floor, the bike running a short distance before it too hits the deck.  I sat up wondering “What the hell??!!” 
You often hear stories of people being shot without realizing it until the pain sets in a few moments later.  My immediate reaction was, “Damn, I’ve been shot!”  Then I start wondering why my helmet is sitting on my head at such a weird angle.  I straighten it out and it’s only then that I look up and notice this huge copper fire hydrant pipe suspended from the roof.  It’s rather dark in the garage for starters, then the pipe is dark brown and, to crown it all, I have a dark tinted visor.  That pipe came out of nowhere and felled me like the Nephalim in Noah’s day would fell a dwarf!

Fortunately I fitted crash bars on the bike just not so long ago and the garage has a very smooth concrete floor so absolutely no damage on the bike.  My backside though, well, that’s another story!

So Beware!  Before you stand up, make sure you have the headroom to do it!