1200 GS ADV FINAL DRIVE MAINTENACE AND CHECKS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hopefully people with 10thumbs can use this thread to check on their FD's on a regular basis and not end up like others with a shortage of breath and panic when they ride it too near destruction just to get told it will cost R18k to be replaced.

First thing make sure you know how to check the play on your FD, I list it lower in this thread.
Secondly make sure you are always aware of vibrations on your footgeps and oil sweat on your final drive, it will help that you do not ride your FD too destruction.
Third, make sure to shop around with BMW dealers some do employ the most useless of skin and will tell you your finaldrive is busted but can in fact be repaired for a lot less.

My older 1200 Final drive pinion bearing felt a bit loose, bike is on 70000km, so I send it to Hochland Auto for the repair, cost was around R2500, the bearing itself was the most expensive part. Thing is, seems in SA at BMW, there's only one tool to repair these final drives, so it took some 6 weeks for the thing to get repaired.

The good news: It's not the monster money sucker as most people try to make it out. For one, changing your FD oil every 10000km IMO is not going to stop the FD bearings from failing, if they for some reason start to wear prematurely they are going to go with or without oil changes.  Yes, for sure there's no harm in changing the oil regularly. And there is no need the FD should leave you on your trip into darkest Africa.

How to change the FD oil
The Wilddog way

The Castrol Final Drive SAF XO oil BMW spec are very good oil and will last the life of the FD. Rather than waste oil, every 10000km take out the ABS sensor which is a magnetic unit and look for steel shavings, if there''s nothing there's no need to change the oil. I am not sure on the 08 models, but it might be that the drain plug also have a magnetic plug.

How to check for play:
Second thing is, it's only the bearings or a bearing that will break not the entire FD, with regular inspections you will pick it  On every service when the FD is down feel for play on the pinion as per picture.
Also feel for play with the wheel on and the bike on the centre stand, side ways, at 3oclock and 9 oclock, there must be less than 1 to 2mm play. Do these checks yourself, and never use a high pressure cleaner near the FD. There's only the dust seals and one bearing to cover for dirt.
I guarantee you BMW mechanics don't do this, other wise they would also have picked up on more flanges that's cracked!.

018-splines-exposed-1.jpg
Finaldriveplay.jpg

Before I fit it, thought it good to check on the other two bearings in the FD, then it's suppose to be good for another 70000km. They should last more than that. up in time.

The two bearings holding the crown wheel cost R700 and R600 at BMW, the one you can buy for R140 at bearings-shops and the shaft seals cost less than R30 for both. The needle bearing is a BMW specific and you have to get from them. The one bearing is a sealed roller bearing, hell knows why BMW used it, as no FD oil gets to it, mine was dry as the seal was worn out. In fact only 3 of the FD bearings are using FD oil for lubrication.

I am no mechanic but have bit of tools and was able to do the job myself. But I would rather have gave it to a guy like Adventurer or Hochland to overhaul for me, solely because of the time factor. And that I do not own a torque wrench that can go to 200NM settings as required, and the castle nut socket. The pinion bearings is better left to somebody that's got the tool to replace it with, it's not as easy as the other two main bearings.

I spoke to Adventurer and he said he can refurbish FD's for us and he will be building such a tool. IMO, any 1200 that's got over 100000km on the odo or close to that, get all the bearings replaced for peace of mind, it will cost around R3500 or R4000. You will never have to worry about the FD. Obviously BMW will charge more to refurbish the FD, just their parts alone are more expensive.
That's one set of chains and sprockets for a KTM's and they change it every 20000km.  :deal: :biggrin:

The arrows shows the bearings.

200910221832_237-1.jpg
200910221833_238-1.jpg
200910221833_239-1-1.jpg
200910221834_240-1-1.jpg

Some tools you would need:
Torx male socket set
Torque wrench small and medium size.
Bearing puller
Serious long nose pliers to remove serious cir-clip.