Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Broken Virginity - West Canal Way!!!  (Read 6916 times)

Offline yaartbrak

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • I Lick U Stukkend!
Broken Virginity - West Canal Way!!!
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:27:46 pm »
As i am starting to type this ride report, i battle to get my fingers to push the right keys, as i caaarrrnt feel my arms!!

This was my and "The Collar's" first ride out with the dogs, I would just like to warn any prospective dogs to never ever believe Malgat when he types during a Ride Planning that a ride is "easy as pie"

We started the morning very early, we were up before any sparrows have even thought of a fart, the roads were very quiet as we made our way to Harties, got there met up with the rest of the dogs and introductions followed, what a friendly bunch of people!

The Collar checking out the bikes

Approx 30 minutes later and we were down, in the mud, my first confrontation with the mud monster and we were eating mud, I must say the comaraderie and sportsmanship is well apppreciated.

and then i fell foul again of the mud monster and went down again, twice, this time our fairly new riding kit was full of mud, Shaun showed me how to pick up the bike....

After some good riding and Shaun playing host to The Collar on his bike, I had to get the feeling of the bike so he graciously offered to let the collar ride pillion with him. We stopped at Beestekraal Station, the most amazing sight some cool refreshments were enjoyed which went down very well and a cheese burger followed suite.

It was then decided that we would split into 2 groups the fast group and the slow group, no prizes to guess in which group i decided to ride in, follow the north channel road and the winding road, my nerves were shot and tired ness came over me, and me and the collar decided to opt out of the rest of the ride and got onto some tar and followed the road to Brits, then Harties then .................

Here we stopped under a tree just before Brits to have some hot water

We stopped off at the Wimpy to have a cold Coke, and then hit the road for the final journey home, when we came ove rthe hill  by Lanseria it seemed that the sky was alive with Lightning and thunder, as we turned onto the R28 the rain came down pouring, luckilly a large percentage of the mud was washed of the bike.

We would just like to  thank each and everyone for making me and the Collar feel welcome, for all the advise that was given, and especially for all the times we were helped up and the encouraging words, we will be back!

Oh Malgat, it wasnt as easy as pie, i am now put of pies for life ;)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:33:22 pm by yaartbrak »
Life is like a box of chocolates, your family and friends always steal the best ones!
BMWR1200GS - SOLD
BMWR1200RT - Loving it!

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: Broken Virginity - West Canal Way!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »
Thanks for posting
Nice pics
I like your humour  ;D
Rallye

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:48:58 pm »
Yaartbrak, I guess this is one ride you and the collar is going to remember for a long time!  :biggrin:
Sorry I couldn't make it, there was other things in the way today, maybe I'll see you next time.

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »
Thanks to Catchy and Malgat for organising this ride, it was truly a very nice day with lots of laughs, some mud, some slippery loose gravel, and we even spotted a "kanaal baber"  :laughing4: :laughing4:

Some pics from my side, I hope I get everybody's name correct...   ::)

The day started out beautifully, with the best riding conditions imaginable. My bike at the poop-dam:

Some pics after the mud patch mentioned above, that claimed a Transalp and a 800GS:

:mwink: :mwink:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:57:27 pm by KnopKop »

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:05:50 pm »
Man, this new Tenere is getting prettier and prettier every time I see one. Today was the first time I saw one in action, and man that bike is sweeet, when in the right hands..... beautiful to watch....

Catchy with his Tenere:

Welsh and Catchy with Shaun's AWESOME 950SE:

:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »
After Beestekraal Stasie, we took the East Canal road back, some pics:

Shaun on the 950SE

Just Biking on the 990Adv

Travel Gravel on the 690:

:biggrin: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:15:27 pm by KnopKop »

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 08:18:32 pm »
Some more,

Malgat:

Liezl:

:ricky:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:20:59 pm by KnopKop »

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 08:22:24 pm »
The last ones I took - Yaartbrak and The Collar .... :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

:)

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
Broken
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:45:22 pm »
Haha..wel like any de-virgin u wont forget this ride..wel done to both of you..it can only get better..hope too see yous soon again..a ride like today wil scare any newbie and pleez dont  disapear..
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline JustBiking

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Highveld, Centurion
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:10:28 am »
It was a great day out meeting old friends and making some new ones...

Some early west canal roads

The mudmonster strikes.....

The last long straights to Beestekraal. Malgat thanks that rail-road detour to Beestekraal was great fun....

Meeting GundaGunda just before we leave

Catchy & Ouhound getting ready to leave

We also had the rare opportunity to witness the lessor spotted "Kanaal Baber"   :biggrin:
Here "Kanaal Baber" getting a lift upstream

.... and swimming downstream..

.... and needing a helping hand to get out  :biggrin:

Knopkop nice pics there.....

Thanks for everybody making this a great day out....
Yaartbrak and The Collar I hope this won't put you off from joining us again......
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying........."Damn..We F*cked Up" - Anon.

Offline Catchy

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:13:46 am »
Man, this new Tenere is getting prettier and prettier every time I see one. Today was the first time I saw one in action, and man that bike is sweeet, when in the right hands..... beautiful to watch....

Thanx KnopKop, you are way to kind! Nice riding with you  :thumleft:
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline Catchy

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:16:28 am »
From my side a big thank you to all who joined. From what was a confirmed 4 bike ride on Friday night turned out to be about 10 bikes including the virgins – Yaartbrak and the collar.
Things started out quite sedately when we turned off on the west canal route with Malgat leading. The whole picture soon changed when due to Friday nights heavy rains sections of the route were flooded turning areas of the normally smooth service roads into real mud baths.
Liezel (on a 800GS I might add – respect ) :thumleft: was right in front of me when she took the first “Dive of the Day” ! :o As soon as we got her up and going again in came Yaartbrak and the collar for their first  encounter with the mud monster taking another spill shortly after that just for good measure! Fortunately no harm was done! :thumleft:

After some route searching and most of the mud monsters now a thing of the past we all made it in one piece to Beestekraal for the obligatory refreshments and brunch. From here we split the group into two  – a faster one and a slower one. We headed back towards Upper Deck along the North canal at a rapid rate of knots only to find Stephan sitting on the side of the road looking a bit pale and in obvious pain. :o ( mend well Stephan ) They had been travelling along the same route in a northerly direction when Stephan got a kick-ass tank slapper bringing him to the ground hard enough to break his collarbone and a few ribs. Groenie and Co. seemed to have the situation under control and after offering our sympathies in true Wild Dog  fashion we were on our way again.

From here it was flat out  to UD  with Welsh, Sean, Jaco, KnopKop,Alfred and myself riding like demons  >:D, I must add a word of respect to Welsh on his Pig – man you know how to ride that thing! :thumleft: I soon found out what half of 90degrees was when I misjudged my breaking  while entering a sharp left hander at speed dissecting the corner with surgical precision only to save it by a millimetre - close call indeed. :biggrin:

Soon we were all at Upper Deck enjoying some refreshments and wondering if we were going to make it home without getting soaked by the threatening  rain, I know I made it, hope the rest of you did too, thank you all – till we ride again! :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:11:45 am by Catchy »

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:32:52 am »
From here it was flat out  to UP  with Welsh, Sean, Jaco, KnopKop and myself riding like demons  >:D, I must add a word of respect to Welsh on his Pig – man you know how to ride that thing!

>:D >:D >:D

Yup, that stretch after we left Groenie and the gang, was some of the hardest riding I have done, but enjoyed it soooo much, I could not stop smiling in my helmet. I must say, when you have a Big Ugly Welshman on a Big Pig on your tail chasing you at pace, man, you learn very quickly to focus on the job at hand  :deal: :deal:

Thanks again to everyone that took part in this ride. The spirit of the ride and riders slow or fast, made this ride. It is really not about the bike or how fast you go, but the company!!!

Thanks to all  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:42 am »
Thanks Catch, it was fun chasing the Tennere even if I was creating some dust  ::), nobody mentioned that the middle sections of the canal roads were Looooooose, lots of beeeeg slides lots of fun for alllll  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Gee S

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 10:16:59 am »
This was my first Canal ride and I really enjoyed it. My thanks to every one involved. As Malgat said some of the sections were very loose and fast and I fully expected to find some "briek merke" in my jocks.
here's a few photos I took.

The mudmonsters first victim. I wonder what Yaarbrak and Collar, closest to the camera were thinking right then........

Maybe hoping that this wouldn't happen? But don't worry sooner or later it happens to everyone.

Some more.

This is what its about for me. Good riding and good company. I cant wait for the next ride. :ricky:

Groenie I am glad you all got out of that incident without injuries or other k@rk.
Luckily for Ganjora most cops cant hit shit with anything but a shotgun.
All that wander are not lost

Offline Catchy

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:16 am »
Thanks for posting Gee S, nice having you on the ride - well ridden :thumleft:

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 11:31:23 am »
Fun in the mud there - looks a lekka ride though
and is that Mr Gee S there?

Offline Gee S

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 12:05:46 pm »
Fun in the mud there - looks a lekka ride though
and is that Mr Gee S there?

Yip its me. How's the bike coming along
All that wander are not lost

Offline WildChild

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Look ma, no hands!!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 03:41:18 pm »
Nice RR! Thanks for sharing  :thumleft:
Today, let your heart dance.
You will find no shortage of dance partners, as your feet join in.
And your eyes.
And your smile.
And every part of your body and your feelings.  Let your heart dance all day long.

Offline Sloane Ranger

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • test text
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 12:59:49 pm »
After keeping a close eye on this and other canal RR’s, I have a question about which canal is which. This RR refers to the ‘west’ canal and I have seen other references on other RR’s which mention a ‘north’ and even an ‘east’ canal.(I have the route loaded by Marnus on Knopkops RR.. many thanks.. and intend riding it on Sunday, possibly doing a detour around Mr Grumpy with the guns’ hideout. )

On Google Earth, I can clearly find a canal that is further to the west of the one in this RR. My question is: how many canals are there, are they also rideable and do they have standard names?