OMG! ...I have found heaven

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayneh

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BSA (all models)
Okay... It's been a little while coming.
After a few months of incredible exploration, it is now about time to spill the beans... And turn even the hardest Kaapie supporter, of my old ride crew, green with envy  :biggrin:

I & the family moved up here earlier this year, and soon realised Windhoek offered some unique pleasures. Besides a wonderful spread of awesome German meats  :p and interesting Home Affairs perpetual moving target  :deal:  ...There's numerous riding trails in every direction. less than 5 kms away.
View of Windhoek... (with awesome trail entry point)
Windhoek1.jpg

This is just north... behind the Nampower plant.
Windhoek2.jpg

And so begins a maze of trails branching off in so many directions into the eastern hills.
Windhoek3.jpg

Miles of hills... With every type of descent and ascent (gentle to white-knuckle steep; hard pack to rolling marbles). There's trails that even become riverbeds... Majestic view points and stomach-twisting drops into beautiful valleys.
But enough with the verbal gushing.  ::)  ...I'll let the pics tell a tale...

Entry...
DSC02761Medium.jpg

First there's some gentle rolling hills...
DSC02762Medium.jpg

Then the trail drops into a valley...
DSC02763Medium.jpg

At this point in trail follows a dry riverbed...
DSC02764Medium.jpg

DSC02766Medium.jpg

DSC02765Medium.jpg

Then pops out...
DSC02767Medium.jpg

The start of many steep, winding hill climbs (the WC Dawgs who have ridden Perdeberg will know all about these)...  >:D
DSC02769Medium.jpg

Lots of very loose gravel and some interesting ruts & wash-aways, make this a 1st-gear full-throttle event. And hope you don't stop - cause it's hell to get going again. What fun!!!!  ;D
DSC02770Medium.jpg

Oh, and there's often a deep drop off the side - just to 'pucker' the bum cheeks even tighter  :eek7:
DSC02771Medium.jpg

Suddenly you pop out onto a line of hills...
DSC02773Medium.jpg

With Windhoek disappearing behind...
DSC02772Medium.jpg

These hills go on for miles and miles. Not a soul in sight.
DSC02774Medium.jpg

Inter-spread with a odd fast open stretch...
DSC02775Medium.jpg

Winds around, in and out of valleys...
DSC02776Medium.jpg

DSC02777Medium.jpg

A number of 1st-gear, brake-trailing descents...
DSC02778Medium.jpg

DSC02781Medium.jpg

DSC02782Medium.jpg

This just goes on and on...
DSC02784Medium.jpg

These trails work their way, crisscrossing through the entire north eastern mountain range...  >:D
Windhoek4.jpg

There is no better place on earth I have found for some fun on a sub 900 dirt bike. Sure, I know a good few 1200 & 950 guys who'll comfortably get through this, but not with as much pleasure as the 650, 500 and 450 crew.

I have another route for the bigger bikes... Ether the longer trail through the western Hochlands hills, or a lekker two-three hour ride covering lots of varied terrain.

DSC02719.jpg

Even a river crossing (with water)...  ;D
DSC02720.jpg

Hard pack highway...
DSC02721.jpg

A little sand...
DSC02722.jpg

...A little more... (just to get the front wheel snaking)
DSC02723.jpg

Heading towards the hills I found an interesting old Missionary...
DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

...More sand. Well, this is Nam anyway - what would you expect...
DSC02728.jpg

Evidence of last summer's hectic floods. It takes some time for the structures to be fixed... But this makes for more interesting sights (note: the road is only wide enough for a bike to cross - awesome. Exclusivity).
DSC02729.jpg

So Dawgs, next time you're riding through Nam give me a heads-up a few days before... I'd be very happy to guide you through a fun-filled day-route around the Windhoek region. From the technical to the easy-going sightseeing... We're soooo spoilt for choice.

:thumleft: