Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice needed 125cc 2-stroke or 4 stroke  (Read 792 times)

Offline WF

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Advice needed 125cc 2-stroke or 4 stroke
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 04:07:46 pm »
Hi Plothond , if i buy him the 690 he will definitly never be at school !
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts. Dylan is partial to the DT , rides a WR450 so knows and likes Yamaha.
He had a seriously bad experience with a Gas Gas 300 2 STROKE, seized it properly ! I accused him of riding it flat out for too long , something i said 2 strokes dont like. Anyways since then he has really been against 2 stroke.
We use the Yamaha AG 200's on our farm its a 4 stroke but has no where near the go of the older 175 2 strokes we used to have.
If anyone out there is in the business or has either a very clean Yamaha or Honda id appreciate hearing from you.

Everyone dies, not everyone lives !

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »
Yes, SharkZa, you're so right, future riders will soon have no choice of any 2stroke, so Martin leave your son with decent stories to tell!
The Americans say there's no substitute for cubic inches in a 4stroke. This is true, a small 4stroke is just a piece of shit.

Quite correct - there is no substitute for the power band on a small two stroke. On some old two strokes one could increase the capacity by simply replacing the piston, barrel and head. Not too sure if this can be done on the DT125 but I would imagine the motor would be similar to the DT175. Just had a look at the Yamaha website and the stroke for both the 125 and 175 is 50mm.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »
Come to think of it maybe the barells are the same and a simple re-bore would do the trick. Worth looking into.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 09:08:14 am »
Yes, SharkZa, you're so right, future riders will soon have no choice of any 2stroke, so Martin leave your son with decent stories to tell!
The Americans say there's no substitute for cubic inches in a 4stroke. This is true, a small 4stroke is just a piece of shit.

Quite correct - there is no substitute for the power band on a small two stroke. On some old two strokes one could increase the capacity by simply replacing the piston, barrel and head. Not too sure if this can be done on the DT125 but I would imagine the motor would be similar to the DT175. Just had a look at the Yamaha website and the stroke for both the 125 and 175 is 50mm.

The 200 Blaster barrel is a bolt on for the DT175...
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.