The Big Balloon Theory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
(Ok I’m trying out this photobucket thingy, so be patient…)

A ride report with a difference...

A few months ago we went on a Breast Cancer Fundraising and Awareness Ride which was organized by Speed Queen, and to top off a very enjoyable ride and day we won the main prize – a trip for two in a Hot Air Balloon over Harties – so before I get too excited and carried away, thanks to Speed Queen, Skye Restaurant and Life Ballooning – it was awesome  :thumleft:

We were strictly instructed to be there no later than 5am, yes, that’s 5 in the morning, when all good things are still suppose to be asleep - so we left at about 4 to go and see if it’s all a bunch of hot air…  :D

Hmm… not sure if black cats in front of bikes are bad omens too…

Hot cup of coffee was ready and waiting for us as we got there and then we went to go and see  how this whole thing work and wow as they start unrolling the balloon, it really brings it in to perspective as to how large they are… and I will admit I started to get a little nervous

And then up and away – woohoo – it wasn’t nearly as scary as I imagined and actually was very smooth and quiet as we made a slow ascent and literally just went where the wind blew us. They fly between 800 – 1200 m above the ground and ideally in not too strong winds, for obvious reasons, and yesterday morning was just perfect

Some more of the awesome views

Then all too soon it was time to descend, the landing was very smooth too, just a little rocky, but that was more the rocks we landed on. We were all roped in to help with the dismantling, but were greatly rewarded by champagne and breakfast…  :)

What more could one want on a Sunday morning!