We didn't make it to Middlepos either...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
So it was finally time for my Father and I's first trip, the planning started looooong before, we decided to not camp on the first trip, to minimize luggage etc.

The plan was to ride Friday morning, sleep over at Cederberg Oasis, then Saturday go to Sutherland via middlepos, Ganagga Pas etc. then on Sunday back via Oubergpas.

Excitement was brewing, and it was difficult falling asleep Thursday night..Friday morning quickly came and it was that time.

Ready to roll!
DSC00806Medium.jpg

We fueled up and headed out towards Wellington, looking forward to Bainskloof Pass...just before the pass there was a police roadblock, the pass had been closed for roadworks they told us, so an alternative route had to be found, unfortunately it was a looong straight tar road we had to take.

Next pass we hit was Michell's pas, it's got that fancy 3.8m rock hanging above the road...very cool, it started to heat up and the jacket liners were taken out.
IMG_0029Medium.jpg

After lunch in Ceres we headed towards Price Alfred Hamlet, shew..long name for a town, to buy some boerewors for a braai the next afternoon, after that we hit Op-die-berg, the last bit of tar for the day, fuelled up at the local co-op, and then you got to pay inside, from there the gravel started into the "berg" lovely roads, loooong sweeping bends (perfect for powerslides  >:D ) you can see miles ahead of you
Yes...I know that screen is frankin ugly! But man it works on the long road!
IMG_0030Medium.jpg

We were both impressed with the bikes
IMG_0033Medium.jpg

The Cederberg Oasis is a back packers type thing, very nice place, they serve an honesty bar there, you help yourself in the bar/tuckshop and just write up what you've taken, the next day on checkout you pay...very nice
IMG_0035Medium.jpg

IMG_0036Medium.jpg

The bar area
IMG_0041Medium.jpg

IMG_0042Medium.jpg

Camping on the grass is R35 for a night..good to keep in mind next time you're in the area
IMG_0037Medium.jpg

The little Australian Shepard..careful he bites!
IMG_0039Medium.jpg

Beautiful area
IMG_0045Medium.jpg

IMG_0046Medium.jpg

The house
IMG_0047Medium.jpg

The serve a killer T-bone here...I'd ride all the way there again just for the meat!
IMG_0053Medium.jpg

Of to bed for this dog  :D
IMG_0051Medium.jpg

The next morning we awoke to the smell of bacon...nom nom nom
Packed our stuff and headed down
IMG_0055Medium.jpg

IMG_0050Medium.jpg

We headed to Sanddrif where we arranged fuel to be able to make it to middlepos, the cruising was really slow, good for fuel consumption and your health :D , I'd skiet past now and then to get a photo-op
Straight sandy highways
DSC00817Medium.jpg

The_Dad on the XT
DSC00815Medium.jpg

These houses are all white for a reason...it gets frikkin hot here!
DSC00814Medium.jpg

DSC00810Medium.jpg

Probably the most scenic fuel station you'd ever come across
IMG_0059Medium.jpg

IMG_0058Medium.jpg

Shew, nice bike
IMG_0068Medium.jpg

We headed back to get to the Wuppertal turnoff, I was riding fairly close to my Dad to stay out of the dust, we went up a blind turn and then the inevitable happened....

There it was, a Land Cruiser in the middle of the road, the XT and the Cruiser were heading straight towards each other...

Now I have said this before the trip, I don't mind crashing myself into Hospital(used to it by now  :biggrin: ) but if something were to happen to my Father it would be bad!

It was like time momentarily slowed down..the bakkie driver froze up and didn't swerve out, my Dad put the XT down/dived out of the way..the front wheel grazed his leg..how it didn't go over..I can't tell, I saw the bike going in under the bakkie and knew that was it...

I can honestly say I have never been more frightened in my life...my dad was lying in the left side of the road...everyone had paused for a moment.. After making sure my Dad isn't hurt badly I picked up the bike, it looked bad..disappointment set in..we knew it was over for now..
IMG_0061Medium.jpg

The bike couldn't be ridden further as the handle bar had been wedged in by the bakkie, completely bent up.
You can see the braking lines from the bakkie on the right side
IMG_0063Medium.jpg

Plastic were lying all over the show
IMG_0062Medium.jpg

IMG_0064Medium.jpg

I rushed back to the Sanddrif office, walking in there I could see the Lady behind the desk knew something was up, she gladly let me use the phone, I phoned home to arrange that my Mother come from Cape Town with the bakkie and trailer.. I had to explain clearly what happened first..she doesn't believe me anymore in these situations..I usually phone saying ya, I'm just at the hospital quick, nothing serious..when they are actually about to operate..just to at least try and keep her nerves down :biggrin:

I went back and gave my Dad a bottle of energade, he seemed stable, we moved the bike out of the way and I pillioned him back to the office, and down to go sit by the river
IMG_0065Medium.jpg

It took about 3hours for the bakkie to come, and we loaded the bikes and headed back to Cape Town...

I guess it could have been ALLOT worse, don't want to think about what "could have been"...