Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 accessories Fuel tank etc  (Read 874 times)

Offline DikZol

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
DR650 accessories Fuel tank etc
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »
Just had my first proper ride out the past weekend and realised I need a few things...  Been trawling the internet to check out various suppliers.  Would appreciate any advice on getting the following:
* upsize fuel tank
* bash plate
* lowered footpegs
* windscreen. I would appreciate pics and pointers greatly on this one!
* Am also considering upgrading rear suspension (yes dieting is cheaper!!)

I am living in Dubai, but will be visiting SA in December, so can either mail order or pick up in Cape Town.

Thanx to all who always pitch in!

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR650 accessories Fuel tank etc
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:48:30 am »
Fuel tank only on order. I can get you a Clarke (16l) for R 3200 or an IMS (19l) for R3500. Takes two to three weeks. I do not recommend the Aqualine Safari fuel drum as it's IMHO too big, too ill fitting & cumbersome and waaaaaaay too ugly. I can still get one if you insist. Price S.Q.

Bash plate R 1500. Very nice Le Cap design: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=36224.0. On order within a week.

Lowered footpegs: Raise handlebars. Easier and cheaper. I manufacture risers for R 450 a set. Unique design allows to rise bars from 5mm to 35mm in increments of 5mm. See thread mentioned above. Available off the shelf.

Windscreen: Speak to Topbox.

Rear suspension: Best would be to bring the rear shock with you and get it rebuild with a stiffer spring and revalve of the damper. The OEM part is good quality, not necessary to replace the whole unit unless you want to race (with a DR ??? ) or want knoppetjies to play with ;D
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Griffin

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • SSS (jr. Member)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:52:25 am »
Sorry for the hijack but what upgrades, in order of importance would you recomend for an allmost standard DR650? Initialy I'm going to be commuting, doing gravel day trips and learning to ride off road so the emphasis is on protecting the bike and helping me learn to ride it rather than performance and long range and luggage(that can come later) I'm 185cm tall and weigh 84kgs.

Ganjora

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:28:04 am »
Sorry for the hijack but what upgrades, in order of importance would you recomend for an allmost standard DR650? Initialy I'm going to be commuting, doing gravel day trips and learning to ride off road so the emphasis is on protecting the bike and helping me learn to ride it rather than performance and long range and luggage(that can come later) I'm 185cm tall and weigh 84kgs.

handguards
bash plate

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:40:35 pm »
Tank: Get the IMS-19L OR I saw a guy here in capetown with the 30L safari Tank,damn that thing is nice :drif:(you dont have to fill it up all the way!)

Then,Skidplate: Make your own OR get Lecap's . . .

Screen: I would recomend getting the Kappa KA660 - I have it on my DR and it works nicely,It looks damn sexy and you can remove it in 30sec.

:thumleft:

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »

What to do with a Standard DR650:
1.Remove all unesassary junk,the ugly reflector thingies on the front,clean the tail end .Remove the chain-roller.(you can even remove the unnesasary rear footpegs if it's not used)
2.Get a skidplate
3.Get proper Handguards.

Thats It. :deal:

Ganjora

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »

Screen: I would recomend getting the Kappa KA660 - I have it on my DR and it works nicely,It looks damn sexy and you can remove it in 30sec.

:thumleft:

screens for bikes,  young lad.
looks 640ADVish
and 400 R's cheaper than the local alternative
spec your tint,  etc,  with manuf.
go and wander on the ganjamobile's thread

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
 :bs: