Freestate speciality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
So here's the scene, yesterday I'm on my way to East London from Bloemfontein via some gravel backroads between Dewetsdorp and Rouxville.
Beautiful country, everchanging fast gravel and my mind, my body and the bike have again slowly morphed into a new singular being, just reacting to the dance of the wheels on the surface. I just love it when that happens, it's not often that one is able to just plain stop thinking. No seperaton of mind and body.

Anyway, so I'm bombing along at 140km/h, utterly at peace, and suddenly I'm in the midle of a shit storm. Literally. And at 140km/h it hurts! I bang my head down onto the handlebars to try and get behind the windscreen and as I look through it it just gets covered in yellow goo. Hell of a confusing. It takes me a good 4 seconds to understand wtf is happening to me, before I can figure out how to deal with it.

At the bar at Dewetsdorp the farmers were going on about about the locust swarms and the fact that the government did not have enough poison in stock to deal with it. That's exactly what I rode into. A swarm of locusts, I like to refer to it as a plague of locusts.

After the four second waiting period to try and figure out wtf was happening I was still at 140km/h and then had to get it all slowed down and stopped with almost no visibility through the windscreen and unable to peak over it for fear of getting these pellets in the neck. Scary shit as I did not know where the road was going. I was lucky though and stopped with a neck bulging from adrenalin.

Here's a pic of the little fuckers.

115577220-L.jpg

As you approach they all jump up in a mexican wave of suicide. Check out the bodies.

115577159-L.jpg

115577254-L.jpg

115577282-L.jpg

115577185-L.jpg

I was then treated to 400km riding in the stench of insect guts being fried. This morning I find even my garage stinking to high heavens. Who knew locusts smell like fish?