XR600 - Please help TVB decide!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I need some advice please

I’m 3 weeks back from Gough Island, and was in the market for an adventure bike. Unfortunately I’m not in a position to buy a new bike, still need to find a job etc. Had a lot of unexpected expenses and therefore the budget for a bike way smaller…

So my old buddy has an XR600, 92 model fully road legal, registered etc. Bike is in an excellent condition, 1 mm oversize wiseco piston and rings, new (hotrod) conrod, bearings and new oil pump. He has disconnected the de compression lever a long while ago, he recon it’s not necessary and it starts 2 or tree kicks (he is used to her and she fires up on the firs kick) Long-range 17L IMS tank fitted.

She pulls like a train, in second the front wheel lifts a bit on open throttle, he pops wheelies like mad. (I’m not into wheelies though!)

Question:

1. I’ve been at Honda, parts are still available over the counter according to them, any parts you know that is hard to find?
2. Anything I must be on the lookout for? Sprockets and xring chain still fairly new.
3. She tops out at 140km/h – will it be possible to do long distance cruising on her at 120km/h?
4. Now biggest concern – the oil pump, are they reliable and how often do you need to replace the pump? According to the one oke ate sales they are quite pricey and he sold a number of pumps for these model?
5. 20k a good price for this bike?
6. Will you recommend this bike for frequent trips between Brits and Pta - +_50km oneway?
7. I believe Runner is the XR expert in Pretoria, where is his shop?

My other option is to buy a 2006 KLR, if doo is sorted and in good condition, will this not perhaps be a better bike for distance cruising?

Thanks

Tom