West Side Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Hello everybody,

No, not the Broadway musical! This is my own (short) story, west side of Magaliesburg that is.

Yesterday morning I went on a solo (no dust eating!) trip on some gravel roads of which some were introduced to me in September this year by Wino on a trip he, Blouvark and I undertook in the area.

At exactly 08:00 and 100km away from Pretoria I turned west onto the New Thorndale road, a few kilometres outside of Magaliesburg on the road to Rustenburg (R24). The road is a nice mixture of ups and downs through a bushveld-like area. Some straight line blasts are possible here and there, but there are also sections, like the sharp, corrugated turns that ask for much caution. At this T-junction I stopped a while and I also took time to consult my primitive, red GPS instrument :p

296799.jpg

After some more turns and a 4km tar section on the Magaliesburg - Rustenburg road, I eventually arrived at Boons station, next to the Magaliesburg - Derby tar road (R509). What a run-down place!

296800.jpg

From Boons I crossed the tar road and continued in a southerly direction on the Goedgedacht road. This road runs over open, grassland flats almost all of the way. Here one can really open the taps. I maintained a steady 120km/h in some stretches. This was the last thing I had planned to do, but the smooth road surface just tempted me to drop the gentle cruise mode for a while.

296801.jpg

The road eventually ends where it reaches the Krugersdorp - Ventersdorp tar road (N14), approximately 50km from Krugersdorp. Just before turning onto the tar, I stopped to top-up the air in the tyres again.

296802.jpg

Here is my small, lightweight onboard tyre pump - a bicycle pump which I have modified with a hose / tube valve connection :idea: It requires some elbow grease, but results show after a while!

296803.jpg

On my way home I stopped at the Upper Deck Restaurant in Harties for a beer. As always, the two-wheel community renders some very good support here. This lady is completely "hanne innie hare" over this green 1400 Kawa monster!

296804.jpg

From there it was back to Pretoria. Total distance for the day: 338km.

Groete

Doringboom :wink: