Cape Town-Luanda Drive Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I did not know where to put this, but I wanted to share this with fellow adventurers. End of June 1965 my Dad and four friends left in this car to Luanda Angola. I was about a month and a half old(maybe he left because of me!!) The car was a 1912 Dodge with wooden spoke wheels. Total duration of the trip was 2 and a half months. My father being a teacher had to take 2 months longleave. Nearly got fired when he got back because he was two weeks late. Cape Town to Windhoek took them 4  days. The Suidwester said their average speed CT to Windhoek was 35 m/h. Fuelconsumption 10mls to the gallon.Total distance if planned route were taken is 7000miles.
The last strech from Malmesbury to our farm was done at night by torch. The electrics on the car was shot!!
My father was the cook(not knowing anything about engines or tyres)two guys were tyremen(and they did have a lot of flats) and the two remaining guys the drivers and mechanics.

Just shows you our parents also did crazy things like us!!

Angola1.jpg

Arriving back at night on our farm.
Angola2.jpg

Offloading after two and a half months.
Angola3.jpg

Newspaperclip of the Suidwester in Windhoek.
Angola4.jpg

Newspaperclip in Luanda Angola.