Relaxing Ride to Rooi Els PLUS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
I got off to an unusual start for this ride. When I awoke I noticed that the power was still off. At about 4:30 am the lights went off and were still off. While I was still dressing it began to rain and I got an SMS from Macduff to say that they would be a little late ? also had no power.

The bike was in the garage which has an electric opener but the power was off so there was no pow! I tried to disengage the opening device but still could not open the door so I eventually got hold of my headlamp and a pair of pliers and removed the split pin that holds the actuating arm of the door device and was able to open the door, take the bike out and re-assemble the door opener.

Meanwhile it was raining so I put on my winter jacket and rain brookies and off I went.

Just the other side of Somerset west Lito becrept me from be-after and gestured to me that I was late.
On arrival Macduff, Mango, Lito and Masehare was there with another chap who rides a Varadero, Dave, I think he said.
RooiElsPlus_%281%29.JPG

RooiElsPlus_%282%29.JPG

Was not long and Masehare, who was inappropriately attired left and we went on to Rooi Els, each in his own time. Knowing that Lito wanted to do some peg scraping an Mango wanted to take it slow with the running in of the new KLR.

RooiElsPlus_%283%29.JPG

RooiElsPlus_%284%29.JPG

(Mango tries the Black Beast for size)

After coffee, tea, coke and much chatter I left to do my ride. I went through Kleinmond to Botriver and out on the van der stel pass. At the right turn for Caledon I proceeded and soon passed a dead porcupine.
This road joins the tarred road Villeirsdorp to Caledon and is called the Hawston view road. Towards Villiersdorp on the right I investigated a short gravel road to the quarry.

Before the Theewaterskloof dam I turned off on the gravel road to Vyeboom and then the right turn to the van der stel pass again after seeing a large flock of blue cranes.

At Vyeboom I continued to Grabouw where it looked as if it would rain but not a drop. In Grabouw I met up with a chap on an Africa Twin. He had a feather jauntily stuck into the strap of his goggles. We rode together down Sir Lowry?s pass and through the traffic at Somerset west.
Pics to follow...