Ever dreamed about building an HPN?- Year 1 roundup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airHEAD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Well I’ve more than dreamt about it, I’ve obsessed about it for way too long and now its actually happening! The frame has finally arrived, been powder coated and work has started on the assembly. I am really focused on getting the bike built but I am going to try and tell the story as I go along.
The frame finally arrived from HPN in Germany. This is what the customs inspector was faced with when he opened the box ???

IMG_0262.jpg

You have to look really carefully to see the HPN modifications but for my money you don’t want to be doing R&D on something like this. They have decades of experience and understand how to reinforce these frame to handle the extra stresses of running the long travel suspension.

IMG_0278.jpg

I couldn’t wait to get started but first the frame had to get prepared. I went with the power coating option rather than painting which will hopefully have better durability. This is after all a bike that once it is done I will have to ride forever  ;)

Main frame
IMG_0332.jpg

Modified swing arm (100mm section added), main stand pannier frames and half seat rack. Identify the items and win a prize :D
IMG_0328.jpg

Rear sub frame, rear rack and seriously lengthened side stand
IMG_0329.jpg