Team Red’s Sabie Trip. Rather late than Never!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
We all gathered at Cesco’s in Kelvin JHB at around 11am, there were four bikes on the road and the support vehicle had a KTM 640 on a trailer. Andrew on a  BMW1200GS, Keryn on her 800GS, Matt on the “beast” KTM990Adventurer and me on the BMW650GS.

This was my first trip and with only 300km’s covered the previous week (had not been on a bike for 15years) I was nervous to say the least… ;) Going went well out to Witbank and onto Belfast, but then the rain came, and were we in for a ride! ;D The clouds were looking rather ominous and before Lydenberg the first drops were felt. We stopped to change to rain gear but were sadly ill prepared… Within 2km my crown jewels were soaked in what felt like a puddle of ice water! :biggrin: Not so lekker I tell you. We stopped in Lydenberg for coffee and to dry out. All Matt and I could do when we stopped was burst out laughing at this challenging, uncomfortable ordeal we were in! :imaposer: I would have had it no other way by the way!  :thumleft: Matt, Keryn and Andy pickup sets of yellow rain suits and that done the trick! I continued wet to the bone…  :ricky:

We left Lydenberg and I was about to scare the life out of myself! >:D  I was a little to heavy on the throttle just out of town. There was a patch of road where the water had gathered and I snaked along for what seemed like an eternity. Luckily I tapped off the throttle, out of fear and a quick prayer was offered to keep me in one piece! I survived my little drama (Thanx BMW / Anekee’s)  :biggrin: and Keryn who was riding behind me saw the little episode, rather embarrassing but glad to have been there to learn how not to do it!  :ricky:

It came down in buckets in places and I remember thinking that this was going to be a painful exercise. Later on I realized that the heated grips would add a little comfort but the wind chill kept my hands close to freezing.  :-[ My thumb was numb with the cold!

By the time we approached Long Tom pass the light was fading, the mist rolled in and my visor had misted up. I was now trailing Keryn. As it got dark all I could see was her hazards and tail lights.  :eek:  I was following blindly and if I lost those lights I was a gonna! We were not traveling fast but the conditions made it feel as though we were flying blindly.  >:D Words from Andrew came back to me at one stage and I slowed to a pace which I felt comfortable with.  :ricky: Suddenly Keryn’s lights faded around the corner, now totally blind I slowed. I had lost the group in the mist and darkness... To my relief they came to my rescue. I was then enlightened to the fact that with an open visor one could actually see the road.  :-[  Wow what a relief, my visor had misted up and the rain had trickled on the inside so visibility was down to nearly zero! Thanx for the advice guys.  :biggrin:

Traveling with the visor open was an experience as the rain would tickle your eyes and one has to blink like crazy to keep up! We made it into to Sabie area safely, had another break for supper and a drink to calm the nerves. We had a little way further to go to our camp site, but the rain had cleared and riding slowly one could enjoy the ride. I swear I smelt the road! The forest smells were in the air and I’m sure I smelt earth worms that must have surfaced due to the rain. Well this is something I know I don’t experience in a car (cage) you can’t smell the road! Ok you also smell the diesel fumes…
We found our camp and settles down to a late evening of setting up camp and lighting a fire to warm up and dry our soaked kit. The camp site was huge with soft grass and well organized. Fire blazing we gather round for some drinks. We enjoyed a few Jamey’s before hitting the sack around 02h30. We had no idea of the drama that was about to unfold.  :pot:

Around 04h00 I woke to an anxious scream of Keryn. We had been robbed. Running out the tents we all tried to orientate ourselves with the situation.  O0 I was rudely surprised when opening my tent’s flap. There waiting for a fatal blow was a rather large screwdriver in the ground. A cold chill ran down my spine as I realized how close to death I may have been.  ??? If I had not had those lives saving Jameson’s, which apparently led to a snoring compo between Matt and myself,  :biggrin:  I’d probably woken while been robbed to be stabbed to death by this screwdriver. People be careful!  ;) Check out Twiggy’s RR on our Sabie report for a more detailed drama which followed.

The rest of Saturday was a mission to try and kit out Keryn who had her leathers stolen. As a group we decided to make the most of the situation, which I’m rather glad we did. As it turned out to be a excellent day, we chilled around a braai that evening a Matt our resident genius provided wisdom in moving hot coals to the braai! We appreciate you mate!  :thumleft:

The next morning we tucked in a brekky and left for Graskop, but the weather was not playing along so viz was poor, but the ride was lekker. I enjoyed the trip from Graskop to Pilgrim’s rest, that windy white road was a treat, then on to Robber’s pass. Lekker.  :thumleft: The pace was picking up and the GS impressed me hitting 160 very easily! With the huge amount of kit I had onboard.  :-[

We came toward  JHB with serious side winds. ( I had seen pics of bikes leaning into the wind and wondered how that must feel. Now I know what it’s like, not to bad actually.)  :ricky: There was one hell of a storm hanging over JHB and again we got wet, hail and all. We gathered at the Sasol opposite Alex on Malboro to have a last smoke, ending an eventful but awesome first ride for me.

Thanx Team Red, for the patience, guidance and friendship you all shared with me this weekend. "I have got the bike and a life Andy." The biking world is something I will enjoy till I old and grey!  :ricky:

While reading  Nardus’s RR “MAYBE NO SHOES, BUT A BIKE AND THE WHOLE OF AFRICA !!” I realized how one can make the most of what one has and still enjoy it a moerse lot!