My ticket was up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
So it was my turn to be taken out. This morning at 7, stopped at a pedestrian crossing (she was already halfway through the crossing.) So she smiled and waved thanks and the next minute her eyes grew the size of saucers.

So I check my mirror and all I see is a girl's face with a cellphone attached to her ear. A split second later my bike got driven out from under me, and I did a very ungraceful half backflip-half twist and came down hard on my bum.

So I jumped up to check the bike but my legs just gave under me with a flash of pain shooting up my lower back. A theatre nurse stopped at the scene and instructed me to just lie still. I readily obliged.

I must say that a number of people stopped to assist and restored my faith in humanity in that instant. One guy immediately phoned my brother and these people just immediately sorted out my laptop, backup and tools that were strewn all over the road by then.

Not too long afterwards the fire-brigade pitched up, removed my helmet and strapped me to a plank. At this stage I was worried as the pain in my back was killing me. But I could move my fingers and toes so that was good. Netcare911 arrived shortly afterwards and the first thing I told them was "I'm with Discovery, fully comprehensive, thank you."

Got a ride in an ambulance, where the casualty staff first checked my neck, which was OK. That saved my jacket otherwise they would have had to cut it. Took x-rays of my back, weren't happy about something, so they did a CT scan, got the OK - all I have is severe bruising and spasms of the lower back.

My bike was towed by Road-side-assist, so I already got a call from my insurance that they organised on my behalf. Apparently the bike is OKish, but the assessor will have to go do his thing at some time.

I tried to take a nap, but I can't sit, stand or lie down - quite a dilemma. So I decided to give you all the good news.