Well That Sucked - Gauteng Toy Run from Midrand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
First of all let me say that I know it's for a good cause but as far as I'm concerned the Gauteng Toy Run from Midrand really sucked. This was my fourth one and what I remember from the previous ones that started in Pretoria was the massive amount of bikes at the start. I would be kilometers away from the start and already there would be many bikes on the road heading towards the meeting point. What did I see this time? Maybe 5 bikes on the highway traveling in the same direction as me and I even missed the start point because I was the only bike on Kruger road and I drove right past the church because I expected to see hordes of bikes turning into the church. The amount of bikes at the church was very depressing, at first I though I had stumbled onto one of Blazes' rides by mistake. I'm no good at estimating numbers but there couldn't have been more that 300 bikes at the starting point. The only plus was at least I managed to hook up with GundaGunda and Roux.

One of most impressive sights for me with the previous Toy Runs was the highway filled with bikes and just as you thought you had seen it all another mass of bikes joined up with your group from one of the other starting points doubling the number of bikes. Also, there would be spectators on bridges and the whole ride had, to me, a carnival like atmosphere.

We left the starting point at 09:00 and by 09:40 we were at Nasrec, previous years I would stop at the side of the road for at least 30 minutes and probably more like an hour and just watch a continious stream of bikes.

Maybe the ride to the Carousel drew a bigger crowd but as far as I'm concerned this year the ride was a massive letdown.