Tunisia - Algeria - Morocco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalsam

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Mid-life crisis, selfish, irresponsible, dementia...these are just a few of the reactions I received from family and others when I tried to discuss my future plan regarding a bike trip.  For over 30 years my involvement with motorcycling has incorporated the national MX circuit, production bike racing, speedway, enduros and trials.  However, touring/adventure riding was never part of my agenda until a year ago after watching those two movie stars doing their thing ... round & down.  It was at this time that I got the GS and have done a few trips around SA (tar and dirt). 

Having spent many hours perusing the various ride reports on the forum, the fire within is being fueled, and the time has come to put ideas and thoughts into action.  I have the utmost respect for the many who have ventured across our Northern borders into Central Africa and beyond, but the "woesie" in me draws me away from wanting to tackle the hardships and dangers that have been experienced by others on these routes.  So ...

My idea is to fly (self & bike) to one of the above (see subject), and spend a few weeks riding through these three countries, and then flying home.  I've read quite a few reports on other forums pertaining to travelling through Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, and from what I've read, it sounds pretty awesome.

What I certainly don't want to do is plan to death.  Obviously it's important to have travel documents etc in order, but apart from these essentials, I would prefer to head out from the airport of entry (which ever country it is), and ride with no particular pre-planned destination.  I would rely on advice from locals, travel bureaux, other travellers etc.

Today I enquired about flights and am awaiting response from various agencies.  What I do know at this stage is that there are no direct flights from SA to North Africa, so connecting flights may prove to be a slight logistical barnicle.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think ... please don't agree with my family  ;D  Have any WD's been through these countries, or does anyone have advice re my plan?