Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2007  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Leo

Dakar 2007
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 06:57:11 pm »
Sorry Fun it was a typo. I actually meant "the TV" as opposed to "th eTv".

Saw the Budai Deserty raceon DSTV the other evening. Was a nice appetizer  :wink:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Dakar 2007
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:36 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
Sorry Fun it was a typo. I actually meant "the TV" as opposed to "th eTv".

Saw the Budai Deserty raceon DSTV the other evening. Was a nice appetizer  :wink:

I watched that as well, looked awesome and I can't wait for the Dakar to start on the 6th. I just wish they showed more than just the little bit of highlights every night....
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:27:19 pm »
I'd like to see more of the privateers, that is the real race for me to see if man and machine can make it to the finish line  8)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Leo

Dakar 2007
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 12:09:21 am »
Me too. Those guys are having a real struggle.

Supersport showed some inserts of those guys, but not alot.

Last year or the year before they showed this father & son combo, apparently the father had run the sun over one night when he was totally exhausted  :roll:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 12:14:41 am »
Yip and remember the guy who's XR caught fire  :shock:  He traced a leaking fuel tank and plugged it with some soap. When asked what he will do if it leaks again and catches fire he said "I'll just jump off"  :lol: You often see the guys in tears when they realise their race is over, I think it must be quite an experience. On the one hand it's shear torture on your body but it's something you REALLY want to finish and always end up coming back for more.
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

Dakar 2007
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 07:46:06 am »
I like Toms story from last year, as mentioned.

What the trip is really like for those that struggle.
I'd love to hear the stories of the guys who slept out overnight in the roof too.
The battlers.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Dakar 2007
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 07:48:37 am »
I agree , the ones with sponsers get almost a new bike every night while they sleep. the real deal men and women have to do that themselfs
 :roll:  :D

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Dakar 2007
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 05:20:50 pm »
My friend Chris Barrerie Varju is on the 2007 listing.
Chris's second Dakar attempt.
Go Chris :!:

Fellow Aussie Simon Pavey is not on the list that I can see.
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Jaqhama

Dakar 2007
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 05:52:39 pm »
A small appertiser for you guys.

&NR

Enjoy.

Offline chrisB

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dakar 2007
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:10 pm »
I saw in the Beeld's Dakar section that this year it is safety first for every KTM factory rider who will all wear the new neck brace protection developed for KTM by South African doctor Chris Leatt and already tested in other international rallies by top KTM riders, hopefully this will help cut down on fatal accidents like Andy this year also some interesting facts is that 40% of participants is between ages 18 - 39 thus a majority of older participants. They say that interest in the rally is picking up according to entries this year (may be Mrs Boorman has some thing to do with this).

Of the 250 motorcycles competing in 2007, 128 riders will be on the hallmark orange machines made in Austria (KTM).

KTM Factory Team riders for Dakar 2007:

Gauloises KTM

Cyril Despres

Isidre Esteve

David Casteu

Frans Verhoeven

Repsol KTM

Marc Coma

Giovanni Sala

Jordi Viladoms

Red Bull KTM

Chris Blais
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline Leo

Dakar 2007
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 01:20:49 am »
Me thinks it's very sad that BMW is not enterring an official factory team!

Offline tsiklonaut

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • ‹hel Teljel ‹mber Planeedi
No point to enter, really.
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 02:46:36 am »
Quote from: "Leo"
Me thinks it's very sad that BMW is not enterring an official factory team!

No other make factory enters as a proffessional competitioner. It's a mono-KTM event since 2003. Read my earlier post why.

It's now so redicilous, that Yamaha decided to make it a money-earning event, puting number of "factory" bikes onto stage and offering "everyday riders" a nice package to enter the "dream-come-true" Dakar race - they get you decent rallye bike, organize all the things till the bike's tech support etc. All you need to do is to pay.

If they don't change the race track fundamentally (i.e. shift the race path into Libya, Algeria, or Dakar-Cairo etc), take off the redicolous cc- and speed limitations, STOP doing ultra-long stages that cost riders lives - then I don't see a reason why japanese, BMW et.al should come back into the race as proffessional teams. Also the probability of losing a rider for the jap teams is a strictly NO answer and they are scared shitless after the death of Meoni, Caldecott et al.
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline koplamp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Dakar 2007
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 09:46:01 pm »
Check this out. It's a long story but it put together the criticism against the Dakar rally. I got it on Wikipedia.

Makes for an interesting read is all I can add.

==Criticism==
The race has been subject to criticism from several sources, generally focusing on the race's impact on the inhabitants of the countries through which it passes. The rally was criticised for crossing through the disputed, non-decolonization|decolonized territory of Western Sahara, without consulting the Polisario Front, which is considered representative of the Sahrawi people. After the race officials began asking for formal permission from the Polisario from 2000 onwards, this has not been an issue.

After the 1988 race, when three Africans were killed in collisions with vehicles involved in the race, Panafrican News Agency|PANA, a Dakar-based news agency, wrote that the deaths were "insignificant for the race's organizers". The Vatican City|Vatican newspaper ''L'Osservatore Romano'' called the race a "vulgar display of power and wealth in places where men continue to die from hunger and thirst."<ref>Brooke, James (1988). Dangerous Paris-Dakar race is endangered. ''The New York Times'', March 13, p8.</ref> During a 2002 protest at the race's start in Arras, France, a The Greens (France)|Green Party of France statement described the race as "colonialism that needs to be eradicated".<ref>Paterne, Elodie (2001). Protests overshadow start of Paris-Dakar race. ''Agence France-Presse''. December 28.</ref>

Some local residents along the race's course have said they see limited benefits from the race; that race participants spend little money on the goods and services local residents can offer. The racers produce substantial amounts of dust along the course, and are blamed for hitting and killing livestock, in addition to occasionally injuring or killing people.<ref>Doggett, Gina (2004) Paris-Dakar rally brings "little but dust", Senegalese villagers say. ''Agence France-Presse''. January 18.</ref>

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 09:47:25 pm »
The link will take you to the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakar_Rally

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 12:04:46 am »
The age old story of bikes and cars destroying everything in their path .... please ! Do they really mean that the barren expanse of the Sahara desert and other inhabitless areas (sp) are destroyed by an event that  happens once a year ? Remember the villages and towns are subject to strict marshalling no one can help if livestock are allowed to walk free (like they do all over Africa)I mean for goodness sake they only pass a certain section once and not even the same stretches every year. By the looks of things alot of charity work is done by the Dakar event. If the African countries are so set against it why don't they just ban the race from their land alltogether ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Dakar 2007
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 07:44:39 am »
I agree with DD.
If the Dakar race was held in Europe or America, the cities and towns it passed through would have made a fortune: selling food and drinks, hospitality, etc etc.
Instead, in Africa, you get the true African mentality sticking its head out in the sense that they just WANT everything, but are not willing to put in any effort to get it.
That is why you get protests. Instead of being pro-active and thus capitalising on the masses of wealth that accompanies the Dakar, they just stick out their hands annd say: give me, give me.

Its true that the contrast in wealth between the competitors and inhabitants is huge, but is that really a reason to cancel the Dakar?
In that case they should also cancel the 2010 Soccer WC, because poverty is rife in SA as well.
How many of the 45million South African can afford a 2010 match ticket?

I dont buy all the criticism on the Dakar.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 10:01:12 am »
My favourite "they create dust", for fark sakes they live in the middle of a dusty desert ! What are they afraid of getting dust on their Gomma Gomma sofa's ? Their is a good reason the Toureg and other tribes wear protective clothing, it's because they deal with dust everyday of their lives !
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 10:25:50 pm »
Hey Digital D, I just posted that there for interest sake. I mean, sure there are always two sides to a coin and you can decide which to bet on.  I just thought that it is interesting to look at other peoples opinions also. Don't get me wrong.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreaminí ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 11:09:22 pm »
Quote from: "koplamp"
Hey Digital D, I just posted that there for interest sake. I mean, sure there are always two sides to a coin and you can decide which to bet on.  I just thought that it is interesting to look at other peoples opinions also. Don't get me wrong.

I know was just commenting on the article  :wink:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Jaqhama

Dakar 2007
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 08:41:34 am »
The Dakar is a private organisation, if they have permission from the Governments of the countries they pass thru to race in those areas then they are doing nothing wrong.

They are not obliged to contribute anything to the local populations, though I daresay they do.

I'm sure there seems to be a huge "image" problem between the racers and the local inhabitants, but thats up to the elected politicians of France and the African countries to sort out, not a private race organisation.

Wikipedia can be written and edited by anyone also...never use it for 100% factual information, because it is not an acreddited source of information like an encyclopedia or an official record book.

I just re-wrote the wikipedia info on Gaston Rahier in correct english.
I did not even have to register or sign in to do so. :roll:

I'm not saying Wiki is wrong about the Dakar info contained on the site, I'm just saying to be very wary of anything written on Wiki at all.