Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2007  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Grootseun

Dakar 2007
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »
A couple of interresting things i saw on the dakar highlights:
1) Big ass thunderstorm on the way to the liason causing radiators clogged in mud
2) Some KTM Rider with a blue BMW Rallye2 suit
3) Some dude on the yammie (i think)arrived at liason with no tire on his rim!! (rear) he arrived at the liason at quite a speed. This race is really something

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Dakar 2007
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2007, 10:17:50 pm »
I saw that too, how's that dude riding without a farking back tyre? :D  :D Probably quicker than Leo with his tyres..... :lol:  :lol:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Grootseun

Dakar 2007
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2007, 10:24:07 pm »
It was a seriously fas stage, unfknblvble how fas those dudes ride on the sand....eendag as ek groot is....

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Dakar 2007
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2007, 10:40:09 pm »
And don't forget the Scottish toppie of 65 competing. That Hummer was also hauling !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Dakar 2007
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2007, 07:49:24 am »
Chris Varju has moved up to 78 postion. :D
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2007, 08:02:33 am »
As I was lying flat on my back in front of the telly just trying to stay awake I suddenly saw this stitched on a shoulder.

I pulled myself together and took a second look. Yes, it is true. There are BMW bikes in the Dakar?

Was I dreaming?

Offline Grootseun

Dakar 2007
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2007, 08:21:15 am »
Kopklamp, i think it was a privateer, he was on a KTM i think, with a Rallye 2 Suit, tht'a why the badge was stitched on his shoulder.

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2007, 08:37:32 am »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
Kopklamp, i think it was a privateer, he was on a KTM i think, with a Rallye 2 Suit, tht'a why the badge was stitched on his shoulder.

Oh. Thanks. Had a look at the list of starters just now - definately no BMW's there.

What's the issues with the Pope all of a sudden. Pissed-off coz he can't go?

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Dakar 2007
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2007, 08:56:39 am »
If the Pope's so worried about the poor unfortunates who live in the African countries that the rallye passes thru, then he won't mind selling off the billions upon billions of collected art treasures and historical relics housed within the Vatican and jumping in his pope-mobile and rushing post haste down to Africa with his sychophants and minions and helping the underprivelliged afflicted himself will he?
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2007, 08:59:04 am »
Quote from: "Jaqhama"
If the Pope's so worried about the poor unfortunates who live in the African countries that the rallye passes thru, then he won't mind selling off the billions upon billions of collected art treasures and historical relics housed within the Vatican and jumping in his pope-mobile and rushing post haste down to Africa with his sychophants and minions and helping the underprivelliged afflicted himself will he?

It went something like the Dakar leaves behind it a trial of blood and carnage. Something like that in the paper.

shark_za

Dakar 2007
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2007, 08:59:48 am »
At least let the people start using condoms.
Stop aids and overpopulation.

Offline chrisB

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dakar 2007
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2007, 09:04:59 am »
Quote from: "koplamp"
As I was lying flat on my back in front of the telly just trying to stay awake I suddenly saw this stitched on a shoulder.

I pulled myself together and took a second look. Yes, it is true. There are BMW bikes in the Dakar?

Was I dreaming?

I saw it as well :shock: Got exited and then remebered NO BMW this year :oops:
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
Dakar 2007
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2007, 10:00:11 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Still in the race,
On bikes we have Tom, Hein Joubert and Oz Bestel.
Quads still have Johan Steenkamp.

And of course Geniel doing well in the VW.
Navigator Pitchford too.

Yo Sharky,
Woke up late on this thread, Johan Steenkamp withdrew a day before Cornel De Villiers engine fails.  That leaves no SA guys on quats and only the bike still there.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Leo

Dakar 2007
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2007, 11:09:29 am »
Giniel makes me proud to be South African  :wink:

Pity the bike race seems to be a bit of a one horse race  :oops:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
Dakar 2007
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:59 pm »
Yes, now our only hope for a win is also gone.....  Giniel de Villiers' VW caught fire - out of the race!  What a sad sight to see.

Sorry man!
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:17 pm »
Quote from: "Uiltjie"
Yes, now our only hope for a win is also gone.....  Giniel de Villiers' VW caught fire - out of the race!  What a sad sight to see.

Sorry man!

Ag tjasssas my bra. There it goes! I felt so proud when we had the opportunity.

Maybe we should enter Lito into the 2008 Dakar. At least he'll be able to ride a bike again...for a change.  :wink:

Offline Katoom

Dakar
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2007, 02:46:54 pm »
Lampies
Its true. I saw it with my own eyes (not those of uiltjie) Guy wearing BMW jacket riding a KTM 640. Sorry bro. must hurt.
Life's too short.

Offline Gerry

• Bike: Suzuki DR350
Dakar
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2007, 04:59:44 pm »
Hello Chaps ,

Firstly , sad condolences to Elmers family . I have known this guy since he was just out of school , he always dreamed of this race , and now its been his last dream . I am gutted by it , my young friend !
Oh well , that is the risks one takes for glory .

BMWs , every one is moaning about no BMs in the race . There are a couple of fundamental reasons , as pointed out in the book by the ginger whinger , Charley . The side covers have to be remade , as clutches cant be changed without losing all the coolant , a BIG problem for desert races .

The second problem is the weight of the bikes , with fuel etc , they weigh in like a Harley Fergusson out there in the sand .
BM factory is not committed to produce alternate bits and pieces , like the KTM guys do .

So , if you have a spare half million rands or you can relieve some one of that much , best to hire a bike for your first outing at any rate .

Tom Classen and most of the SA guys do that , it means there is some poor dude waiting to help you fix your bike every night , and generally assist .

Riding the dakar , according to my good friends that have ridden it , is not as hard as us regular SA enduro riders beleive , its the mental thing you have to have . Ride for 18 hours , slogging away , picking up your bike a hundred times , kick starting it , riding a few metres , getting off , dragging the front wheel out of sand starting again and so on . Get to the overnight , service the bike , feed , and then go out without more than maybe 2 hours kip to do it again , for 2 weeks !

That is the hard part , not the actual riding .

Alfie told me that that is what breaks most of the riders , they dont have the mental ability to suffer !

Talk to the guys that have worked on Dakar as mechanics , they'll tell you worse stories of hardship , thats where you learn to sleep for 1 hour a day on the transfer plane , the rest of the time you are running around , getting wheels and tyres , getting the riders trunks from their transport , putting up the riders tents , preparing for your rider , but having to drop all , so you can help another mackie , untill your guy comes in , and then hopefully one of the other mackies will help you . Tyres , the michelin trucks work 24 hours , they tell you to be back to collect your wheels at 2:15 am you better be there , coz otherwise some one else will have taken them and your rider than has a problem !!!!

Its a fantastic experience if you have the cash , but its not a walk in the park .

Tom is doing good so far , Oz is a great rider , lots of vasbyt , lets just hope that lady luck smiles on them both .

Have fun out there in the sun , from a damp cold UK !!
Current bike - BMW R1100S   an old man's sport bike

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,
When in trouble hit the throttle ! !

Offline koplamp

Dakar 2007
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2007, 05:05:24 pm »
Gerry, you seem to be well informed. Thanks.

I wonder how much money we need to collect to enter Lito in 2008. Perhaps we should enter Katoom. He comes standard with bike attached.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Dakar 2007
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2007, 05:27:16 pm »
Quote from: "koplamp"
Gerry, you seem to be well informed. Thanks.

I wonder how much money we need to collect to enter Lito in 2008. Perhaps we should enter Katoom. He comes standard with bike attached.

Koplamp, my bru, I would give my right ball to do the Dakar....... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  I would even go buy a 640 at Proaction tomorrow (on my life), if I could be entered into that race for next year.

:cry:  :cry: