Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2007  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Re: Dakar
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2007, 04:02:13 pm »
Quote from: "Gerry"
I Know  !

There are so many people in the world , that'll happily take 10 minutes to tell you why they cant do a 1 minute job !

As they say , that is human nature .

That is why you get so many followers and so few leaders .
People are not willing to be the path finder , just in case its a stuff up , and they are laughed at or shamed in some way .

I've had my nose flattened and my teeth broken , but it has'nt taught me a lesson yet !

My motto is " what if I'd never tried ? "  

I get so much pleasure at showing others what I've discovered ......

Meantime , I continue the quest undaunted by human nature !

I thought it might have at least encouraged you to take up some form of self-defence training or boxing? :D
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Dakar 2007
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:52 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Quote from: "Jaqhama"
Me and my mate Chris is now doing postion 69.

Fixed!!

I knew someone would eventually pick up on the number. :roll:  :P
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Go Oz
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2007, 04:19:33 pm »
The Dakar is moving towards the end now, and only the finest (with a little luck in some cases) are left in the race.

Follow our Durban friend, Oz Bestel.  #220.  When I last looked he was about halfway through the special and going strong.  You're the man Oz!!  8)   Oz went out there for a finisher badge - and things seem to be working out.  GO!!!!!!!!

And Tom Classen # 146 of course, I don't know him personally, but he is the only other SA biker left - and in an amazingly good 21st overall position.  Read some articles about him - RESPECT....  Go manne!  :shock:

And the guys who had to withdraw due to mechanical, physical or whatever hassles - sad that you have to stand back after all the effort.  Next year!....  :?
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Dakar 2007
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2007, 04:25:19 pm »
Tom is the man... damn! Go Oz!

Flipping heck, we have some hero's man

Great respect - well done for your mate Jaq 8)

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Dakar 2007
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2007, 05:55:44 pm »
did u guy's check the ladies last night on the dakar update? One mentioned that she lost (torn of or something) all but one fingernail her hands all taped up but she keeps on going! :shock:  RESPECT ! Give a new meaning to "pretty but tough"  :notworthy:
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Kev

Dakar 2007
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2007, 06:00:27 pm »
Annie Seel I think. She is tough. And Ludovine Puy... quite a cutey me thinks.  :P

Offline Gerry

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR350
Dakar
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2007, 07:27:20 pm »
Tom Classen a south african plumber came 4th on todays special .  In his interview he says if he ever wins a stage he'll dedicate it to Elmer . How nice .

Any one who knows Tom will know how fit and strong he is , and what a sacrifice he and his family have made to get there .

I just hope all goes well for the 2 of them for the rest of the event .

Dont forget the 2 SA guys in cars , Ralph Pitchford , the Beta dealer in SA is currently in 5th and Gineal , despite being a whole day behind is 12th !

We breed talent in SA !!

All the best to all these guys , they deserve it .
Current bike - BMW R1100S   an old man's sport bike

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,
When in trouble hit the throttle ! !

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Dakar 2007
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2007, 07:48:54 pm »
Interview with Oz today:

To the question ?is it the most difficult event you ever participated in??, Oz Bestel takes a long time reflecting before answering: ?probably, because it?s so long??. It has to be said that the strong South-African is used to physical effort and challenges. Having participated in triathlons and canoe raids, Oz knows the true meaning of pain.

The businessman discovered raids pretty late, just a few years ago, on TV. After deciding to take on the big challenge, Oz went to see his friend from Durban, Alfie Cox, a reference on the Dakar. This was an opportunity to hear the precious advise of the biker who finished 3rd of the rally in 1999 and 2005 and ? more importantly ? o test for the first time driving on a KTM 660.

His beautiful bike, which had just come out of its wrapping before the rally, had it all on the trails of Morocco, Mauritania and even Portugal. ?I started by hitting a tree in the very first special stage but I kept going. On the Tan Tan stage, I had to take a dive to avoid a car rushing at me but it nevertheless drove on the front of my bike. The navigation instruments are pretty damaged.? And when it?s not a car, it?s a biker who almost broke Oz?s dream to get to Dakar. ?I was driving at night on my way to Nema and in camel grass I collided with my friend Mike Hughes?. By a strange irony of fate, Mike is the English biker Oz spends long hours with during the special stages.

The famous spirit of the Dakar, mainly between bikers, helped the South-African rookie well. ?On the way to Atar, Gauthier de Hautecloque, who is often ? as I am ? at the end of the pack, showed me how to navigate. And I gave him a hand in the dunes where he?s less good. I also drive with Philippe Tonin quite often. He doesn?t speak English and I speak even less French but we talk in sign language.?

136th out of 141 bikers still in the race, Oz Bestel is proud of what he has accomplished so far and particularly of these longest nights finishing in the African darkness. ?I accepted the fact of having to drive at night and nothing can ever make me quit!?
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Gerry

• Pack Dog
Dakar
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2007, 08:56:46 am »
Oz's comments makes one proud to be a south african !

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Dakar
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2007, 09:07:01 am »
Quote from: "Gerry"
Oz's comments makes one proud to be a south african !

Sorry to Hijack,
But how are you doing with the storms?

Welsh  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Gerry

• Pack Dog
Dakar
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2007, 11:37:04 am »
We had a bit of strong winds yesterday in Hereford and Gloucester , but not too much rain .

Today is a fantastic day , I was out for a walk in Tee shirt , denims and takkies .

No wind , sunny skies .

But it looks like some of UK was really clubbed hard , also power down , roads still blocked with trucks trying to get onto ferrys etc .

Lots of rail services in the south , east and north still staggering along trying to get up to speed .

But fortunately all is good in our neck of the woods .

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,

Kev

Dakar 2007
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2007, 11:42:25 am »
We had crazy winds yesterday... 140km/ where I was, and it was gusting at over 200km/h. Germany got hit VERY hard too. All the trains were not running. Big mess in the weather systems here in Europe at the moment.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • BANNED TROLL
Dakar 2007
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2007, 03:55:31 pm »
thats insane Kevin.... damn.

Global warming - the day after tomorrow - and all that stuff, is fast becoming a reality no?

Back on track tho- I am so proud of Oz- I have deep respect for him and he sounds like a good bloke too!  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Kev

Dakar 2007
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2007, 04:03:23 pm »
Coma is out!!!  :shock:

11:38 - bike
1 - It?s all over for Coma...
No. 1, MARC COMA - KTM, SUPER PRODUCTION
Having lost his direction after 34 km of the day?s special stage, and whilst he was following a track parallel to the ideal route, leader of the general rankings Spaniard Marc Coma, has crashed after 57 km of the special stage and has been taken back to the bivouac by helicopter.

12:59
1 - News about Coma
No. 1, MARC COMA - KTM, SUPER PRODUCTION
Following a crash after 57 km of the day?s special stage, Spanish rider Marc Coma is suffering from a head injury. However, the Spaniard did not lose consciousness and was able to speak with Team Manager Jordi Arcarons, before being transported to Dakar to undergo further examinations.

Kev

My heroin
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2007, 04:16:46 pm »
Anne-Charlotte Tilliette. Big respect to this girl.

Once she was a small girl, later a teenager and now a young woman. But above all Anne-Charlotte Tilliette has always been a biker. While the other girls were playing with dolls and at tea parties, her eyes were already shining looking at the pictures of the Dakar, a race in which her father G√?¬©rard participated four times in the eighties. Logically, Anne-Charlotte quickly abandoned her bicycle and her training wheels for small motorcycles. She was fourteen years old when, with her father on a bike and her mother in a 4x4, she took part in her first rally raids in the Moroccan desert.

For this child of Enduro races, addicted to motorbikes and to the desert, the ultimate challenge is obvious. But to have a go on the Dakar, she first had to convince her father to come and guide her in the dunes: ?If I had not insisted, my father would certainly not have raced the Dakar once again, but I could not imagine starting without him. His presence reassures me.?

At the end, it did not take her too long to persuade her father. Twenty-year-old Anne-Charlotte will be the youngest competitor on the Rally, in the most physically challenging category, and without any assistance! But strength and determination do not necessarily equal age. This apprentice?s great composure inspires confidence: ?I understand people?s reactions. I am a woman, and this is a disadvantage on a bike because this sport is very demanding, particularly in the sand. Moreover, my father has decided we would not bring any electric-motor starter. But everyday I practice a lot to improve my endurance: I ride a bicycle, I jog and a do some weight-lifting because the bikes are very heavy. Regarding the bike, we?ve already been in Morocco this year to test it ourselves. We made a six-day trial during which we hardly slept and rode 700 km daily. We did it the hard way.?

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Dakar 2007
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2007, 04:33:53 pm »
Respect!

What is it with French women? Why do they all have to be so damned beautiful! Thankfully they're not as clever as South African women or us males would be kept as mere sex objects and mechanics

sorry...is this a hijack?

Kev

Dakar 2007
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:12 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
What is it with French women? Why do they all have to be so damned beautiful!

Another Dakar girly: Ludivine Puy

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • BANNED TROLL
Dakar 2007
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2007, 05:21:49 pm »
Hear hear! Lawd, I love these French wimmin - good lookin and capable!

Friggin heck - note to self: go to the paris dakar race and go check the babes! screw camps bay  :lol:

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • BANNED TROLL
Dakar 2007
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2007, 05:23:53 pm »
Shoot! Marc Coma - what a freken legend  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Gerry

• Pack Dog
Dakar
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2007, 06:24:56 pm »
Coma hit a lurking tree stump that catapulted him into a tree , he was groggy , then lost conciousness .  :(  Medics have sent him to Dakar hospital .  :(

They say he did'nt know what happened , same with Istre he also did'nt know what happened . When I did my Lesotho dismount , I too was'nt sure what happened or where I was , still have no recollection of the crash . I remember lying on the ground , knowing my bloody colar bone was broken again though !!!

Tom seems to have got a penalty for not waiting the full 15 minutes at the fuel stop ,  :oops:  oh what a silly mistake !!!! :oops:

I see he won his class today , despite the penalty that dropped him to 6th on stage , instead of 2nd.

Oz is still thundering along slow and steady , good for him !  :lol:  Tomorrow another critical day , last day , although timed is really just a cruise , no one wants to toss it on the last day !

Ride Steady ,
Look ahead ,