Honda Offroad Adventure Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Luck was on my side - I won an introductory training day with Honda at Gerotek. Those fortunate enough to buy a new Honda, receive this complimentary with the bike. Makes sense to ensure customers, specially first time buyers, get some instruction. BMW run a similar program.

Anyone starting to ride a bike needs plenty of assistance. This would be just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

A presentation covered the basics. Not really what we were there for. Soon  we kitted up and started playing on bikes.

One of the first exercises was to drop our bikes onto the ground. Once that was over with, and we could crash with less concern! Well, we had to know how to pick up a bike if we did manage to drop it.

A demonstration of the need to relax while riding was done. If one is tense and the bike makes a sudden movement, this is directly transferred to the rider. If one is relaxed and lets the bike react with more freedom, the unexpected does not get directly transferred to the rider. Makes for a safer and more pleasant ride.

We split into three groups. I joined the group willing to ride with one hand only. No takers for a group riding with no hands. They had a new riders’ group and a group for people happy riding with both hands.

We followed Johan around doing a Simple Simon Says exercise. Eventually stood on the bike’s pegs with the opposite leg. Most strange to have to lean the bike over to keep it going straight. Some people thought they would try doing some exploration on their own at this point.

Brakes then came into the equation. What fun to skid with the back wheel locked. Next we had to control the front brake and lastly both. I had to be repeatedly reminded to move my weight backwards. Helps if one does not want to end up over the front of the bars.

We had to walk our bikes using the clutch to keep the bike from stalling. More difficult than I had imagined. I blamed a low engine idla speed for my stalls.

We did some cone work.  At first they were widely spaced which made things relatively easy. Things then got nasty. Johan made them rather narrow. Struggled not to mow them down or go on an unintentional detour. Practiced this for a while. We also had to do a tight circle and try to stop the bike without falling over. Took a serious shift of weight to counterbalance the bike. Surprisingly difficult. 

One of the more entertaining activities was a slow race. My feet ended up on the ground way too soon. A second round was better.

Lunch arrived way too soon. A chance to rest and enjoy the good company. Unfortunately, in no time we had to be back on our bikes. Did one or two more exercises and then left for a little ride.

Did some steep descents and climbs and more importantly,  how to recover from a stall on a slope. One has to edge the bike back using the clutch as a brake. Then turn the steering bars from side to side so the front of the bike slides downhill. Once you can set off, you start  in a straight direction and only then try to change course. A little fall may otherwise result.

The last bit of entertainment for the day was a ride in a huge sand pit. Covered by a roof to keep it dry. What fun. Seem to be getting better at that. Could ride from side to side relatively easily. May have gone a little faster than Johan would have liked. Difficult not to give gas. Should have more control.

Only wanted to learn one new thing. Learned so many new things I lost count. A day well spent. Comes recommended. One can never know enough. Thanks to Honda and especially Johan.

Pictures:
Honda322.jpg

Honda334.jpg

Honda339.jpg

Honda346.jpg

Honda357.jpg

Honda358.jpg

Honda360.jpg

Honda365.jpg

Honda377.jpg

Honda379.jpg