Drinking and Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kev

I have been wanting to start this thread for some time... I think now may be as good as any.

Drinking and riding.

I have a very strict no drinking and riding for myself. Not a drop. I'll have a beer or two or a some afterwards, but never ever during a ride. This includes having a glass of wine during lunch. To me, the risks are just not worth it.

I doubt 1 small glass of wine will make much of a difference to my reaction time, but I will not take that chance. I want to be able to think and react as quick as possible.

And if I ever was in an accident, I do not want to give anyone the chance to say it may have beem my fault because I had been drinking. If it was a 50/50 case of who's fault it was, and you have had a beer or two, it will become your fault. Lawyers are clever buggers. Insurance might use it as an excuse to wangle their way out of not settling your claim. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Imaginge the worst case scenario: That 1 beer you had slows your reaction time by half a second... it might be that half second you need to save your own life from ending. Would you take a chance with that? Don't kid yourself, alcohol does efffect you. Even one or 2 drinks will.

Unfortunately, the drinking culture of where it is "manly" to drink, sometimes as much as possible, does not help either. You hit the party big time in the evening, thinking you will be ok in the morning, but you are not. It will take a while for all that alcohol to work its way out of your system.

What do you think of drinking and riding? Do you do it? Is the risk worth that drink or two?