Sand riding, it's not about the sand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Sand from the inside, its about you.

Recently I had a go at taking some people on a half day of sand riding.

Because of the work that I do – I help executive/management and sales teams perform better – I have some tools/experience that I thought would help people who have a bit of a hang up with sand.

Maybe an overview of what I did might help you.

First, some background on a way of understanding fear;

A way of describing fear is to use the analogy of an edge. It easier to use and is very useful in describing the important dynamics that happen as we both get closer to, and again when we step over it.

An Edge is something that is difficult to say, to think, to do, to feel, to dream, to hear or to look at. Doing so causes anxiety.

Edges are not always created by things that disturb us, attractors also create edges. A person who reluctantly has to cross a sand patch is different from someone who wants to do the same but knows they don’t have the skills or experience. Both have an edge around mud/sand and both would experience the same anxiety and some of the internal dialogue prior to the crossing. Both would be fearful.

We all have different edges, what one of us will comfortably do, others cannot.

• Edges are places where we are at a growing or inviting place to new experience.
• They are uncomfortable because they are part of what is yearning to happen but require new expression and challenges to our usual way of expressing. For example, attraction to another person.
• Edges have heat. We display behaviour at edges, like movement, freeze, laughter/giggling, forget everything,  go red, etc. Called edge behaviour.
• Over edge is often relieving. What was the big deal etc. This especially true when we have support over the edge.
• Edges occur in groups. We might want to say something but feel bad.

A critical aspect of edges is the Edge Figure or internal voice. We all have an internal voice “advising” us or influencing us. These voices or figures are a mixture of reality and perception based on our previous experiences, our culture, our families and our values. Some of the voices are real and some are perceptions. Nonetheless, they are often both very subtle and persuasive. We refer to them as edge voices or edge figures e.g "sand monsters".

As we approach an edge, our anxiety increases and our voices tell us No! I’ll look like a fool! I’ll look bad! You’ll get hurt! The closer to the edge the louder the voice.

Some of us go leaping over edges; others tread slowly. Most of us find ourselves somewhere in between.

There are some edges that we should not cross. For example, it may be a career-limiting move to tell your boss what you really think of him or her in an unprepared and unprofessional manner. Edges not to cross are those that would hurt you or someone else too much.

There are some ways of crossing edges unprepared and uncontrolled:
1. Under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol is an anesthetic that puts our edge voices to sleep.
2. In strong emotion people cross edges more quickly and less prepared.
3. In groups/crowds people cross edges more quickly and less prepared.

We approach an edge because we choose to, or because life pushes us there.

There are edges…
…we need to cross
…we should not cross
…we cross uncontrolled or unprepared
…we are pushed over

To move over edges we need support. Without thinking we can chase people over edges and embarrass or hurt them. It is critical that we never push someone over an edge; that we only support and assist him or her over their edge. The minute you push someone over an edge there are relationship problems. (of course we can all relate to being given a bit of a push as opposed to a shove – sometimes a bit of a supportive, loving push is good)

Ok, so now that the theory is over, the course;

I specifically asked for people who have an edge around sand, but, where sand is an attractor not a disturber. In other words they want to ride it but haven’t had much success or experience. This I think is a critical vetting step. Otherwise it would be a therapy session.

I then spent the first hour telling them about this theory and then having a group discussion so that they become more conscious of their internal dialogue. The reason is to get out into consciousness the critical voices that limit performance and listening. When you bring awareness to the edge figure you can begin to separate yourself from it. Until then you believe it, it can crush you, because you have identified with it as truth. The riders should then be able to monitor self performance better and be open to the experience of sand better.

We rode for a few k’s through very easy gravel with a very minor sand patch here and there. The very little sand was easily avoided and it was possible to ride around it. Once next to the bit of sand I wanted to train on it was fascinating to hear the group reflect on what the internal dialogue was and more importantly what the edge behavior was when this happened.

This is the critical step. We so often are unaware of how our behavior changes at edges. In sand the idea is that not being in as much control is actually the goal. Edge behavior often unconsciously dictates to the body in a way that destroys the ability to let sand have some control over the bike. What happens is that the body goes into resistance or inappropriate response e.g.

Gripping both bars and bike in a death grip
Tapping off or revving the throttle.
Tunnel vision
Over correcting or fighting the bars
Reflex sitting and putting the legs out.

All of which is counterproductive to getting into a rhythm in sand.

Then we went onto a very few basics of sand riding, bike setup, posture and control. Then quickly onto the sand itself. The sand I had in mind was pretty easy. Unfortunately it was a lot more loose and thick than anticipated so steepened the learning curve a bit. The idea was to experiment. This is where personal coaching starts to work. Getting and giving feedback. I’d wanted to get the participants to coach each other, it is a great way to learn.

A key point was to then see if I could rearrange the relationship the riders have with sand. Most people refer to sand as the “sand monster”. I expect this to be the case with most who have an issue with sand… and worse. If a new relationship with sand can be cultivated it does massive things to the ability to relax and perform.

Personally I see sand as a river and sometimes an ocean (Atlantis). It takes me to wonderful new places that normal roads can’t. You can imagine how my relationship with sand impacts my mindset when I see sand as opposed to the mindset someone has if when they see a patch of sand they see a monster.

I was amazed to see just how well they all did. Still a healthy respect but generally for beginners a pretty high degree of competence. It was important for all of them to have taken a tumble of sorts. A fall with no consequence does wonders to the edge voices – they lose a lot of ammo.

It went pretty well so I tried a bit of a difficult stretch. IsiThutu saw his arse but only because he’d psyched himself out of it and let the edge voices/behaviors  dominate at the critical moment. He hurt nothing on himself or his bike and was not too displeased with himself. I doubt his mornings work was for nothing. Sand gets everyone. If you don’t fall, you aren’t trying hard enough.

I don’t really have any strong opinions on best technique for riding sand other than I feel quite strongly about the use of the clutch - in sand it stops being a clutch and becomes a switch, no feathering. It's either in or out, rarely anything in-between. Keep your fingers off it.  I read a lot of “do this” and “don’t do that”. I say do what works for you and to do this you need to experiment. Experimentation is hard with a constant fear. There are things that make it sometimes easier, but as with all rules, they should be seen more as guidelines than commandments.

So I feel the course was successful because the fear was to a degree minimized by being more conscious of it and how it takes over. The course was about controlling the fear, not the sand.

Hope this helps?

Latest posts