Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Taken out on the N1 - but up and riding!!  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
Re: Taken out on the N1 - but up and riding!!
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:42 pm »
Not wanting to take the moral highground or anything, but I really really don't get how a close shave can justify vandalizing a car...

There are so many variables that we have control over and even more that we don't.

Getting onto the bike and into peak traffic must make one realize the possible cost of what can happen.

I have a close shave with someone I am pretty sure he 'skrikked' just as much as I did.
He didn't see me ?
I expect cars not to see me and try and kill me.
That's how I've been on the N1 basically every day from 1995 up to now with a couple of 'that could have been nasty if I was going fast' and maybe 3 'oops that was close'. But no 'shit I want to kill you that was so close' incidents.

If you 'punish' a driver of a car for not looking, then you also have to acknowledge that the responsibility for your safety is on his shoulders, where the opposite is true. No one but yourself can take responsibility for your safety and life.

And in my mind hate breeds hate.
It might be therapeutic for one guy to hit a car's mirror, but the sad truth is that he didn't harm you (almost is just that), but the guy doing it have then physically harmed the driver's car.
So one might think that he has moved from being 'motorcycle oblivious' to actually 'motorcycle aware', but in reality he's probably progressed to 'motorcycle hating'.

I do enjoy the privilege (yes in my mind it is not a right) of being able to lane split.
Just as I do not appreciate people on quads possibly ruining my privilege of seeing and visiting certain parts of nature, I also do not enjoy people who cannot control their anger maybe jeopardizing the lane splitting privilege.

And besides - I have said it lots and I will say it again: If you cannot separate your emotion from the throttle hand you might be better off not being on a bike...

Rant over.

+1

It only takes one guy to hit off a mirror, or kick a door, then everyone will be generalized as those types.

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 11:32:45 pm »
Hey Eishbein,
saw a very effective variation on the mirror moer that might serve as a good compromise. No physical damage,
This cage full of student swerved into the the centre lane an nearly took a lane splitter out - how he managed not to hit them was amazing.
He had to back the bike up to get into the centre again then he did a mirror "tap" and lecture sequence. arm waving and finger point the whole bit.
Then he pulled off again but by this time there were about 6 bikes were backed up watching the show.
Then we each took a turn to give him a lecture.
As i went round the corner he was still getting it in the ear. Muhaha

That makes sense!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Beagle boy - that is understandable.
I've been there.

Funny thing is what made the switch for me.
Was on my way to Paarl one morning with the FJ1200 at about 130.
Old geriatric 'antie' pulls out from behind a truck in the slow lane (doing 80) into the fast lane and RIGHT in front of me.
Managed to keep it all together, but I was pissed off.
So I succumbed to my emotion, dropped two gears and gunned it.
Those that know a FJ1200 know that it doesn't play around with roll on acceleration.
500 meters later I was doing about 200 when the situation repeated itself - bakkie comes out behind a truck from the slow lane.
Only this time the guy did look, but when he looked I wasn't in his rear view mirror.
So all of a sudden I had an 90km/h bakkie right in front of me and I was doing 200.
I don't know how I managed it, but with wind from behind and grace from above I didn't die that morning.

That was a defining moment in my motorcycling life. I decided there and then that it wasn't worth it to let my emotion control my throttle hand...

;D    
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 11:33:49 pm »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 11:39:30 pm »
Last thing about this (it is close to my heart in case someone missed it) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And this is a comment in general.

I didn't realize it until I rode home this afternoon thinking about what have been said here.

We all talk about the 'safety cushion' that we need around a vehicle. Cars have it and we do.
Kind of a vehicle's 'personal space' if you want.

On my way home I realized something - cars are mostly passive in managing their 'personal space'.
It is the bikers who are actively moving into and through the cars' 'personal space'.
Because of that we need to be extra careful.

I take it the thing we all want the least is to read/hear about a friend who got hurt/killed in an accident.
I think that's why I can really talk about this and analyze it too much (and maybe end up boring people). ;D ;D

In the end I take it all that really needs to be said is this:
Be careful out there. Whenever you share the road with others and on your own.
Nobody wants to read about friends getting hurt.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:29 pm »
Hey Eishbein,
saw a very effective variation on the mirror moer that might serve as a good compromise. No physical damage,
This cage full of student swerved into the the centre lane an nearly took a lane splitter out - how he managed not to hit them was amazing.
He had to back the bike up to get into the centre again then he did a mirror "tap" and lecture sequence. arm waving and finger point the whole bit.
Then he pulled off again but by this time there were about 6 bikes were backed up watching the show.
Then we each took a turn to give him a lecture.
As i went round the corner he was still getting it in the ear. Muhaha

1st part sounds familiar, but not the 2nd part. when did this happen?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Mr. Python

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 01:50:00 am »

1st part sounds familiar, but not the 2nd part. when did this happen?
[/quote]

About Mid October on the right hand bend to Canal walk just before the onramp from N1 city
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 03:32:56 am »
Glad to hear youre ok Mr Python. I got nailed by a car turning suddenely here in Lima and ended up with my face in his rear hub!

If it wasnt for the that Leatt neck brace I dont think I would be here today. Broke my wrist and smashed my bike up nicely too.

Be careful out there and as my old german mechanics prof used to say: You must Azzume Nufink! Everyvone is an idiot.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Oppad

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 03:55:46 am »
Last thing about this (it is close to my heart in case someone missed it) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And this is a comment in general.

I didn't realize it until I rode home this afternoon thinking about what have been said here.

We all talk about the 'safety cushion' that we need around a vehicle. Cars have it and we do.
Kind of a vehicle's 'personal space' if you want.

On my way home I realized something - cars are mostly passive in managing their 'personal space'.
It is the bikers who are actively moving into and through the cars' 'personal space'.
Because of that we need to be extra careful.

I take it the thing we all want the least is to read/hear about a friend who got hurt/killed in an accident.
I think that's why I can really talk about this and analyze it too much (and maybe end up boring people). ;D ;D

In the end I take it all that really needs to be said is this:
Be careful out there. Whenever you share the road with others and on your own.
Nobody wants to read about friends getting hurt.

Rarely has so much sense being spoken on the forum before. Mr. Eisbein, your other posts in this thread should also be read everyone. Very well said.

Offline Mother

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 07:16:05 am »

+1

It only takes one guy to hit off a mirror, or kick a door, then everyone will be generalized as those types.
[/quote]

i agree...this behaviour only insites negative attitude towards all us bikers...same concept that makes guys on this forum think all Harley riders are wallys......its the behavior of few that affect many.....Eisbien said it well for me...maybe add ...be conciderate too besides being careful out there
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:17 am »
I am old school and believe in "ses van die bestes" and a lot of love.

So, depend on the situation and the car drivers attitude afterwards, a klapped off mirror will make him think twice next time, will make him remember what can happen if he does it again, he will also remember that it cost moolah to fix his mirror and he will be much aware of bikes in the future.

Whatever you okes says, remember, nearly no (or just one or two) car drivers are killed by bikes. But a lot of bike riders are being killed by car drivers. The road act is clear on one thing and you as a car or vehicle driver must make sure that it is safe to change lanes. Changing lanes without making sure can kills, so that words "sorry did not see him" should be a ticket to 15 years or more in Pollsmoor.

Too many car drivers need wake up calls and training. Being nice will not change their attutude. They need a rude wake up call. And the same goes for bikers riding like hooligans where they should not.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 08:52:05 am »
Things need to change (and in a sense it is changing - its as if more and more car drivers are bike aware where I ride nowadays), but I don't believe senseless vandalism is the answer.

Stupid analogy, but if you are behind a woman in the queue at the bank and you are standing close to her when she steps back a little and end up putting a stiletto heel down on one of your toes, does it warrant you ripping out one of her earrings ?

I like the idea that mr Python mentioned of physical contact without  causing damage.

Sorry Ama - I disagree. I have spoken to guys (who incidently wanted to moer me, just because I ride a bike) who had their mirrors broken by a biker.

You know what the feeling was ?
'Fuck all bikers'

The guy said he'll make it his mission to not let the 'fuckers' through in traffic as 'they' are criminal and shouldn't be on the roads.

And in a sense I agree...

:(

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 09:02:04 am »
Eis I understand you view but dont share it. Not going to try to change yours. :thumleft:

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 09:11:33 am »
Eis I understand you view but dont share it. Not going to try to change yours. :thumleft:

:)

No harm or disrespect indented obviously ;D

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 09:17:57 am »
Dear Dr Phil....last week i smacked a mirror with my right hand.
 This VW Transporter CrewBus with two occupants changed lanes and almost wiped me out. They were chatting merrily...she looked a bit young for him so i am sure he was trying to be impressionable. I hooted and saw him look up into his rear view mirror and disregard me. He then continued his discussion & thoughts on how to get into her panties. I was very angry & wanted retribution.
I have a serious question for you.
Should i have rather used my left hand?
P
'Routine is the thief of time'

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:53 am »

:peepwall:

;D ;D ;D

KobusL

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 10:01:09 am »
Dear Dr Phil....last week i smacked a mirror with my right hand.
 This VW Transporter CrewBus with two occupants changed lanes and almost wiped me out. They were chatting merrily...she looked a bit young for him so i am sure he was trying to be impressionable. I hooted and saw him look up into his rear view mirror and disregard me. He then continued his discussion & thoughts on how to get into her panties. I was very angry & wanted retribution.
I have a serious question for you.
Should i have rather used my left hand?
P

Dear PP

The real questions are:
Was she good looking?
Did you get her number?

All the best

Phil

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 10:06:22 am »
 :) Dear DR Phil....it took all my considerable skill to avoid an accident....skills that would ordinarily be better employed looking down cleavages & up rucked up skirts. My apologies. I will try harder next time! :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline JamesXRV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:23 am »
When I was a school laaitie, there was a real bad ass biker in our neighbourhood on a black Kawa 1000 Lawson. I saw him one day at an intersection shouting and swearing at a terrified oke in a car that had cut him off.

I was very impressed with that at the time. I blame him for my violent behaviour.

Dr Phil, can you help?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:34:09 am by JamesXRV »
If at first you don't succeed, take another swig of whiskey and try again...

Offline Mother

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 10:36:44 am »

:)

No harm or disrespect indented obviously ;D

:thumleft: whats the point if we all agreed or thort the same.....i cant agree at all with the mirror thing and dont like being painted with the same brush as those that do believe this is justified ....also feel that way about skipping tolls and the harley thing...infact anything...ie all white south africans are...what ever ....u know what i mean
i once was in mozambique at a campsite next to a nice family..we where a bunch of DS riders on way up to Malawi and one of our partys friends joined in on a 4x4...they got lekka frot and behaved badly swearing/drunk  etc...
do u think we where excluded from these arseholes???
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Mr. Python

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:59 am »
Hey guys, Yami900's suggestion about the CCTV camera's was excellent.

Alas the cammeras are run by the City council and the Metro Cops.
They flat out refuse to help members of the public at all.
Not even general stuff do you keep a history...

You have to Subpoena before they oblige.

What a las
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶