Behold the BMW F800GS Motard !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I have had my 800GS for 6 months and done about 15000 km on it - from daily errands in and around Cape Town and slightly longer rides to Mozambique and Namibia and back

I have had plenty smaller and bigger bikes and have always said this 800 Bee-Em ticks almost all my boxes BUT did not inspire much confidence at serious speed on the road, especially in the twisty bits because of the skinny little 21 inch front wheel.

I absolutely love Super Motards and have owned a few but most are impractically uncomfortable and focused street machines - I wanted one bike to do almost everything. I have long dreamed of a motard version with a 17 inch front wheel and some super sticky rubber. AC Schnitzer built one as a prototype but when I contacted them via e-mail the reply came back that the wheel was not for sale as it would be too expensive ....

so I decided to build my own

After much searching and measuring I eventually found a rim that would fit and ordered it - this took 4 months to arrive (very long frustrating story) from a certain Orange 3 lettered manufacturer. I cannibalised the hub from a damged front wheel and sent it all off to a wizard named Niklaus Lutzeler (who also does 21 inch front wheels for 1200 GS's) to put it all together and lace it up for me.

The end result is stunning - I think the bike looks amazing. I can't report on how it handles because the wind has been pumping in Cape Town this weekend - I will definitely ride it lots this week and let you all know

But for now here are some pics of what I believe is the only 800GS motard in the country