Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Brothers, 2 Mates – oh & a key, a tyre, a clutch cable, ligaments, and battery  (Read 2884 times)

Offline rubiblue

I love planning rides, yip I am one of those. I enjoy every second of it and truth be told I don’t think this ride would have happened if I was not so anally-retentive.  ;)

This ride was supposed to happen in March, I think, but after breaking my collar bone on a short routine outride to harden my ass before we left, the ride fell to pieces. Good thing it was postponed actually, as this second pre-arrangement included a younger and older brother. I truely enjoy riding with my brothers, yes you too Colin and Kent, but it feels like we are connected while riding, I suppose we have all been riding for 20+ years each on all the riding platforms, so it comes to reason that this would occur, however we pretty much enjoy riding together, say “yes” brothers cos I certainly enjoy your company.

THE KEY
2 Days before leaving for the trip, my mom called me and said she was trying to get hold of either of the 2 of my brothers, as bubs had left his bike key at home in PE(he was already in Maseru). To cut a long story short, everyone was giving him a hard time, but in the end someone managed to get the key to his Hotel in Lesotho. Thanks for Sisters-in-laws bubs, otherwise we would have been shorting the KLR into life at every stop. More to come on the KLR later...

Last Minute Prep

T minus 35 seconds...

Anyway to get back on a straight line here, we were all going to meet in Himeville on Day 1. My 2 brothers went to assist some mates on the roof so they were already in Roma/Maseru the day before. Colin and Kent had left the previous day from PE, having a stop-over in Hogsbacks with Kent’s old man. I think Kent decided to stay at a back packer to try chase some tail, but who knows, he won’t admit it.  :biggrin:
I was coming down from Joburg so decided to hit the black stuff along the N3 all the way to Harrismith, where I would meet up with my brothers (shorty and bubs). It started off pretty boring, but I really didn’t care, several hours of planning made me aware of what lay ahead. It was timed perfectly as I popped the fuel tank open I heard 2 bikes pull in alongside me, shorty on my oldest boets 800GS and bubs on his trusty KLR steed. We had a quick breakfast in Harrismith, enjoyed the normal brotherly rip-offs and laughs. We chatted about the roof and how hectic it was, shorty reckoned that if he had done it this year he seriously doubted if he would have finished, and he can certainly ride, think he come 2nd the 1 year, maybe even first, sorry dude I don’t care much for awards,  :).

After breakfast we turned onto some gravel heading towards Bezuidenhouts Pass. Malibu had warned me that it may be wet and that they passed through 2 weeks earlier on plastics and said it was a bit muddy. Oh well, wasn’t raining today. We enjoyed some fast gravel sections before reaching the pass. It was enjoyable, there was a large mudhole right at the top, but otherwise it was cool. I think if it had rained it would have been very very interesting (looks like it had the potential to become very clay like very quickly). The temperature started getting really warm, I think I recall seeing 34 on the Bike’s temp gauge. We went through the pass, hit Bergville and then started realising that we were now hugging the berg toward Himeville. The roads were cool, good portion of gravel, a road busy being tarred (careful of the loose marbles boys!), and a very light drizzle. We had all purchased Vuka rainsuits because I knew December was Lesotho’s highest rainfall month and we wanted to ensure that we would be relatively dry during one of the many downpours expected. It spat twice... but the suits are good buys, I am sure it will come in handy at some point.

We also passed a group on mountain bikes, looked like one of the dude’s front wheel had come off going downhill, he looked very daized and confused. We offered help but they said help was already on the way, we waved goodbye, about 5 kilometres later, we were passed by 2 speeding bakkies, one of which almost took me out, I realised that was the poor guys help (a freaked out wife, driving 120 on the gravel hugging ALL the inside lines on the road, DANGER,  ???).

Bezuidenthouts Pass Top (bubs closest, with shorty in the background)

Top of some Tar pass, we took a detour at the top to find a better backdrop

Then suddenly we were in Himeville, it was a long day, so we decided to quickly sort out the rooms, shower and wait for the others that we were expecting shortly. Himeville is cool. It’s small and friendly and it’s very easy to understand why this is a popular pit stop before Sani.

Then the rains came, It pissed down, like very hectically, so we thought Sani was going to be a bit of a laugh in the morning. Time started ticking by as the 3 of us, had a few beers talked to quite a few of the guys that had come down the Sani Pass after Roof of Africa on their way home. One of the guys had broken his collar-bone near the base of the Pass, luckily one of the Roof riders drove his bike all the way back to Durban whilst he enjoyed the car ride home. By now Kent and Colin were late. We dropped them a call, apparently Colin wanted to change his tyre mid route and they experienced 2 punctures on the way up front Hogsback. About 3 hours later they rocked up, a bit wet from the storm and looking more tired than us. We all had some chow, several more beers, by 9pm we were all looking very drooping eyed and decided to hit the sack early as we need to change the Rear tyre on Colin’s bike and then hit Sani Pass. The First days shooters were handed out for misconduct on the day which set the precedent for the riding ahead.

The room, holy crap it stank after we got back from dinner, 3 okes dirty sweaty riding kit, not drying due to the weather, knee braces and socks especially, my fok!

About 580kms for the day, about 8 hours on the bike.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:53:31 pm by rubiblue »
Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW
Current; F800GS, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Marnus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
 :happy1: 

Excellent - our trip down Bezuidenhouts pass and up/down Sani was one of my favorites.  Looking forward to the rest.

Offline odge

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
awesome views! That "mudhole" there is an understatement though!

Offline rubiblue

Day 2

We got up really early, thanks shorty, he has recently inherited my Dad’s bad sleeping technique so waking up at 4am each morning was the norm for him. Unlucky being in shared rooms made us wake up early too as I think he was slightly bored to sit on his own and amuse himself, quietly. Myself and Shorty were suffering some light flu, so we quickly shot through to Underberg to visit the pharmacy and shop for the others random orders.

The Tyre
In the meantime Colin got his wheel changed in Himeville at the Yamaha Dealership, very nice owner, can’t recall his name.

By 9.30 we were filled up and ready to hit Sani Pass.

There was severe mist/fog in the early morning but buy the time we got to the base of the pass it had all cleared up. The roads were relatively quiet except for a few 4x4 enthusiasts, but we just blasted pass them quite early on.

Bubs left his bike licence at home, the officials on the SA side were quite friendly and accommodating, however bubs suffers from Agrumentativeness (common condition of someone not having the ability to concede defeat and say “ok, you are 100% right, thanks for letting us through anyway though”).  :D . I repacked my rear luggage roll as it had shifted forward, we tied down the KLR fuel muel’s 30litre tank using a makeshift plan as it was rattling and wearing through against the radiator. We were off.

It is so beautiful there, a highly recommended the ride going up. It is loose in places, got a bit skwirly once or twice, but it is quite easy. MOMENTUM... A large truck was going up near the top and I decided to pass him on the outside, he probably didn’t see me and pushed me wider and wider, 5 more centimetres and I would have lost the bike over the side, which would have ended my ride for sure. Stupid, won’t do that again...

Colin, followed by Kent making it out

After the R4 toll fee on the Lesotho side, with no receipt in sight, we just left and went to have a beer at the pub at the top of the pass. I generally never drink and ride, but thought a Maluti Lager on top of Sani Pass is definitely a milestone beer opportunity, so we indulged. We enjoyed the views and chatted a bit before heading off again.

We headed towards Mokhotlong for a refuel. The road from Sani to Mokhotlong is amazing, truly amazing, fast gravel going through the valley, won’t forget it in a hurry. We refuelled at Mohotlong at an Exel.

Then headed north toward AfriSki Resort, our accommodation for the evening. The tar passes to get there were also great, had the 800 nicely leaned over and we did that section rather quickly.

Shorty (doing his best at the Blue-Steel impersonation)

About 20 kilos before AfriSki, we decided to head down the beginning of the Kao Mine road to see what is what like, as we had 2 options for the following day (easier route was around the koa mine area past Butha-buthe toward Katse OR take the Kao Mine road to Katse). We first went down the wrong road to a new mine and promptly got told it was the wrong road and he gave us directions how to get to the start of the Kao Mine Road. We eventually did the first 3 or 4 km’s of the Kao Mine road and thought it was technically nothing crazy, so if the weather was fair tomorrow we would take this option.

AfriSki is a very desolate place, I imagine in winter it must be very busy, but out of season it is dead! Besides us and the Electricity guys that were converting a sub station up the hill, we were all alone. We managed to get the pub open and we enjoyed several beers before dinner, walking around to see all the machinery and stuff for the lifts. Setup is small but impressive for Lesotho. That evening we met the manager and gave us a history lesson about Tiffendal, AfriSki and Lesotho itself, very knowledgable guy. He also gave us some possible routes to venture too if we had the time on the upcoming days. The Electricity guys were pretty cool too, they told us we had to go up the hill where they were working, apparently the views were incredible. That was our plan for the morning. After we dinner we invaded the bar, no barmen were no present so we helped ourselves to a couple more drinks before hitting the sack, diligently makes notes of what we were drinking to pay for the booze in the morning  :thumleft:

Colin explaining something completely trivial

Kent as Barman

The rooms were pretty good for what we paid, all had our own double rooms with ensuite bathrooms, heated flooring etc (oh and about 25 spare wool blankets each, it seems it may get cold here in the winter). Can anyone confirm whether AfriSki has the highest pub in the world, because my GPS indicated that their pub was higher than that of the Sani Pass one.

Room with a view

About 220kms for the Day, about 6 hours ride time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:55:50 am by rubiblue »

Offline rubiblue

Day 3

We again woke pretty early, but by now I think it was due to the anticipation for the day ahead. Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. I think by Day 5 I only started sleeping properly, it was a bit irritating, but it is amazing how little sleep the body actually needs. The weather was very clear so we decided to make the day a bit more technical and head down the Kao Mine road. Directly after breakfast we headed up to the substation to go and see what the Electricity bunch was going on about. We went up a wrong road, but eventually we found it. We followed the twisty road up and up until we found it. We were high, 3222m I recall seeing, will double check my GPS to confirm. Now I don’t know much about Lesotho, but for as far as we could see no hill or mountain was higher than us. It was also very cold, around 10 degrees. Kent went missing for a while and we thought he had carried on past the turn off. 2 Days later we found out he went to find a quiet stop to make a bos-kuk. Classic.

Bubs KLR would not start, ended up pushing him up the hill to the crest, at 3222 metres my lungs were crying to me, almost vomited in my helmet.

Now I have heard about the Kao Mine Road, comments ranged from Hectic to you can fly over it. We had a little apprehension. It was a bit hectic, in places, I think going up will be more much more testing than going down on a big bike, the last stretch was particularly rocky, but all possible

Some water crossings

And then it happened. I think it was the second or third water crossings. Halfway through, the front stopped dead (must have been a small ledge or something. I put my left leg out, found the wet rock, and my leg slipped out (rocks were very slippery). I felt like a small fall, then suddenly pain shot through my left knee and the bike fell on top of me. I have broken many bones, never ligaments, and I can honestly say bone pain is very different from that pain. I honestly felt like dropping a tear or 2. About 10 minutes later and after the “most awesome cigarette” ever, I got up. Something was wrong, but we all knew we had to carry on, so I put back on my bike by the others and moved forward. The pain went away completely, and standing up was fine. Whoops were a little painful by the knee felt ok. A few hoots to tell guys ahead I was coming through as I did not want to stop or have to put a leg out. Lesson I learnt, don’t put legs out on a heavy bike, rather let the bike take the fall for you.

The Local greeting technique

After the “hectic” session, we hit the gravel and tar, until we crossed the dam, where we had a few options, after some mis-communication and chasing each other before any rash decisions were made, we all stopped and pondered our options. 40kms via tar, 40kms via gravel or 70kms around the other side of the dam to Katse, my knee was fine, so we took a vote. 4 in the favour of 1. 70kms via Gravel. As we decided the heavens showed their wrath for about 3 minutes. The 3 brothers keen to don their new “vuka” rain suits, we were rain proof within 2 minutes. About 5 minutes later all of us were wetter in the inside than the outside – that thing is water tight! Kent and Colin had a laugh I am sure. Whilst doing the suit up I again twisted my knee, had done it about 20 times since the ride ended, this thing is poked. Having op in Jan, torn ACL and IML, not looking forward to it!

It was a nice route so it was definitely worth it, as we came to Katse we tried to source some fuel, after going back and forth a few times, we found fuel up the hill and thought we should worry about it the following morning. Bubs sourced me some ice for the knee and we took account of the day’s damages to man and machine. All the BMW’s had those solid bash plates all of them took abuse, one of the edges on mine was twisted on itself, Shorty’s was badly dinged in the middle, Colin’s was shifted the entire plate backwards – the BMW’s could have a higher engine clearance methinks. Bubs's clutch cable had snapped at the clipped edge on the clutch side, and Kent’s and Shorty’s rear mounting plates for the topboxes were beginning to fail. Lesson – soft luggage!

After several ice packs and deep heat applications my knee felt better but it was starting to stiffen a lot in the joint. We had dinner, a few drinks, we postponed the penalties for the day for when we hit Rhodes in 2 days time, with a large bang to end things off with some of the guys who were leaving us in a few days time. All went to sleep early.

About 220kms for the day, about 13 hours of riding
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:15:31 am by rubiblue »

Offline rubiblue

Day 4

The previous evening we managed to organise the Katse Dam wall tour.

The Clutch Cable
After breakfast we loaded our crap, managed to source a new clutch cable for the KLR via telephone to meet us in Rhodes in 2 days time.

We had a buffet breakfast and then went to the meet the tour guide at the Information centre. I must say that I was thoroughly impressed by the tour. The tour guide was knowledgable even for someone so young, I think Kent had the hots for her  :mwink:

Then we went down to the base of the dam, followed by a tour to the top. All this happened via our bikes. My knee started worrying me a bit, it was very loose and any sudden movement proved to me that something was loose.

After the tour, our next plan was to go and source fuel once more. We ended in the village again and each managed to top up with 5 litres.  

From there we headed to Thaba-Tseka for some chow and fuel. This section went really quickly, I think we killed 70km’s in an hour, not a bad average speed, all gravel. It was like fluid, before I knew it we were there.
I recall Shorty hopping on the 990S for a decent section and Kent took his 800GS. According to the critics, the 990 is a serious machine, if ridden properly it is fast, but without the ABS, he said it makes riding much easier with the ABS, on technical stuff, different story. The KTM comes into it’s own on more whoopy and technical stuff – however it is a top heavy beast and packs some serious weight. Kent said he is going for a 690, as he wants to play around more. Anyway, we reached our destination, filled up with clean unleaded fuel and then tracked down a small Cafe and Butchery. We gobbled down some biscuits, coke and energade – what a meal.

At the back of my mind was the upcoming stay for the night, it was self catering and there are really not many places to get food. We continued on, with the light of finding some decent stuff at the Chinese supermarket near Sehlabathebe Lodge. This section was also all gravel but it was once again fast easy going gravel, with a few bad sections and riverbeds to keep things interesting. Near the end we went through Matebeng Pass. This is also a very nice pass, a lot easier than Sani Pass, but still lots of tight rocky turns. The view was spectacular from up there. I think was now battling with no clutch cable, chossing his stopping places wisely. He mentioned the gearbox was beginning to sound a bit funny, which was a slight concern, but KLR's are seriously tough. In the high altitudes passes the poor KLR was battling on power.

We quickly located the Chinese Shop, and decided Shorty and myself would go and find the place we were staying. The other three got comfy. The lady had given me GPS co-ordinates for the backpackers, so I started tracking it. We ended up wasting about an hour and a half, up and down some cool little roads, all the way to Sehlabathebe Lodge. On our way back, we past it on the way to the Chinese shop, we must have ridden past it 2 minutes into our search. ARRRRRGGGGGGG, but it was cool to not really know what we were going to do for the evening. Khotso trails is just past the shop, so quickly went to check the facilities to see if we could have a braai. Braai is fine to have there, we just didn’t have any meat. Suggestion – get meat in Thaba-Tseka next time!!!

We stocked up at the shop with some fuel, bread, milo, sugar, baked beans and candles. We unpacked, got clean, and went about investigating our surroundings. Shorty and bubs had picked up 2 half jacks of brandy and some cans of coke from the Shop, whilst on their mission to send news to the wives that we were all good. No Signal anywhere here, they had to make a 30km round trip to send an SMS, no voice. We organised an 50 gallon half drum, asked some kids to find us some wood (which we gave them treats for), and we had purchased some oil at the shop. We only had one chance to get it right, Colin pulled some bush skills and got a roaring fire going. Shorty started warming the beans for dinner, and the brandy’s were going down well. It got very cold very quickly so we organised the indoor fireplace to keep the inside warm.

We chowed our beans and then sat around playing dominoes. 2 of the guys faded early so we jsut sat around on the beanies and had a drink or two before hitting the sack. We knew tomorrow would be a long day, so getting an early start would definitely help.

Kent donning his new purchase, some random guys walked into the backpackers, we didn't really think much of it,until they opened the bags and offered us their goods, Kent was good enough to support the locals.

Total of 220kms for the day, 7 hours of riding
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:44:32 am by rubiblue »

Offline rubiblue

Day 5

We left very early, I think we were on the road at 6am. After some leftover bread, we saddled up and hit the road again. It was very misty, my visor was unusable, but with it up it was freezing. We did the first 80 odd kilometres went by very quickly, awesome gravel roads, I enjoyed this morning, I was in the front, and set the pace nice and fast. We past Ramatseliso quite early, I hit a sharp ledge on the way out of this twon, almost completely lost control, thought for sure that I must have incurred a puncture, but nothing – those double thick tubes were pulling their weight.

Just past the turn off to Qachas Nek the road turned to tar. The tar section all the way to Tele Bridge, is pretty uneventful, but the view and ascents and descents are incredible. The roads were quite busy so we took it nice and easy.

Just before Tele Bridge we were pulled over by the traffic cops. I took a shortcut and went to fuel. Kent got a bit of abuse from the cops as they thought we were rude, but after some light chatter and niceties we were filled up and ready for the border crossing and then Lundeans Nek Pass.

On our way up Lundeans Nek, there are several water crossings which it seems are kept wet for extended periods of time, and as a result very mossy. On about the 3rd or 4th one, my rear slipped out to the right, causing me to lose footing with my left leg and it hitting the ground as I was rolling forward. The pain was unreal, if I hadn’t already torn it, now I definitely did. For 2 solid minutes I could do nothing but hit my helmet with my hands to try and avoid thinking about my knee. Eventually I managed to put it back onto the foot peg, told my 2 brothers to carry on ahead. Kent and Colin pitched up and I noticed Kent rear wheel was flat. Luckily he has converted his tubed tires to a tubeless configuration. After some sweating from their side and 5 minutes later we were off once again. I need to do that to my bike, seems far too easy, and in the worst case you stuff a tube in there.

The remainder of the ride was a bit tiring, I managed to get the bike into 5th gear and road about 80kilometers like that. The 800 has a beautiful engine, the torque is perfect and pulling hairpin bends in 5th wasn’t even an issue for the engine. My 2 brothers took the “go ahead” instruction a bit too far, I didn’t see them since Lundeans Nek top until I got to Rhodes. Colin and Kent were also taking it easy further behind me. We stopped off at the Rhodes hotel to replenish our bodies, had a few cold drinks, some awesome burgers, and managed to ice my knee again. After about 2 hours, we decided to go to Nuade’s Nek to go experienced the view. It is about a 60kms round trip on very gravel raods. Unfortunately the weather was not as nice, the steep slope generated massive clouding at the top so we could not see anything down below the Pass.

We called it a day and headed back to our hired house for the evening. Shorty and Colin turned off the Tiffendal to go and have a look; I was sore so went back to Rhodes, followed by Bubs and Kent. We found our accommodation; all had showers and got dressed and waited for the others. A phone call from my brother’s wife started getting me nervous as they had now been gone for about 3 hours. She asked to speak to Shorty, I had to lie to avoid stress build up and mentioned he had quickly gone to get some cold drinks at the shop with Colin, Sorry Nats, white lie. Eventually they called us, and had managed to back the other way around, about an extra 120 kilometres via the Wartrail road. They looked properly buggered.

We were finally all ready to go for dinner, we had been told by the Afri-Ski manager to go to the pizza place, as a mate of his owned it. We took his advice, had very good pizzas and a few laughs with the owner, eventually he would not let us go and kept offering Jagermeister’s, we indulged for a while, Thanks DAVE! We also finished up all the penalties for the past few days in one go, as this was to be our last day all together. Kent and Colin we were back towards PE in the morning.

On our way home, we popped into the Rhodes Hotel, had a drink with the locals and then headed to bed.

Total of 440 for 3 of us, and 560 for Shorty and Colin, about 12 hours riding
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:40:04 pm by rubiblue »

Offline Marnus

• Yeeeeehaaaa!
Nice trip!  And great report with all the pictures & writeup.  Hope your knee will be ok!

Offline bradleys

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Nice report and pics, hope your knee heals soon , I also see you met father christmason your last night
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only

Camelman

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:! Very nice bru! You okes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky with all the borders in close proximity! Super nice RR! Thanks!

Offline rubiblue

Wasn't our last night together, we still had 2 days more riding, more to follow soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:01:44 pm by rubiblue »

Offline rubiblue

Day 6

We got up early again, and decided to split up at Barkly East, hopefully have a quick breakfast there and then say our goodbyes. The trip to Barkley East was pretty quick, although it was a bit chilly this morning.

We could not find a breakfast place open so decided to say goodbye and the 3 of us would breakfast in Lady Grey. I hate this part of a ride, saying goodbye to mates always means things are coming to an end in terms of the trip itself. Just a quick word, Colin and Kent, it is a pleasure riding and having an adventure with you guys, thanks for joining us – it was a good trip, some great memories were shared.

On our way from Barkly East to Lady Grey we decided to go via Jouberts Pass. It is a very small pass, but looks directly over Lady Grey so it is worth it in terms of viewing. The road was very lose, like the gravel had been cut a few days earlier and deposited this powdery layer on top, almost lost the front more than once. We found a quiet little country inn in Lady Grey and had a good breakfast.

We had a bit of riding to do today, so we finished up and hit the tar and some gravel all the way to the next border crossing. This section was very fast gravel and tar. Gravel highways! We went through at Makhaleen Bridge and had a pitstop at the little Cafe there.

Just after the border he turned onto gravel once more. I didn’t really enjoy this section, was expecting it to take a bit quicker, but we took several hours from border to Ramabanta all via dirt and off road passes. The views were spectacular as usual, but I was tired and hot and irritable.

At the turn off to ramabanta, shorty and bubs split off from me to go back to Maseru, fetch the bakkie, and tow their bikes back, so that in the morning they could hop in their vehicle and tow the bikes all the way to PE.

THE BATTERY
I think bikes can relate to their riders, as I was hot and tired, my 800 started showing signs of weakness. As we split, I noticed some weird things on my bike, it spluttered a little and gave me warning messages that the lamp was out. I checked it and every seemed fine. So I continued, I knew it was about only 10km’s to Ramabanta, so no real stress. Then something gave up, the bike completely died, the display went off and the bike came to a halt. I suspected maybe the side stand switch, so fiddled with it a bit. When key is on, nothing happens, expect randowmly it will come on perfectly. Then when you switch off it makes several odd noises and the dials jump and down. Battery issues I knew for sure. So I waited for them to come back past so they could tow me to Ramabanta where I could try fix the bike. About 2 hours later then came into view. They seemed quite bewildered to the fact that the bike was not going anywhere. Eventuallys I got my bike on the trailer and I stole bubs KLR for the trip to Ramabata (10km’s...). My word, I don’t know how my little boet is still alive, that thing is a road hazard, if you turn slightly, it feels as they the steering bearings are gone, and then bike veers radically in the direction of your initial turn. Congrats Bubs, I have no clue how you keep on our asses on that bike, you must come close to death at every bend.

Anyway we swopped my bikes battery with shorty’s (luckily they were towing bikes back tomorrow), so the battery theft left no-one in the dwang. Very convenient.

They got all packed up and ready for tomorrow drive home, I sorted the bike out. We got showered, made a trip to signal wifes back in SA that everything was good to go and that we would be back in relevant towns tomorrow by lunch time. I had also managed to lose my cell during the battery episode, so had to nick Bubs’s phone for my trip home. I was contemplating just leaving it and going home on my own with no means to contact people, but my logical side got the better of me and convinced me to take it with.

We had a good chow, chatted about all sorts of crap, met some young/old guys going up Baboons Pass in the morning (not really my thing), it apparently takes about 20+ hours in vehicles, and you have to pack the road the entire way up and down. Seems like a mission!

We hit the sack early.

Total of about 440kms for the day, again about 12 hours from Rhodes to Ramabanta.

Offline dakardrix

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Lekker man!  :thumleft:

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Lovely part of the world,aint it?
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline odge

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
nice report!

Offline rubiblue

Day 7

Today was not very interesting. I managed to lose my boets, they took the quick way but I was ahead of them, so I ended up stopping on the side of the road waiting for them. They were already at the border, eventually I left the side of the road and carried on to the Maseru border myself. Then I saw them, they were about to turn around to go looking for me. Took 2 minutes inside the building and then we all headed to Ladybrand for breakfast. After a refuel and a wimpy sunrise breakfast we parted ways. The wind picked up quite badly, so badly that I eventually stopped and fitted ear plugs. It was about 500 kms mostly tar on the way home. Got home around 12 o’clock, stripped myself of all the dirty very stinky gear, and I hopped into a well deserved shower. Had to go to a function that evening, so at 2am the following morning, well lubricated, I finally fell onto bed and slept until late the following morning.

What a trip. It entailed most scenarios of any adventure. Broken individuals; broken bikes; tiresome riding and the ability to spend some quality time with my 2 boets and close friends. Thanks again guys, it was special. Botswana is next on the plans.

My knee (yes yes okes, I know I have skinny legs)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Great trip, Respect!

Riding all that way with a dogey :o knee! How is it, now that you have had a chance to see a doc and operate?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
What a cool RR... :thumleft:  Dont think i like the knee bit tho...that shud heal in time....

As said you guys lucky to have all the borders on your doorstep... :mwink:

Offline Paulsky

• If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
I see Silly Kent was on form again, why's Colin only in about 3 pics, did he really go with or has he been photo shopped?

Cool ride, roads look be-fuck!
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline rubiblue

Knee is okay ish now, just taking it easy. only having op on 18th jan for fix the mess, specialist go on leave as well,  :o

YIp, Colin was there, I generally took photos while waiting for Colin to catch up,  :D