XRV-Boy- Blown over into oncoming trafic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRV-Boy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
So I dissapeared on a little solo trip up to stillbaai on thursday and had a great ride up and a groot jol with mates of mine, on the way home yesterday from stillbaai, ridding through rain and some very k@k Drivers.

I rode through the Du Tiots Kloof tunnel, all very nice and dry and windless. Then as I was riding down from the tunnel over the very large open bridge, going about 60 or so- here comes the wind (must have been gusting around 100kph or so) at first I thought I could hold her- next thing I knew I was hit by another gust and blown into oncoming trafic, I cranked it to try and power through the wind but alas it was not to be, gravity did the rest and I was down... very heavy thump and a sharp pain in the backside later I was lying in the tarmac looking up at some guys ML500 grill. Managed to get up ok and checked the bike- there was a load of feul on the road from the overflow, but apart from some paint missing on the crashbar she seemed ok. Managed to get her up with the help of some other drivers that stopped when they saw me go over (Thank you who ever you are). and got her started and slowly moved back down the pass and on home.

I can thank my guardian angels that the oncoming trafic was moving slowly otherwise it would have been finished with me- Please be careful guys the wind is no joke as I learnt yesterday.

Ok so now for the noob question- How to deal with heavy gusting wind?
- Normally I drop a gear and power through it while trying to lean the bike into the wind, now aparnetly this does not work so what do you recomend? Ride slower or faster? or is there no way of actualy riding in wind? :thumleft: