Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2010 dr650 presents from procycle  (Read 1575 times)

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
2010 dr650 presents from procycle
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:07:32 am »
A lot of dr owners want to order stuff from abroad and have expressed interest in a group buy. Procycle in the US is the site I visit most often to perv. Jeff is well respected on advrider and has a very good reputation.

I'll be ordering the tm40 pumper carb, the magnetic drain plug and the dr250 tail light in early January. Insurance is available from procycle and well worth the price.

Any other Drs want to take part in a group buy??

Please add what you are considering here. We can start the process of negotiating with Jeff early in Jan, I think. And also discuss how we handle those dubious characters at the Post Office. Maybe rather spread the cost of delivery by courier??

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:10:35 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Ganjora

Re: Santa's dr650 bag of treats
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:37:37 am »
tm40 carb

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:30 am »
Never visited Procycle's website before. Will go have a look. 

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 07:54:04 am »
KD ... it's procycle.us  (not .com!) Enjoy!! There's some really lekker stuff on his site. Eish. Wish I had more loot available. I really want the motard wheel set as well, but 10 grand (tyres and delivery included) is a lot of moola!!
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline wrench

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Bajaj (all models)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:40 am »

I'll be ordering the tm40 pumper carb, the magnetic drain plug and the dr250 tail light in early January. Insurance is available from procycle and well worth the price.

Jenks I don't think the TM carb should be your first choice, if I were you, I would go for either the mikuni RS series or the Keihin
FCR's. Have a look at Sudco.com and Motorcyclecarbs.com :thumleft:

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:11:45 am »

Jenks I don't think the TM carb should be your first choice, if I were you, I would go for either the mikuni RS series or the Keihin
FCR's. Have a look at Sudco.com and Motorcyclecarbs.com :thumleft:

Thanks Wrench!!

Explain ... why do you think the RS is better?? Also will they fit the dr ... and will a novice like myself be able to install without too much fuss?

The nice thing with the tm from procycle is that it has adaptors specifically machined to fit the dr's airbox and intake. It also has cables and jets included. Costs 449 dollars - shipping excl.

What are your concerns regarding the tm40, wrench? I'd be very keen to hear them. Also why do you prefer the keihin fcr??Mx_rob sells the Keihin adapted for the dr. But most guys on advrider prefer the tm40.

I'll check those websites tho'.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:12:14 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline wrench

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:20:23 am »
TM carbs were stock on most of the 2t MX bikes and they don't work as well as the RS and FCR. If you want to have a fire breathing DR, either one will be the way to go for around the same price or slightly more. Both brands are super easy to
tune and the suppliers will furnish you with the correct adapters and cables.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:19 am »
TM carbs were stock on most of the 2t MX bikes and they don't work as well as the RS and FCR. If you want to have a fire breathing DR, either one will be the way to go for around the same price or slightly more. Both brands are super easy to
tune and the suppliers will furnish you with the correct adapters and cables.

OK. I just want a more responsive bike for the rocky and low-med rev stuff. The chatter on advrider indicates the pumper carbs make the dr's optimum power available over a much wider rev range - negating the need for any gear change.

Thanks for the input, Wrench. Always appreciated.  :thumleft:
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline wrench

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:49 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Hagar

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:15:22 pm »
Regarding the choice between the TM40 and Keihin fcr-mx.  I bought a Fcr-mx on ebay, and i am currently converting it.  I went for the fcr because I like the anti decel popping thing, and the rollers on the slide.  It can be bought at a lot less than what the TM40 would cost you at Procycle. There is currently a very nice KTM 525 carb  for $160 buy it now on ebay, and if you are patient you will pick one up for just more than $100.  

The fcr is not a plug and play thing like the TM40 from Procycle however if you want to do it properly.    I am currently adapting the FCR to my bike.   I  turned a plug to fit in place of the TPS, installed and turned a fitting to supply vacuum to the stock petcock on my IMS tank, turned the fuel inlet lower and tapped and slotted the hole for the throttle return cable.  The big job (and I enjoyed it most) was turning what looks exactly like a  Noss adapter on my lathe, as I do not like the kind of adapters as made by MX Rob.  I ordered the jetting kit from Procycle and am awaiting it. Shipping sounds expensive,   but only till you start pricing things locally.  It was a lot cheaper to order the jet kit from Procycle than sourcing things locally.  I want to do the swop for a GSXR 1000 exhaust at the same time I change the carb, so the jetting would not need to be changed again.  I also intend making and fitting a power now style plate.

The TM40 carbs, while less complicated/less advanced seem to work nicely on the DR and seems easier to set up.  Procycle will supply you with jetting information for most combinations, and it seems most people do not have problems.  So especially if you do not want to open up the airbox or fit a GSXR exhaust or similar free flowing exhaust, I guess the TM40 is the best option.   I enjoy doing the machine work and believe I will have a better carb for less money with the FCR though once everything is set up.  I got a flange for the GSXR pipe today.  What remains to be done  is the midpipe and rejetting.  I will post pictures once everything is sorted out.
If somebody else also wants to fit a GSXR pipe (go read MX Rob's thread), I have an extra flange to sell as I could get 2 for the same prize as 1 at our local laser cutting business.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:19:16 pm by Hagar »

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »
Howzit Hagar

I think your skills set is about five times mine! I've never worked on a carb before, so I'll go with the plug and play option, or maybe the rs carb, if sodico will make the adaptor rings and provide the jetting options.

I'm very keen to see how your project progresses!!
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 06:05:41 pm »
BTW Hagar/Wrench ... What are your thoughts on opening up the airbox?? I'm in Jozi. I've cut a three centimetre diameter hole next to the snorkel hole already. Snorkel removed, but kept in a safe place. I've kept the piece from the hole I cut, so I can reinstall if necessary.

You say, hagar, that opening the airbox also necessitates a jetting change?? I suppose a richening of the mixture??

I've also been thinking about the implications of removing the snorkel and opening the airbox. Specifically about more dirt getting into the airbox. That worries me a tad.

dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »
I am not a carb expert either, but that is the wonder of the internet.  It allows noobs like us to attempt all kinds of things because all the info is available.  But according to what I read, you will definitely have to shim up the needle of your us spec bike if you removed the snorkel and especially since you have cut an additional hole, else your bike will run dangerously lean and hot.  

I intend opening the top of my bike's airbox, but make it closable as well, with an ali plate that screws on top.  I want all my mods to be reversible and will keep my current carb stock.  (Nothing really wrong with it in any event).  I guess the airfilter  will become dirtier quicker but I will clean it more often.  I just want to experiment with the pumper carb and  hope it will help the DR to pull better from lower revs.  If it lifts the front easily, more fun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:29:00 pm by Hagar »

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:08 pm »
Agree with all of that Hagar :)

I think my bike is running very rich, so the hole in the airbox should lean it out a little. It hardly pops on decel at all.

I hope you finish that keihin soon.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:41:09 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline wrench

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »
The internet can be very useful, but there way too many internet technicians and lottsa times a simple job could end up in tears and very expensive. You could make a call on whether your bike is rich or lean, but if you not sure of where your AFR is currently,
how could you no where to take it to. A couple of months ago I had Kamanya's 950 on the dyno which was internet tuned and it turned out to be dangerously rich. Check http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=34472.0

My suggestion is get the carb you want to use, fit it to the bike and get it rideable, then take it to a Dyno equipped shop
preferably a Dynojet dyno so AFR can be measured in real time with and without load. Even with having a dyno to my disposal
it is not uncommon to make 10-15 different selections to get it perfect. If you tackle it yourself and become unstuck, I will PM you my number and I could talk you through it, don't do too well with keyboards, I keep losing certain lettrs :D

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 06:52:35 am »
Thanks Wrench

That's really kind of you! Sage advice regarding the dyno. Thanks, boet!

I messaged Jeff at procycle about a group buy. HE's prepared to offer group discount and to organise that a courier service handle the delivery (instead of the post office). But he's warned that this will be very expensive and will negate any discount he's prepared to offer.

He also explained that he chose the tm40 because it's a lot cheaper, he says, than the fcr or the rs carb. Jeff says the rs is very similar to the tm and shares many parts with it.

We can chat about the options.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:05:38 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »
Just spend the $3 on insurance and take your chances with SAPO.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
Well let's see what deal Jeff is prepared to offer. I'd be willing to let a discount pay for the costs of the couriers. So far it's just Ganja and I who have listed items. Any other takers??
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
Hi Jenks. When exactly do you guys plan to order. If it is soon I am interested in a 14 (525 chain) and a K&N air filter.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 06:52:13 am »
Hi Jenks. When exactly do you guys plan to order. If it is soon I am interested in a 14 (525 chain) and a K&N air filter.

Cool Rob. We'll need a few more takers to make this work. Ganjora is taking a rain check for now. My cash is running low right now. So let's give it a few more weeks and then decide whether to place a group order, if that's OK??

Cheers boet
dr650se "Honest Joe"