Quickie - Plett,Oudtshoorn, Die Hel,Prince Albert, home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierredb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I got up yesterday morning and on the spur of the moment decided to do a day trip as SWAMBO had signed a day pass.

Left Plett at 6 and headed for George. Realised at the first stop that I had left my camera at home so sorry no pics.  :mad:

Rode Montague pass out of George to Oudtshoorn. Scenic ride but not at all technial.

Quick brekkie in Oudtshoorn then out to the Swartberg pass. Beautiful scenery . Turned off to Die Hel. First 15 km's quite boring. Not much scenery. Then it gets quite interesting. the final drop off into the Hell is pretty agressive. Passed quite a few vehicles which makes life interesting on such a narow road. In the valley itself there is quite a lot of history. As I was on a day trip I could not spend much time exploring. After a quick cooldrink I continued to the end of the road and turned back. I took about an hour and a half each way, going slowly as I was alone and did not want to do anything stupid.

Once back on the Swartberg pass I turned left to Prince Albert . This pass gets quite beautiful as it winds down into the river bed. Quick lunch at the Prickly Pear in town and then boring tar back to Oudtshoorn and Plett. 570 km's for the day. Saddle time of  about 9 hours.

Would love to do this trip using more gravel and sleeping over 2 nights. ;D