Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikers spoil it for others.  (Read 5894 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Bikers spoil it for others.
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 01:23:42 am »
Fair game ou boet ;D Hows things in Slaapstad this year anyway?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:42 am »
The Cape economy is booming, customers are making instant decisions, the woman are willing and we all tell the truth... ;D
Nah...its all ok down here. The place is looking beautiful & i'm off to the Cederberg to rescue a bike this weekend :) A bmw...
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:52 am »
nooit
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dustdevil

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:09 pm »
Should you break open a locked gate?

Then it's private land and you respect that fact.

Not necessary >:( There are plenty of lesser used secondary roads that are locked by farmers because they feel they have a right to do so. As far as I know there must be a sign at the start of the route indicating that the road has been deproclamated and is now a private road. If the farmers neglected this obvious requirement then it becomes impossible for them to prosecute should they find you on their property.

I recently found myself behind a locked gate but on the wrong side. So by the time I reached this gate I was already trespassing. ???

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »
Revival?

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »
There is actually a law on fencing and gates...google it :thumleft:

FENCING ACT
NO. 31 OF 1963
[ASSENTED TO 27 APRIL, 1963]
[DATE OF COMMENCEMENT: 3 MAY, 1963]
(Afrikaans text signed by the State President)

This Act has been updated to Government Gazette 13341 dated 28 June, 1991.   

as amended by
Land Bank Amendment Act, No. 5 of 1968
[with effect from 6 March, 1968]
Fencing Amendment Act, No. 3 of 1971
Fencing Amendment Act, No. 4 of 1978
Transfer of Powers and Duties of the State President Act, No. 97 of 1986
[with effect from 3 October, 1986]
Abolition of Racially Based Land Measures Act, No. 108 of 1991

ACT
To consolidate the laws relating to fences and the fencing of farms and other holdings and matters incidental thereto.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »
There is actually a law on fencing and gates...google it :thumleft:

FENCING ACT
NO. 31 OF 1963
[ASSENTED TO 27 APRIL, 1963]
[DATE OF COMMENCEMENT: 3 MAY, 1963]
(Afrikaans text signed by the State President)

This Act has been updated to Government Gazette 13341 dated 28 June, 1991.   

as amended by
Land Bank Amendment Act, No. 5 of 1968
[with effect from 6 March, 1968]
Fencing Amendment Act, No. 3 of 1971
Fencing Amendment Act, No. 4 of 1978
Transfer of Powers and Duties of the State President Act, No. 97 of 1986
[with effect from 3 October, 1986]
Abolition of Racially Based Land Measures Act, No. 108 of 1991

ACT
To consolidate the laws relating to fences and the fencing of farms and other holdings and matters incidental thereto.

Give us a precis mate....no ones gonna read through that lot... ;D

Offline Drusky

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »
In my experience, treating people as you would like to be treated goes a long way. You can argue a thing like this in all sorts of directions but at the end of the day you must acknowledge what you want and what the other person wants.

I want to explore, the Oom wants to control access to his land. The gate is locked, now people are forced to go to him and request permission to enjoy his property.

Even if the road did not belong to him, he has more right to control it than you because he has to live there. You're just having fun for a day. It would be a different story if you needed to use the road in the course of business.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 06:20:09 pm »
In my experience, treating people as you would like to be treated goes a long way. You can argue a thing like this in all sorts of directions but at the end of the day you must acknowledge what you want and what the other person wants.

I want to explore, the Oom wants to control access to his land. The gate is locked, now people are forced to go to him and request permission to enjoy his property.

Even if the road did not belong to him, he has more right to control it than you because he has to live there. You're just having fun for a day. It would be a different story if you needed to use the road in the course of business.
A lot of time, money, research etc goes into our sport, passion, hobby & lifestyle.....no one has the 'right' to close public roads off. Yes i respect all to!

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
19.   Access to land by authorized persons for certain purposes.—Any person authorized by the Department of Agricultural Technical Services acting through an officer delegated thereto by the Minister, and any person appointed or nominated to determine a dispute in accordance with the provisions of the Second Schedule, may enter upon any land and value, measure, survey, take grades and levels, fell trees, cut fences and do all other acts necessary for the purpose of inspection, valuation or survey or of carrying out any provision of this Act

OK now where do I get an Appointment... :mwink:

22.   Leaving gates open.—Any person who—
   (a)   opens and leaves open or unfastened; or
   (b)   finding open on passing through, neglects to shut and fasten,
a gate in any fence shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding fifty rand or, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding three months or, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to such imprisonment without the option of a fine.

Offline Bie

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2010, 08:51:27 am »
i have found locked gates on public roads

I am also a farmer and also guilty as charged above. What happened here is where an area was depopulated over a period of time. In the past it was possible to make a living on a smaller farm, but in order to survive in farming today you have to expand. The result is that land that used to belong to several farmers are now combined and owned by one or two. At the time that it belonged to several farmers all of them needed access, hence the public road leading there.

To keep unwanted persons off these uninhabited farms the few farmers owning land there decide to lock the first gate and they all get a key, or get to put in their own lock in the chain. It is definitely not with the intention of keeping bikers out as although it infuriates any farmer that finds a gate left open that is not the main problem. Unwanted bakkies loading sheep / equipment is the problem and they are targeted.

I however doubt whether the average person understands the consequences of leaving a gate open has. There can be huge financial implications when different breeds of stock in adjoining camps mix and mate. By the time the farmer sees the open gate it is too late. 5 months later you have a lot of mongrel lambs and that is without the added burdon of getting in all the stock of both camps and classing it all out again. Two day's work and loss of income due to basters, simply because a fool did not take the 2 minutes to stop and close a gate.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 04:28:29 pm »

I am also a farmer and also guilty as charged above. What happened here is where an area was depopulated over a period of time. In the past it was possible to make a living on a smaller farm, but in order to survive in farming today you have to expand. The result is that land that used to belong to several farmers are now combined and owned by one or two. At the time that it belonged to several farmers all of them needed access, hence the public road leading there.

To keep unwanted persons off these uninhabited farms the few farmers owning land there decide to lock the first gate and they all get a key, or get to put in their own lock in the chain. It is definitely not with the intention of keeping bikers out as although it infuriates any farmer that finds a gate left open that is not the main problem. Unwanted bakkies loading sheep / equipment is the problem and they are targeted.

I however doubt whether the average person understands the consequences of leaving a gate open has. There can be huge financial implications when different breeds of stock in adjoining camps mix and mate. By the time the farmer sees the open gate it is too late. 5 months later you have a lot of mongrel lambs and that is without the added burdon of getting in all the stock of both camps and classing it all out again. Two day's work and loss of income due to basters, simply because a fool did not take the 2 minutes to stop and close a gate.
Sounds like your critters were at the Sexpo... ;D

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »

Thats a very valid point you make Bie.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »
Jonas, hoekom spyker jy die skape so?  hau oubaas...die hek hom hy was dan oop....

Offline Bie

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:47 am »
Sounds like your critters were at the Sexpo

The grass is always greener on the other side. Look at it this way - You are at a nudist resort with French models in an adjoining camp on one side and Brazillian beauties on the other side. You are done and dusted with all the girls you had in the camp with you and is waiting for a new challenge. Then someone comes on his merry way, leaving open the very gates denying you access to said neighbours.....   >:D

Will you pay them a courtesy visit or rather run to the furthest corner of your own camp to stay out of harm's way?  :3some:

Come to think of it, in a next life I would like to be a ram.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »
Sounds like your critters were at the Sexpo

The grass is always greener on the other side. Look at it this way - You are at a nudist resort with French models in an adjoining camp on one side and Brazillian beauties on the other side. You are done and dusted with all the girls you had in the camp with you and is waiting for a new challenge. Then someone comes on his merry way, leaving open the very gates denying you access to said neighbours.....   >:D

Will you pay them a courtesy visit or rather run to the furthest corner of your own camp to stay out of harm's way?  :3some:

Come to think of it, in a next life I would like to be a ram.
En dan besluit jou baas jy sal beter wees as net n koggelram!!!! :imaposer: :imaposer:
Ek wil wragtag nie n koggelram wees nie!!!
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rob Monster

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • "KTM give you WINGS"
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2013, 08:36:14 am »
Ja nee, al die werk doen en niks kry nie :drif:
" The best cure for anger is delay "