Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!  (Read 4041 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind - heard kaak things!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 05:28:41 pm »
If these are the guys that I have heard about it sounded like they had more money than common sense ... possibly big toys for guys with small dicks? ... All bikes ridden in very sandy conditions like they did (whatever make) need constant monitoring of the breathing side of things ... virtually daily cleaning of the airfilter if necessary. This is where they went amiss and so over revved and cooked the engines. Now go try and clean the airfilter on a SE ... probably at least an hour job ... why? because YES believe it or not the tank must come off to get at it. Go figure!?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:36:07 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 06:52:22 pm »
I agree that on a GS you would need to do a daily check on the air cleaner in very sandy conditions.  But the SE's filter is a lot bigger and can accumulate a lot more dust, and will need less maintenance on a trip.  I have never had to replace or clean a 950 / 990 filter on a ride, but I have done some cleaning on the 1200 filter, and I replace it about twice between scheduled services on my 1200.  I think the air intake is in a bad place too on the GS, compared with the orange ones. 

Agree with Dom, these are realities that riders need to be aware of and manage them for best performance and reliability of the bike.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 10:44:05 am »
I agree that on a GS you would need to do a daily check on the air cleaner in very sandy conditions.  But the SE's filter is a lot bigger and can accumulate a lot more dust, and will need less maintenance on a trip.  I have never had to replace or clean a 950 / 990 filter on a ride, but I have done some cleaning on the 1200 filter, and I replace it about twice between scheduled services on my 1200.  I think the air intake is in a bad place too on the GS, compared with the orange ones. 

Agree with Dom, these are realities that riders need to be aware of and manage them for best performance and reliability of the bike.

I do agree the air intake snorkel is badly placed on the GS's ... I remember taking this matter up with a BMW R&D head man out from Germany at one of the first GS Challenges. He was just so gobsmacked that we used the machines the way we did that he had no real answer ... did say he would feed it back ... but then in true arrogant BMW fashion they have done fookall about it in all subsequent 1200GS models! bur blazes there are pretty easy fixes for this intake story including a raised snorkel that many have fitted and also a sponge prefilter - no real biggie IMHO. I would rather check my airfilter on a trip than have to carry a spare chain, chainlube,  chain breaker, spare heavy duty tubes, tyre levers ...  :3some:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline mrhyde

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:26 pm »
James, keep the  GSA, buy a cheaper lighter Dualsport / Enduro bike. XR650/TE610/KTM640

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind!!
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 12:44:29 pm »
Get a 950SE  :3some:

plus 1 (to the power of 10)

1 to the power of 10 is still only one

:peepwall:

/nerd mode off...

;D ;D ;D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

KobusL

Re: Wanted BMW HP2 .. sorry changed my mind!!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 12:53:58 pm »
Get a 950SE  :3some:

plus 1 (to the power of 10)

1 to the power of 10 is still only one

:peepwall:

/nerd mode off...

;D ;D ;D

Ah, but he said +1, which makes it 2 (if it was 1 to begin with, unless it was 0 to begin with, or more than 1 to begin with)  :pot:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 01:06:42 pm »
;D ;D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »
hey , wait for jacko's chirp on tis before deciding agaisnt the HP2 ...

bound to be something along the lines of tube tyres and the like
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Leo

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 01:23:11 pm »
I would rather check my airfilter on a trip than have to carry a spare chain, chainlube,  chain breaker, spare heavy duty tubes, tyre levers ...  :3some:

+ 1000

Call me lazy, easy, whatever. To me this is a no brainer  :thumleft: Get the HP  ;D
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Excalibur

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »
Leo, I can confirm you are lazy. Stop your lazyness and get your Highly Priced 2 cylinder this year of hoe se ek nou.  ;D

Offline Oetie

• Race Dog
  • Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »
Leo, I can confirm you are lazy. Stop your lazyness and get your Highly Priced 2 cylinder this year of hoe se ek nou.  ;D

+1 - Hy dreig darem nou BAIE lank om die Highly Priced 2 langs Honey in te laat staan.... :mwink:
Live life to the fullest!!

masehare

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 02:20:02 pm »
James, keep the  GSA, buy a cheaper lighter Dualsport / Enduro bike. XR650/TE610/KTM640

:thumleft:  Best suggestion so far. Crunch some numbers on what you'll have to pay in. Maybe it's cheaper this way.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »
I would rather check my airfilter on a trip than have to carry a spare chain, chainlube,  chain breaker, spare heavy duty tubes, tyre levers ...  :3some:

Ag ou Dom, the idea was not to try and play down the wonderful attributes of the HP.  I just dont have the "gees" so early in 2010 to start all over again with the chain vs shaft, tube vs no tube, condom vs no condom, and all those.  You win.  The HP is the best.  :3some:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

Ag ou Dom, the idea was not to try and play down the wonderful attributes of the HP.  I just dont have the "gees" so early in 2010 to start all over again with the chain vs shaft, tube vs no tube, condom vs no condom, and all those.  You win.  The HP is the best.  :3some:

Ja boet, sorree was just  :pot:  In reality both are awesome weapons each with their own attributes ... as I have said before ... 'different strokes for different folks'  :ricky:

Offline JohnST

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »
boring thread.....   ::)

Bly om te sien niemand se totties het gegroei oor Decemeber nie!  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:57:47 pm by JohnST »
Bakkie hater!!

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »
I expect an hp2 rider to get peedoff and a SE rider to get arrogant it fits the riders that ride different bikes.

KTM 950 SE  blokes are suits that send their scooters to shops that gives free coffee and that thinks orange is the new black since white went out of fasion.

HP 2 riders don't like change (tyre's) still scemes sleeping in a tent is a luxury and not a necesity.
The only color co-ordination they do is comparing the glow of sparkplugs that is used.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I know this is probably all wrong, but al the KTM riders I know is from noordhoek or vredehoek or some othar angle of table mountain. And al the HP riders is afrikaans speaking and from the country.

We can even change this into a soutie boer thing

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 04:04:05 pm »
I expect an hp2 rider to get peedoff and a SE rider to get arrogant it fits the riders that ride different bikes.

KTM 950 SE  blokes are suits that send their scooters to shops that gives free coffee and that thinks orange is the new black since white went out of fasion.

HP 2 riders don't like change (tyre's) still scemes sleeping in a tent is a luxury and not a necesity.
The only color co-ordination they do is comparing the glow of sparkplugs that is used.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I know this is probably all wrong, but al the KTM riders I know is from noordhoek or vredehoek or some othar angle of table mountain. And al the HP riders is afrikaans speaking and from the country.

We can even change this into a soutie boer thing

Nou soek jy kak   :toothy12:  (Best I rest my case)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:05:11 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:31 pm »
Ek mag ek is afrikaner met skotse naam en van en MYSE AUNTIE IS VANNIE ST HELENA EILANDE!!

I want an HP 2 so please stop bad mouthing my dream!!!

However it opens the debate is there realy a HARD ENDURO adv bike???

James I think the SE and HP gives so much power and handling compared to normal adv scoooters that people have to say something bad or unpractical about them.

Both good scooters, I just don't live close to the right berg to have one so I will just stick to an BMW.

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Robertson
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: Julle laat my lekker lag .

Offline Leo

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 06:56:24 pm »
Waar's my drool icon
 :drif: :drif: :drif:

Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!